Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trabant 601 Universal

Ah procrastination is my friend! I've meant to do the kombi conversion from the old curbside kit after seeing one done, but never got there . Now Revell has done the heavy lifting so I need one of those. I only recently got the newer Trabbie with engine so this is a real treat!

I love the work you did on it, especially leaving the roof as removable. Great build!

I was wondering what that "XDX" on my decal sheet was about, makes perfect sense it is the old east Germany. now I wonder if it is a common real life thing, to X out the initials except D, as a protest against the communist regime that was, or a symbol of unity among a formerly divided people; or whether this is some sort of censorship by the company along the lines of blacking out swatstikas on decal sheets. probably not though seeing as they give you the unblemished decals as well along with about 5 others. great kit!

jb

Probably when Germany reunified this was the easiest way to do it instead of buying a new "D" sticker, just cross out the other letters in DDR.

I noticed the trailer hitch, too. I doubt Trabis could tow that much. Shoot, just the added weight of the hitch alone was probably enough to make them pop a wheelie!

It's a great looking model, I like that the roof can stay loose to show off the interior. Might have to snag one of these...

Thanks again guys! I am glad you all like it :)

About the hitch, one needs to understand that in Europe, the use of the hitch is a lot different. My wife is American and thought it was ridiculous that normal passenger cars over here have a hitch, Whilst in the States, only the heavier vehicles have one.

Over here we use it to tow small trailers, fold-up tent-trailers, bike racks and caravan's (campers). Even though the Trabant can not haul anything very heavy, a small trailer is absolutely possible and would be considered normal.

Here is my car hauling a large small trailer

megane21.jpg

And hauling somewhat bigger caravan

megane29.jpg

Well done, great build. Here in the UK we don't see any but when we out last Sunday we followed a German registered saloon. I believe the two stroke engine was two cyinders where as a friend has an early SAAAB 96 which had the three cylinder two stroke engine.

Very good job! You hit the original perfect in my view.

William Just explained it corretcly, whats with the "XDX" on the Sticker. Thats a nice touch of the kit!

About the hitch.

There were a lot of "lightwight-caravans in old East Germany. for example:

caled "Queck Junior"

trabis-tief-im-westen-trabant-zieht-wohn

"Würdig 301"

Trabant_Kombi_mit_Wohnwagen_%28204863188

or "Weferlinger Heimstolz"

253_Trabant_1958_P50-_2-Dr.-Sedan-and-We

and also "Klappfix"

Klappfix.jpg

here in build condition:

Klappfix63-7.jpg

;)

s

• 1 month later...

Erik- I am currently working on this same kit. I came back to this thread to see how you handled the trim that starts on the fender tops and continues the length of the car. The kit has these as rather fine little pieces. Your model looks as if you left them off? What did you do?

This is a very nice kit which should build up nicely. I did notice that the kit allows for the rear hatch to be either up or down, but not operable. I'm working on hinging it right now.

Erik- I am currently working on this same kit. I came back to this thread to see how you handled the trim that starts on the fender tops and continues the length of the car. The kit has these as rather fine little pieces. Your model looks as if you left them off? What did you do?

This is a very nice kit which should build up nicely. I did notice that the kit allows for the rear hatch to be either up or down, but not operable. I'm working on hinging it right now.

I left it off, to me it looked wrong, like they tilted it 90 degrees in how it suppose to be on. It just didn't looked right to me, so I decided to omit the trim. It was also way to big.

If you really want the trim on the car, I think it is better to BMF a strip of styreen and put that on instead.

The hatch is hinged operable out of the box, except for the lifters, they come in a fixed position. There should be room for improvement. I 'd like to see your solution.

@Glenn, check the first post ;-)

• 3 months later...