Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 VW Beetle.

Shelby 427 1965

Tamiya kit, I have a WIP in the WIP, it's a couple pages back though.

Built box stock apart from the spotlight taken from the parts box, the roof rack, and the oil drum on top. Used masking tape for the "strap". Wheel is the spare that's supposed to go on the bonnet. Used some decals from the parts box to cover up a couple blemishes too. Lowered slightly at the front.

I had some fitment issues, so I ended up having to glue the front hood shut and the bonnet had to remain open, so I rusted around the handle, not unlike what I did with the VW Van to cover up it's many fitment issues...

Built it how I'd have one - rusty, with a lot of character.

Looks very cool next to the van I think :)

tumblr_n8v9t9pLif1qlq9k4o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n8v9t9pLif1qlq9k4o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_n8v9t9pLif1qlq9k4o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_n8v9t9pLif1qlq9k4o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_n8v9t9pLif1qlq9k4o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n8v9t9pLif1qlq9k4o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n8v9t9pLif1qlq9k4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n8v9t9pLif1qlq9k4o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n8v9t9pLif1qlq9k4o6_1280.jpg

Hope you like. Cheers!

- Tomo

Love it! You don't see models built in this style very often, like an actual driver with some years on it. They're usually the extremes of showroom new or rusted out hulks. Love it and the van.

I think maybe it could use some rust spots on other areas just to tie into the theme, with only the engine cover done it kinda draws your eye to it instead of blending into the rest of the car. But the level of gloss is perfect for that used look.

Edited by Brett Barrow

Thanks everyone, really means a lot! Very happy with it myself.

@Brett - I had thought about it but I had already done that with the van, and I didn't want it to be a total rust bucket.. There is more subtle rust all around it though, the pics don't really bring it out unfortunately.. My brother, a Beetle owner, took great pride in telling me how rusty they can be all round!

@Jason - Frankly, at that point, I was fed up and just wanted it off the desk :P Next time if I have the same issue I would try that though.

@Chris - Yes, it's lowered very slightly just at the front, I made my own mounting point for the suspension just higher up than the original one which gave it strength and just the right height.

Thanks again everyone! :)

What's keeping the decklid from closing? Could you sand down or modify whatever it is, to get the lid to close completely? It's a really well done model... if only you could figure out the problem out back. I'd also suggest a black wash on the rear vent slots.

And BTW... I don't understand the unpainted taillight housings. :blink: