Model Cars Magazine Forum

Boyd's Ice Blue Pearl question

I plan on painting a Catalina with Boyd's Ice Blue Pearl. I first tested on some plastic spoons using airbrushed Model Master aluminum metalizer as the base coat, then many layers of the Ice Blue pearl. I was expecting the color to really pop, but it didn't. It looked nice, but not like i thought it would. I tested on a few primary colors as a basecoat to no avail. Is.there something i should be using specifically as a basecoat to make the pearl really pop out?

I agree with Jonathan, a picture would help. I think with some pearls you have to tinker and maybe apply a little bit more bling to them, either through another coat of clear or with maybe a little bit of a different pearl color or effect.

Again, if you have not tried the Pearl Ex powders, you should, the line comes with a few blues and transference blues that would augment what you have.

I'm not sure about pearls, but I've had great luck with gloss black as a basecoat under metallics. The spoon at the far left has gloss black as the base, and the color is very rich compared to the other two spoons(the metallic blue is the same on all three).

DSCN2332-vi.jpg

Never have seen the Ice Blue Pearl by Boyds. I've used the True Blue Pearl and I always spray it over black. I wonder what pearls would look like sprayed over chrome paint?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a metallic color , any corresponding standard color will help

bring out the Ice Blue Pearl . Try sky blue and watch what happens !

Donn, after seeing other pics of your work the other day, I was impressed. This sounds like an interesting solution to Doug's problem. Would you happen to have an example of this combo we could see?

Monty ,

Best suggestion for examples , go to my website at oldmansmodels.com . Look for the Jack's Frost ' 69 Nova . This was shot with a light blue base , and then shot over with the Ice Blue Pearl .

Another thing that I love about the enamels from Testor , you can mix & match different colors to your heart's content ! Never , ever a worry with incompatibility !

I will leave it to the master, Doug. Donn has probably forgotten more about painting than I ever hope to know.

Jim ,

Be that as it may ... You were one of the smart ones , you bought the DVD ! That caught you up real quick , all that's left for you to do now is practice and experiment . From what I have seen ... You caught on real quick , your paintwork has improved significantly in a very short period of time . Most of which , can be credited to your passion and diligence for acheiving quality paint finishes .

Another question- how long are you waiting before you spray the Ice Blue over the basecoat? I've had issues in the past where I would spray my color coat over the base or primer coat when the initial coats were not fully cured. That can dull the color/gloss coat or change the shade of the paint. I began making sure my primer or basecoat was fully cured before spraying any color or gloss coats, and haven't had the problem since. Really befuddled me for a long time before I realized what I was doing!

Okay. A darker silver basecoat might help, but I think Donn's suggestion of using Sky blue would be pretty much sure-fire.Sky blue is pretty close to Ice blue and would be a great base. It's been a long time since I used any Testors Boyd's colors, so I don't really remember how opaque they are but you did say you added quite a few coats of color, I think with Donn's method you'd be more or less 'tinting' the Sky blue base with the Ice blue pearl for a darker shade of Ice.

Several of the Boyds colors are a bit more translucent then the others , you happened to pick one of them !

From personal experience , I can tell you this color is not going to " jump " for you , it is a subtle color . Adding the Pearl X overcoats will make it dance a bit more for you . You can also add different colors into the Ice Blue mix itself .

Chuck ,

You are correct ! A deeper blue will bring it out . Anytime you use a similar base color , the

Pearls help create a subtle flipflop . Far from gaudy , it is a suprising change that flows with direct light . The slightest movement of light or the body will cause the color to shift and change.

Monty ,

Best suggestion for examples , go to my website at oldmansmodels.com . Look for the Jack's Frost ' 69 Nova . This was shot with a light blue base , and then shot over with the Ice Blue Pearl .

Another thing that I love about the enamels from Testor , you can mix & match different colors to your heart's content ! Never , ever a worry with incompatibility !

Amen to that, and you will certainly end up painting 20 vehicles just to see how that colors shimmers! I love this hobby, I do, I do, I do!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: