Model Cars Magazine Forum

was just toying with the idea of the stepside from another kit. Will be assembling the actual bed for this truck shortly.

Modded the frame, took out the trans xmember and spare tire piece. trans xmember will be "tube or box" so it's level with the frame rails.

these wheels are resin scale 20's. I think they fit the look of the truck perfectly.

nice start , i dig the wheels , big but still vintage looking :)

I'd have to agree with Richard. I love those rims, would love to get my hands on a set of them. Where would one find them? Truck looks great great laid out, I actually like the step side look. Can't wait to see where your taken this one, looking forward to more photos and updates. Welcome to the site btw

nice start , i dig the wheels , big but still vintage looking :)
Thank you! I had several ideas in my head, but when I saw these, i knew they were it!

I'd have to agree with Richard. I love those rims, would love to get my hands on a set of them. Where would one find them? Truck looks great great laid out, I actually like the step side look. Can't wait to see where your taken this one, looking forward to more photos and updates. Welcome to the site btw
Thanks! Yeah I love the stepside on it, it eats the wheel which I love, has me thinking for the 65 lol! Thanks for the welcome. Edited by relaxednoma

You got my attention now.
awesome!

gonna look sweet!
Thanks!

Here's the link to the seller from eBay for the current auction for a set of the wheels. The tires I got are pegasus 20's. He also lists a set of 18/20 OEM style Super Sport wheels, which I snagged a set of those (on their way) a few days ago. And he's had a set of 18/20 mopar steelies to.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e736a6b8e

I appreciate the kind words! I've decided to put the focus on this one, the wheels & tires arriving for it really got me inspired to get this one show worthy, possibly for the Indy show that's coming in 2 weekends (Circle City I think). I'm thinking I'm going to grab a photo etched grill (I believe they make one for this). I have a billet gas cap as well. Motor at the moment is undecided. I contemplated doing a tube chassis from aluminum round tube, but I'll forgo that to just build the exhaust out of it for now lol. Interior will have a billet steering wheel.

I basically envision and build models as if they were a 1:1 for myself mostly.

With the trans crossmember cut out, along with the spare tire i stuck the interior tub and put it in place on the frame, and stuck the bed floor in place so I can get an idea of where/what I'll need to cut to get the axle up far enough, Just sat the bedside for the truck there for mock up purposes.

IMG_20121016_194345.jpg

IMG_20121016_194403.jpg

Man Scott, I was diggin that step side but then you went and stuck the other bed on there and I have to say, I might like that one a little more. Just flows nicely and still eats that rear wheel right up. Can't wait to see more progress, keep it going.

Man Scott, I was diggin that step side but then you went and stuck the other bed on there and I have to say, I might like that one a little more. Just flows nicely and still eats that rear wheel right up. Can't wait to see more progress, keep it going.
Thanks Jason, I appreciate the good words. Yeah I loved the stepside, but the more I look at the fleetside i'm sold on it. This is also somewhat a scale version of what my next 1:1 truck (give or take a few years) will be. I intend on a 55ish GM truck, although it may be an Apache.

Either bed is gonna look awesome on this one

Thanks Ken!

Here's some of the inspiration for these style builds. Keep in mind this 59 Apache would be a solid one color for paint and on billets though. I took these at the Pumpkin Run Nationals this year in Owensville, Ohio.

261848_10151037553601467_1954009317_n.jpg

176131_10151037366841467_2083318763_o.jpg

whats going under the hood of that cool 55 chevy if u got a older revell 57 chevy car the one that doors open theres a nice scale 8pack or fuelie smallblock in that kit

Well, I'm still somewhat open on that to be honest, I've really leaned hard towards a modern LSx motor, to go along with the scale 20 inch rallye's. But.....a good old mouse motor just may be the ticket.

I LOVE it. Those wheels are basically perfect. I will be following this one.

Thank you! I went through so many combo's in my head, but when I saw these, I knew they were it!

Any progress on this one, Scott?

Only a smidgen. This week has been a bit more intense work wise and I've been stripping a Sir Michaels rollpan for my 1:1 daily driver sierra in an attempt to get it primed and over to line-x so they can spray the backside of it. Along with tinting 4 sets of tailights for "customers" amonngst other fun daily stuff lol,

But. I did get the hood filled and smoothed, started cleaning up some areas of the cab I wasn't happy with. Attached the firewall to the interior tub (yet I left the hood on for the picture DOH). Experimented with the wheels, painted them with the silver to see if I like it or not. Still unsure on that as well. And not sure if I'll stay with this satin green to be totally honest. I'd like to say I'll get the front suspension in place this weekend at least.

IMG_20121026_060855.jpg?t=1351252038

Yeah work sucks...been working a lot myself lately. But the good thing is, I work at home so, I can check the forum while here. :D

On older trucks and projects, I am kind of partial to Krylon Olive green myself...gives it a laid back version of military green.

Edited by Skydime

you could even do it satin black , rims candy red and the top of the roof also candy red .. brings back the color in a second location and ties in everything hmm or like i said and also make a bed cover and do that candy red also option option options :)

lol i honestly stared at the kandy red and green yesterday @ hobby lobby for several minutes, but couldn't make up my mind so I opted for the blue angels yellow, at least for the moment for the wheels. Satin black though, is for sure going to be the body color. I'm very much debating on the kandy red vs kandy green vs. even kandy blue for the roof/wheels though. i almost bought a second one of these kits when I saw it on the shelf to ! lol

Yeah work sucks...been working a lot myself lately. But the good thing is, I work at home so, I can check the forum while here. :D

On older trucks and projects, I am kind of partial to Krylon Olive green myself...gives it a laid back version of military green.

That's awesome! work @ home? Are you in the computer world? I ask because i do Information Security / Infrastructure / Engineer work for a financial institution and I can work from home when need be, although a previous job had me 100% telecommute (that was awesome)

so true!

I'm somewhat stuck on satin black, with the roof in the Blue Angels yellow and wheels the same.

Not to much progress at this point, started sanding out some of the mold marks and such. Goal is to have it bodyworked and in satin black asap. Then I'll go after taping off the roof and getting it sprayed. I've puttied up the back piece that is glued to the bottom of the cab.

Planning out what to do for the suspension. Thought about grafting in a new subframe to be honest for the front.