Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cruise night diorama

Sixties Sam

I was messing around with my car show diorama and decided to set up a Cruise Night scene. Here are some pics with cars cruising and others parked in the parking spaces along Main Street in a typical small town.

9567630086_e10bcf975e_z.jpg

The ice cream man even showed up!

9567630140_3a0dce8cda_z.jpg

9567630202_1b75656552_z.jpg

9567666520_4f09323048_z.jpg

The 32 Ford is my latest build. Curbside resin body finished with parts box stuff. The spot on its top is a 6" long bug! We grow 'em big in PA!

9567666584_626e4bbe74_z.jpg

Comments welcome.

Sam

Great looking diorama. Cars with drivers and other figures doing realistic activities really set up the scene. Your main street buildings look very realistic also. Excellent attention to detail. very impressive.

Carl

Edited by dptydawg

Beautiful! But how do you keep the dust off?

Tony

Tony, after taking photos, the models go back on the shelves in a china cabinet, and the diorama base stores in the basement. It does get dust down there, but I clean it off for photos. Actually, a little dust adds to the realism. Real buildings don't stay clean and bright for long in the weather.

Sam

nice !! looks awsome ..

btw maybe something for the future ? > if you want to change stuff later on i would try to use medium grey sandpaper for tarmac and with a black wash .. that almost looks like the real deal ..

still like your road surface as it is but you kind of see its painted wood ...like said does look great ..

ment nice ^^ :)

nice !! looks awsome ..

btw maybe something for the future ? > if you want to change stuff later on i would try to use medium grey sandpaper for tarmac and with a black wash .. that almost looks like the real deal ..

still like your road surface as it is but you kind of see its painted wood ...like said does look great ..

ment nice ^^ :)

I originally used black foam board for the pavement, but when I displayed the dioramas in the sun at car shows, the foamboard warped and lifted up badly. I replaced it with plywood and painted it black, but you're right, it looks like painted plywood! I'm thinking the sandpaper might want to curl and lift up in the sun too. I might try some textured paint that I used on a different diorama a few years ago. It seems pretty stable.

• 1 year later...

I originally used black foam board for the pavement, but when I displayed the dioramas in the sun at car shows, the foamboard warped and lifted up badly. I replaced it with plywood and painted it black, but you're right, it looks like painted plywood! I'm thinking the sandpaper might want to curl and lift up in the sun too. I might try some textured paint that I used on a different diorama a few years ago. It seems pretty stable.

Test a pice with rubberized undercoating spray, I think that might do the trick, your diorama looks fantastic by the way !!

Awesome..I love stuff like this. How did you do the buildings? are those in a "kit" or did you scratchbuild them? I recognize the G scale train figures. I have some but not the ones sitting down. How well do the seated figures fit inside the cars?

A suggestion for the road pavement might be some of that spray textured paint followed with flat black and maybe weathered with a dark grey wash of some type. I've used painted sandpaper for a parking lot on my custom hot rod shop diorama years ago... It sorta works but is difficult to glue on. I used a thin layer of wood glue and it made the sandpaper want to roll up. Had to use some books to keep it held down until dry. But it still showed a bunch of imperfections from the gluing process when I painted it flat black. texture looks great but I would be more apt to try the textured paint next time. that or a better glue like a spray on 3M brand .

But I do like your excellent work here. If I had the space, I would build dioramas on this scale.