Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cook and Bedwell Dragster

jlucky

My next project is the Monogram "Slingshot" dragster which as we all know is essentially the Cook and Bedwell dragster. I'm looking for any building information that I need to take into account to make this a fairly accurate representation. What colour was the car? Blue? Any photos would be a great help.

Thanks

Hey you guys are great...thanks for the quick response. Turns out I was able to find some great photos of the restored car and they were right on my book shelf! For future reference check out the book The Garlits Collection by Mike Mueller published in hardcover in 2004. There are all kinds of cars from the museum detailed in full colour including the Cook and Bedwell dragster. In fact there are eight pages with about a dozen beautiful shots of the cars detail. Again thanks for all the help.

Hey you guys are great...thanks for the quick response. Turns out I was able to find some great photos of the restored car and they were right on my book shelf! For future reference check out the book The Garlits Collection by Mike Mueller published in hardcover in 2004. There are all kinds of cars from the museum detailed in full colour including the Cook and Bedwell dragster. In fact there are eight pages with about a dozen beautiful shots of the cars detail. Again thanks for all the help.

DO NOT--I repeat DO NOT use photos of the restored (I use the term loosely) car in Garlits' museum, if you want to build the Cook and Bedwell dragster. I have no idea where that color or those markings came from, but, neither looks anything like the car as it ran. Wait for Andy Martin's article. It's the one I used to build mine. I don't have a scanner, or I'd scan it for you. Here are a couple of photos of my C&B dragster. I'll be glad to help you with any pointers, if you ask. Jack Smith does the decals for this car. I used a Dupli-Color Ford Blue (don't recall the exact color) on this.

post-1237-12688785242833_thumb.jpg

post-1237-12688785352371_thumb.jpg

post-1237-12688785592095_thumb.jpg

Edited by straightliner1

Straightliner

Great model ! where can I find the article you speak of and the decals you mentioned ?

thanks

Thanks for your kind words regarding the model! It's a little tricky to build, only because you have to build it like an airplane model to add the frame tubes and some of the cockpit details. I think it's worth the effort, though!

The article is from Hot Rod Magazine I think some time in 1957. If I had a scanner, I could scan it for you. Unfortunately, I don't. As for the decals, go to:

http://www.topenddecals.com/TopEnd/Page_1x.html

And click on the "email" button. Jack should be able to help you out! Sorry I can't help you with the article. If Andy Martin's looking in, maybe he has it.

Edited by straightliner1

Thanks for your kind words regarding the model! It's a little tricky to build, only because you have to build it like an airplane model to add the frame tubes and some of the cockpit details. I think it's worth the effort, though!

The article is from Hot Rod Magazine I think some time in 1957. If I had a scanner, I could scan it for you. Unfortunately, I don't. As for the decals, go to:

http://www.topenddecals.com/TopEnd/Page_1x.html

And click on the "email" button. Jack should be able to help you out! Sorry I can't help you with the article. If Andy Martin's looking in, maybe he has it.

Straightliner,

Ok, I think the car is on the cover of the Oct. 1957 issue of HOT ROD Magazine. I figure there's an article in the mag as well on the same car. I've looked through my trash,..I mean STASH of old HOT ROD mags and no luck !

I'll try e-bay next ! Thanks for all the help, By the way, it looks like the car has working steering, correct ?

Pete L.

Edited by Pete L.

Straightliner,

Ok, I think the car is on the cover of the Oct. 1957 issue of HOT ROD Magazine. I figure there's an article in the mag as well on the same car. I've looked through my trash,..I mean STASH of old HOT ROD mags and no luck !

I'll try e-bay next ! Thanks for all the help, By the way, it looks like the car has working steering, correct ?

Pete L.

Actually, my steering doesn't work. I built everything so it would, but, then glued it rigid, just to make sure the spindles didn't break. October 1957 is correct! I don't have the issue, just a photocopy of the cover and the article, but, yes that is the correct issue. It was a fun build. I love all those old Monogram dragsters. If you have questions, I'll be happy to help as much as I can.

I will get the article and scan and load it up tonight.

Andy,

Thank you for yor interest, I'm sure it'll be useful to many modelers on the board.And straightliner for his help as well.

Edited by Pete L.

Okey-doke! here it is! Cover and six pages. These are hosted on my Fotki and are 50%. If you want the original full size scans, PM me with your e-mail and I will send them. They are about 700-800K each.

I like the opening shot with the nosepiece off and the movie camera mounted on the nose. It seems funny that today some street cars and even front drivers go as fast as this dragster did. The onward march of technology is amazing!

Enjoy!

cover2-vi.jpg

page1a-vi.jpg

page2a-vi.jpg

page3a-vi.jpg

page4a-vi.jpg

page5a-vi.jpg

page6a-vi.jpg

Wow. After looking at Andy's scans, there's tons of stuff I couldn't/can't see in the photocopies I have. I could build one a lot more accurately, now. It is what it is, I reckon!

Dan,

Now that I see pics of the actual car your model is even more outstanding ! How did you get the steering wheel to look like tape was wrapped around it ? And the front end is dead on.

Dan,

Now that I see pics of the actual car your model is even more outstanding ! How did you get the steering wheel to look like tape was wrapped around it ? And the front end is dead on.

Thanks for your kind words, Pete! Actually, I cut thin strips of electrical tape and wrapped the wheel with it. I scratched the wheel from Evergreen rod and a disc punched from sheet, then used Plastruct hex to cut the bolt heads from.

• 1 year later...