Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shiny 1950 Chevy Pick Up Truck (Mild)

Hey Virg ,

You misunderstood my post ! Lol ! You made the comment in a previous post that I would be the one to shoot the enamel with the fenders on , been there , done that ! Yes , it can be done , however , it is soooo much easier to paint them separately , hence my comment !

I know, Donn. With the years of experience you've already clocked it, I am sure you've built them in every way, which is why I always listen to you. Don't I? Yes, I do, and which is why I think my models have improved in the last couple of years.

So, thank you, my friend.

Jim,

yes, just like the dodge pickup

Doc,

I do not have any video tutorials at this time. But I do have a few things in the works.

I watched the video of the spoon test. If I may make a suggestion...don't trail off with the airbrush on every flame lick. What I mean is, just spray a small section of the stecil and let that be it. I realize that the spoon test was only step 1, Just a simple suggestion.

You may want to order a set of the mike levallee true fire stencils in the nano size, if you haven't already.

here's a picture of a hood that a friend of mine and I did when I was 1st trying out the process. I'm not 100% happy with it...but i am hardly ever 100% happy.

scottyshood.jpg

here's a few more to possibly help (not green fire)...

nitrousbottle.jpg

truefiremicrophone2.jpg

Now, I'm not a pro at this and I learn a little more each time I do this technique.

You might want to get yourself some reference photos of fire. It sounds silly, but it does help.

Be sure to go sparringly on your "highlight" color. And don't stress it too much...it is only paint and can be fixed.

I hope this helps you out some and didn't confuse you even more.

Thanks for the great tip, Paul. I actually caught myself doing it way too often today. I normally hold back.

Great work on the flames. I went through a period where I was putting flames on everything, including a thermos and a flask and some Zippo lighters. It's hard to get the flame licks to look in scale because of the templates, but that's just me coming up with more excuses. LOL.

Again, thanks for the help and the inspiration.

The paint job on this one took the whole day and heck of a lot of practice. Even though I am not entirely pleased with the scale of the licks and the flames, I do like the overall look of it . . . and tomorrow I get to finish putting all the bling and the clear.

IMG_0019-vi.jpg

The skulls also need a little bit more detailing. My shortcomings as an airbrusher will always include the use of templates because I cannot free hand graphics. So it goes.

IMG_0020-vi.jpg

The shine you see is from the use of the candies . . . also the Shimrin2 bling is part of a new shipment I just got. This stuff is more expensive than freakin' caviar or truffles.

IMG_0021-vi.jpg

Thanks, everyone. Last night I made some modifications to the paint job which I think make it look a lot better. I really like it now, and again, thanks to all those who chimed in with suggestions.

Mike Levallee's golden rules say "Loose to tight, dark to light!" which is a way of keeping these kinds of paint jobs going. It really helped in this case.

Here are some progress pictures of where it's at now. I still have to add the BLING and the clear coat to it, but I like it so far:

IMG_0014-vi.jpg

The shimmer of blue you see in this next pictures IS a shimmer of true blue I added to the flying embers, and to the lower rocker panels for a bit more BLING.

IMG_0016-vi.jpg

Even without the final coats of bling and the clear, this one is already POPPING in the light.

Edited by Dr. Cranky