Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 wants to know what you want!

From a Round2 post on Facebook:

These are great ideas - just to let everyone know 2013 is already planned and 2014 is under consideration. There are many things that go into the decision to issue or re-issue a model kit. The primary concern is - will it sell? Secondary to that is what it will cost to develop. While there are some kits that would be amazing to make - the demand is so low that it is cost prohibitive - but it is fun to dream about what kind of cars we would have if there were no limits, right?

I am not 100% positive, but I believe the AMT 72 Shortbox GMC Stepside was

modified/butchered into the Longbos Fleetside we have seen the past 15+ years.

It is not the MPC Tow truck last seen as "Cooter's".

As for a 99+ Crown-Vic. Testor's did offer the Classic Metal Works Police car in Kit form.

Yes It IS a Die Cast!!.

I have 2 different Kits. Silver Series issue with 3 options, Denver, Chicago, & NYPD

3 different lightbars & decals, & painted white

And CHP. This one was a Gold Series, and painted black & White.

my own personal top 5 are ( in no particular order )

1965 Plymouth Belvedere

1965 Mercury Comet

1971 (or 1972) Dodge Demon ( thank you thank you thank you )

1966 Plymouth Satellite,,, stock and maybe even a Petty nascar version

1971 Dodge Challenger.

a Bonus would be any ' pre 1972' Dodge truck.

simple re-issues

Polar lights Funnycar kits ( don't matter which ones )

AMT 1964 Comet

1972 Chevrolet pickup / wrecker combination

Yea, I know.my list is geared towards Mopar stuff. I just can't think of any of off brands right now that I would want more than the above.

I tend to believe a 1960 thru 1972 Big body chrysler kit would do reasonably well .???? anyone tried to buy a decent builder 1960-61 New Yorker kit lately?, if so open the wallet up wide .

How about a 1957 up thru 1960 Desoto kit ?

1961 Pontiac Catalina maybe ?

How about a 1972 or 1973 Gran Torino ? I think the Nascar guys would snatch these up like hotcakes

I second the motion on the Demons!

I am not 100% positive, but I believe the AMT 72 Shortbox GMC Stepside was

modified/butchered into the Longbos Fleetside we have seen the past 15+ years.

It is not the MPC Tow truck last seen as "Cooter's".

Actually the two toolings are separate. There's the GMC tooling and the Chev tooling and both have been issued in various forms. The GMC was originally released as the Sierra Grande 8' wide side and then modified to make the 6' step side. They may have borrowed the fenders from the Chev tooling, which had both an 8' wide side and step side bed. I don't believe the Chev was ever released as a 6' step side, although don't quote me on that.

And, actually, I believe it was AMT had the GMC and MPC had the Chev. When AMT bought MPC they had both trucks.

Edited by kataranga

Since this is a wish list topic, here goes :

60 Brookwood wagon

60 Pontiac Bonneville

62 Galaxy- any version

60 El Camino

62-3 Ford F-100

60 Ford F-100

59 Chevrolet Apachie P. U.

59 Mercury- any version

3-in 1 Customizing boat

63 Pontiac Bonneville

63 Buick Electra

64 Pontiac Gran Prix

68 Impala

72 GMC trk

68 Dodge Coronet

67 Dodge

67 Ford Galaxy

Piranha - Man from U. N. C. L. E .version

60 Corvair

M. P. C version of the 64 Covette coupe

Astro I Corvette prototype

Tognotti's King T

AMT & MPC Both offered 67-72 Chevy Longbox Fleetside kits.

Beginning in 69 it is easy to tell them apart, AMT's kit now had the Pins &

separate lowering blocks.

MPC's kit used the wire rod axle through ALL issuses

I have several I can show this.

AMT offered the Longbox Sierra Grande's from about 70 up

Then sometime in the late 70's or early 80's came out with the Shortbox Stepside.

Again I have a few in Both box art.

During this time MPC offered a Longbox step side in 3 versions.

1974 issue is called Stepside, molded white, boxart has a Gold built.

This issue included the Yamaha Trail bike.

Second version of this kit is the "Heavy Pedal"

This one was molded in black to match the box art. (I have 2 of this kit unbuilt)

Last version is the "Rollin' Thunder". Kit was molded blue, again to match the box art.

This time they added a "Sleeper Box" and custom tube grill in the stock grill frame

Both this one & Heavy Pedal have a Heavy Duty front bumper.

The Heavy Pedal issue still had a Stock 71/72 grill, but it was deep set in the frame,

instead of flush..

Almost at the same time, we had the one time issue of "Cooter's" Hazzard Garage tow truck.

The Heavy Pedal box has a 1982 copy write date. Cooter's was in that time line too.

I do not know the date of issue for Rolling Thunder. I don't have that kit.

There is No date on the Original issue Shortbox Stepside GMC, the second issue is

dated 1990.

It has a wire rod axle for the front like MPC's Chevy's always have, though with 2 position lowering blocks,

but it has the single snorkle flatter aircleaner like other AMT versions since at least the 69.

MPC's was always the domed unit with no intake snorkle (MPC never had lowereing blocks)

The First most recent re-issue of the 72 Longbox Fleetside is dated 95!!
The is the Yellow & white box art.

Since this issue, they have the Pins for front axles. Also the grill is Not correct. It is too stubby

Cut the grill & bumper apart as in the original MPC kit and there is a large gap between them

if the grill is mounted at the top of the opening and the bumper in its correct location.

There have been 4 total re-issues of this kit since 95, but it still is Hard to find & expensive.

Other differences between the kits, AMT mostly had Dual exhaust, MPC single with the correct

cross-over Manifold.

I am now not sure the Last Fleetside re-issues started with the GMC Shortbox Stepside, but

can not believe the Hazzard issue would have made the alterations to the tooling so glaring.

Did you know Both offered the Tow Truck options from 67??

However, Only MPC altered the tow bed parts for the Fire Truck, and only MPC offered the

Open Road Mini-Motor Home & Racer's Wedge versions.

It's good to see that those '50s cars are doing so well. It gives me hope that my daydream ('56 Continental Mk II) might come true. Such an elegant car.

Ditto. I (and others) posted that on Round 2's Facebook page. Good subject for Moebius and Revell as well (in 1/25), but it seems kits of that era need to be good candidates for rods, customs and race cars to be successful in the marketplace.

Ditto. I (and others) posted that on Round 2's Facebook page. Good subject for Moebius and Revell as well (in 1/25), but it seems kits of that era need to be good candidates for rods, customs and race cars to be successful in the marketplace.

Have you ever seen the Mk II owned by head Goodguy Gary Meadors? It was in Custom Rodder in the mid-'90s. Subtle mods and a stunning car. Check it out on Google (I may have the owner's name wrong, but he is head of the Goodguy R&C organization)

How about Tognotti's "T" and "Wilhelm's Wonder" double kit ? As for the '64 Comet I second the motion and while they're at it add it to the slot car series...drag car w/decals and 100,000 miles at 100 miles and hour and the safari options...

I replied to their question with, why not an all new model kit of a 1/25 scale '69-'70 Mustang.

The possibility's are almost endless, so the tool can be designed to eject many different siblings, keeping it in the production facility for quite some time.

Maybe many of you think, another Mustang, but that's not the point, Mustang is iconic nameplate worldwide....and guess it will translate in healthy sales and be a show case for current Round-2 engineering.

My dream kit, would be a '69 or 70 Cadillac DeVille, but I guess I will have to rob a bank to buy the vintage Jo-Han kit ;)

Edited by Luc Janssens

Anything other than 57 chevys and 32 ford, i know why they make them, because they sell but i think we have enough of them

Nope. Still waiting on a good 57 Nomad, and a good stock 32.

I think it's great they are re-releasing the old stuff. The only gripe I have is they should pay more attention to the QC side of things. I recently got two of the Young American F/E dragster kits and both had multiple warpage problems (frames, main body panels, seat, and more). It's great they are willing to replace the parts but I really would rather not have to go through the hassle and have the parts right the first time around.

Charlie

Pro Tech