Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Galaxie Ltd. '46 - '48 Chevrolet Aerosedan

MikeMc

Ken...I have just finished building the chassis. I have the total of two hours in this and some of that was daydreaming!

Low...I had to raise it up a smidge..because the wheel tire combo I used dropped it so low it would of dragged...and the mods done are very real 1:1 mods..right now the glue is drying and the final pictures will be shot and posted.

I nearly wet myself I am so excited to see what you did! :lol:

Be sure to use lots of lights... more is always better here. AND do not get too close to the car. Better to set your camera for high resolution and stand back - then crop later as long as you have the right photo manipulation software.

4 door sedan.

I am pretty sure nobody has made a 4-door sedan of that one yet. I watch pretty close the aftermarket stuff and nothing has come across my computer lately. However....the body work would not be that much more difficult than my stillborn coupe How-To project.

(Time to revive that puppy... CLEAR! Zap... bbbbbbbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

Edited by Jairus

I nearly wet myself I am so excited to see what you did! smile.gif

Be sure to use lots of lights... more is always better here. AND do not get too close to the car. Better to set your camera for high resolution and stand back - then crop later as long as you have the right photo manipulation software.

After 25 years in that trade I do not want to see cameras, stands, skrims...I do like the assistants though.....I shoot quick and simple now ..no stands or blimps ..nuttin just me and the pixels!!!tongue.gifrolleyes.gif

This link will take you there.....The BOMB

OK, this thread has inspired me to start _ or re-start, actually _ my sedan delivery project.

My plan is to take this version of the Aerosedan ...

48_s_3.jpg

... and apply it to the SD.

I will probably do a couple things differently. One is the stance. The model in the pic was obviously built with stock-height suspension. What I probably do is leave the front raised and lower the rear for a more prototypical nose-up early drag car stance.

I might also move the "Wayne Speed Equipment" logos from the hood to the side panels.

At this point, my plan calls for a 100 percent box-stock build.

I'll post some pics when it's done, and will also at that point exclaim, "NOW are you happy, Jairus?" wink.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Ken You will love working with this kit...you can build it and set the suspension just about any way it could have been done

Billy did his with the rear up...play with this and you will be verry happy...

I am going to throw a set of the stock wheels together for some pictures as I'm using a lower set

Today I saw on the road (near JWA) a GMC panel of what sure appeared to be a brother to this. I know I'm off topic a bit considering the direction of the thread, but I thought it was very ironic due to the timing, hopefully it will be considered worth sharing. One thing that struck me was how small it seemed in relation to the size the kit gives me of what it would be like. Not a scale issue, just my perception, then again I was in a big Sprinter van...

This one even had a few speed equipment stickers on the rear windows and was running the stock appearing wheels/tires. Very vinage looking. Of course I did not take pictures, again ironic since I was testing a camera system in the van... Hmmm something to check for tomorrow...

And hey Jairus, nice decal work!

I'm thinking maybe it's a takeoff on that old joke ... you know, the one about the book entitled "Rusty Bedsprings" and its author I.P. Freely ... :lol:

Good one Ken! Chris, that is a beautiful ambulance!

Dave,

Let me make a suggestion. View the car from the correct angle then!

In other words from eyelevel at the same scale as the model from now on. Then the line will look correct.

The problem with model cars is when making a mold of a real item one simply scales down the dimensions but if that is done the result may not look correct. A gentle curve of line 9 feet long with only a 3/4" rise scaled to 1/25 will be completely invisible and nearly impossible to put into a mold unless it is exaggerated.

When I got the first test shots back in '97 or so I brought this up with Gary and we had a long conversation about that very thing.

There actually is a curve to that drip rail but it is sooooo slight as to be invisible once scaled down. The suggestion was made to make the curve greater and more exaggerated, but that idea never materialized unfortunately (along with the upper curves in the rear cargo door window).

The result is that a model and a real example of the same car look quite different because our sight lines are different. How can they not be? Our eyes have not been scaled down and we normally view model cars from much greater elevations in respect to the 1/1 real thing. It is known as "God View".

My suggestion is to take the kit and add your own drip rail and sand out the molding to suit your eyes. :P

... but show me a model car or truck thats perfect.

Dave

My point exactly! I say build it how you like and ###### the torpedos.

Use evergreen, use putty, use a rusty nail.... just paint, glue, build and demonstrate the skills we have learned these past years (many for some of us) and DO IT!

Don't lament, complain, file a grievence, make a new thread, get upset as there really is no model kit that is exact.

JUST BUILD IT THE BEST WAY YOU KNOW HOW!

You guys are terrible! Now you are making me want to pull my Aerosedan out of the stash and start building it! I can't. I have too many projects going and I have to focus! Stop it now! :(

It's too late for me, I already did it, it's in primer as we speak!

as badly proportioned as the old Monogram '69 Camaro kit is, they are still my most favorite kit's of the car :lol:

the newer Revell kit is undeniably worlds better than the Monogram kit, but i love all those cool vintage speed parts and the wonky 4x4 version.

Dave

Best 16" scale American Torq-Thrust style wheels in any kit. smiley_thumbs_up.gif

The Monogram '69 Camaro kits have a decent set of slapper bars, a separate chrome differential cover, and in the molded in white version, a set of Motor Wheel Flys and Spyders. I want to say it hard a decent snorkel hood scoop, too.

I have bought 2 of each versions and also bought Norm Veber's modified chopped Sedan Delivery body

(yes, it is on my list of thing to build).

My father has owned a few 48 aerosedans over the years so I always have liked the 48's. I agree with Tim Boyd about the 41's. I would have liked to see them first. I think it would have sold out sooner(just my personal opinion only not backed up by any facts or figures).

For me I don't think I am a lazy modeler as so much as I just don't have the time to build kits to the max when I have so many I want to build! (for many of us this is not our only hobby)

It took a lot of nadd's to invest the amount of money needed to bring this kit to us at this quality level of a kit I thought we would never see much less 2 versions. You could buy a nice house for that kind of money.

A lot of good points going both directions. I can't believe I took the time to read all 9 pages of post! So I pat myself on the back for that (just kidding,I can't reach my back, bad shoulder)

I too can't believe we don't see more of these built but, when you do see them I think you will agree they are all well done.

The end result of this tread? I think I will pull this one back out and work on it as soon as I finish that 58 resin Chevy I just bought at NNL East!

I am glad I found this forum. Now that I know they are out of production I will get an extra one or two to build down the road. Here is one I am working on right now. Only bummer is that the instructions don't have a paint suggestion part like others as far as engine parts etc. Could have really used that. But overall a great kit.

2010030420090020.jpg

Only bummer is that the instructions don't have a paint suggestion part like others as far as engine parts etc. Could have really used that. But overall a great kit.

As the one who illustrated the directions but didn't write them... I will answer that. Gary and I talked at great length about including color specifications and we kept coming to the single question... WHO'S colors? A stock vehicle had any number of interior color and material choices. The exterior as well. The only color we could specify would have been a stock engine and chassis. A custom could have had it's engine re-painted ANY COLOR!

Plus, is there not a color painting of the frame and engine illustrated on the outside of the box? I am not sure why this statement keeps coming up but I have heard it over and over.

As the one who illustrated the directions but didn't write them... I will answer that. Gary and I talked at great length about including color specifications and we kept coming to the single question... WHO'S colors? A stock vehicle had any number of interior color and material choices. The exterior as well. The only color we could specify would have been a stock engine and chassis. A custom could have had it's engine re-painted ANY COLOR!

Plus, is there not a color painting of the frame and engine illustrated on the outside of the box? I am not sure why this statement keeps coming up but I have heard it over and over.

jairus,

tks for taking time out to answer all questions/doubts/complaints etc. No big deal I guess in my case just got used to seeing that in most cases when it comes to instructions. Thank God these days we can just jump into internet and get refrence pics of 1:1 cars just about anywhere. So no big deal really. Overall a great kit with detail unheard of with most kits out there. I too wonder wy not many are seen built. Sad to know they just sit in a shelf collecting dust.

On a side note my wife got mine at a garage sale for a $1.00. Some parts were missing so I called Gary and he was nice enough to send me some of the parst and sell me a missing trees. Taking into consideration he had to break open a kit to get me some parts that speaks volumes for his company as fas as I am concerned.