Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lots of unwanted things happen to me and my models during construction.

I'm sure the members here have lots of examples, but here are two of mine to get the ball rolling:

1) When scribing a panel line with the back of a No 11 blade, several passes are needed to make an impression. However, the first time the blade jumps out of the groove, a deeper gash is created in one single pass :angry:

2) Why is it that a small part prefers to stick to my greasy, oily fingers, rather than the piece it is being superglued to? :huh:

Along with this, why is it that when using superglue, the part won't always instantly stick to where you want it to be glued, however it will stick instantly to the spot it falls on when you let go hoping it sticks. :lol:

I have never cut myself that badly. I guess I have been lucky. A couple weeks ago I was working at the bench in shorts and watched the sharp thing roll off the edge toward my lap. remembering the wisdom of those sages on this forum, i did not immediatly try to catch the sharp knife with my privates, but instead spread my legs so the knife could hit the floor......blade stuck in back of my left calf on the way down. Didn't even try to explain that to my wife. just cleaned it up and moved on...

I have never cut myself that badly. I guess I have been lucky. A couple weeks ago I was working at the bench in shorts and watched the sharp thing roll off the edge toward my lap. remembering the wisdom of those sages on this forum, i did not immediatly try to catch the sharp knife with my privates, but instead spread my legs so the knife could hit the floor......blade stuck in back of my left calf on the way down. Didn't even try to explain that to my wife. just cleaned it up and moved on...

The other day I dropped the knife out of my mouth and luckily I was wearing jeans or it would have stabbed into a major arterie.

• 1 year later...

For those of you that followed the Zombie / apocalyptic build off . I built a Peterbilt and used razor blades for a " clearance " bar on the front bumper .

In a hurry , I reached into the top drawer of a cabinet that the truck was sitting on , knocking off the front bumper in the process . Suddenly , I hear this rapid dripping sound . Looking down , I see a growing puddle of red .

Yep ! One of my own creations bit me on the knuckle ! The shop pup just sat there , cocking his head at my antics and the expected cussing that went with them ! Lmao !

I used a Round blade X-Acto to fix something in my room and set it down.

It was on my Bed!!

I put my hand down to reach over to get up, and it came down across the blade!!.

My right hand pointer finger First knuckle.

Semi-luckily, it came up right between the hand & Thumb but Did slice!!!

I wrapped it tight with kleenex and tape, then went back to sleep. (AFTER moving the knife OFF my bed!!!

Later the next day, I went to the doctors. $175.oo and 2 stitches!!! OUCH!!

I have curt myself while building, restoring, taking one apart for resto MANY times!!

I too have dropped parts not to be able to find them.

Worst, one of the tires/hubcaps from an AMT 55 Nomad. Watched it roll.

Saw where it went, then.........................

NOT There!!!, Still not found it!

How about parts that fit together perfectly during umpteen test fits, then you apply glue for the final assembly, and suddenly they don't fit?! Auuuuugh!

I was working on an ancient AMT 32 Ford coupe. All the way through mockup, and test fitting after paint, all was well. When I polished and decaled the body, all of a sudden the cowl was almost 1/8 inch too high. Grrrrrrrrr!