Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

No problem Curt. I didn't know that, but now that you mention it, it makes sense. I'm pretty open about not being a gear head so I just learn as I go. I can't shoot for 100% accuracy because I've already made a different, grievous error on the engine that I covered by trying to make it look like it's supposed to be that way (creating doubt is a great get-out-of-jail-free tool). And I don't mean the floating pulleys Harry. I won't divulge the answer until the end when everyone could care less. :)

:o you haven't got the firing order wrong have you!

I watched the movie yesterday as "research". I'd forgotten how badly it's dated.

Still, it helped me firm up some design decisions and reinforced my belief that it's not about top speed, it's about not getting stopped.

So I was wracking my brains trying to decide what sort of vehicle would not get stopped (not an ambulance - we see the cops pull Burt over) and ended up thinking about Federal agencies.

And I think I have come up with a doozy of a paint scheme. Something no cop in his right mind is going to want to pull over.

What is it?

Well that would be telling...

is anyone else having issues putting up pix here?? i've been trying all day and keep getting a [stopped script] blah blah blah yadi yada....

anyhoo...my entry is the revell muscle 69 superbee 440 6pak. since fuel economy is an issue here i've decided to ditch the 6pak in favor of a single 4bbl and i'm using an intake from an old johan petty nascar kit, pretty sure it was a superbird but might have been a roadrunner. the carb comes from the engine parts box and i have no idea as to its origin. tenatively, i'm running goodyear nascar eagles with nascar rims (but that could change) stance has been lowered 3 1/2 scale inches all around and the color will be grabber green w/ black interior. sure wish i could get these pix up...if anyone might could maybe help with that, please do!

I had the same problem after photobucket changed. When you copy and paste the link, delete anything that comes after "jpg" in the URL, and it will post.

Anyway, all of the builds are looking awesome, and I finaly have some progress to show on the Viper. Chassis is pretty much a roller, minus the wheels, and the body has it's color coats on. I airbrushed the testors One Coat Laquer for the first time and it worked a LOT better, I don't think I will even have to color sand before clear! I was originaly going to clear coat the wheels, but I think they look better with a satin sheen.

IMG_0412_zpsda0b1dee.jpg

IMG_0413_zps7f4164a2.jpg

IMG_0414_zpsfc73dbcf.jpg

IMG_0415_zps99c46071.jpg

IMG_0416_zpsd8f4c1e4.jpg

IMG_0417_zps8feaeec6.jpg

:o you haven't got the firing order wrong have you!

1-in-64 chance of getting it right, I like those odds.

Hmm, something cops would avoid... nuclear waste? TNT? Biohazard? Chief of Police? Ohhhhhh wait. Would said vehicle be, perhaps, all black?

You'd be surprised how an all black 4 door freaks people out on the freeway. I drive a Town Car and folks back down and refuse to pass me.

I'll get started on my entry soon. The last two months hasn't been the best of times for me.

G

I've started a new project for this years run, ill be building a 13' Ford Mustang out of a Revell Shelby GT500, i will still be building the DP Ranger but i thought this mustang will be a good cannonball car

Plans are complete tube frame (ala trans am/sport sedan) with a Roush Yates Ford Nascar Engine, large fuel cell, sequential 6 speed gearbox and a few other trick items

Build will more or less be a trans am car with a few mods

Heres the kit im starting with minus the engine which i've used in a different project

D664498B-00B1-4943-A86B-480A3EF17F99-377

Edited by KurtisEBear

here's a couple progress pix of the superbee

here's my scratchbuilt 4bbl intake,

008_zps33c3edfd.jpg

001_zps373c9731.jpg?t=1365139713

002_zpsc27f5469.jpg?t=1365139870

some parts from "the collective"

004_zpsa5663286.jpg

had to do some custom tunnel work...

005_zps1f96346f.jpg?t=1365139837

006_zps4fa06f62.jpg

in order to get the ride height/stance that i wanted (still not low enough low enough but this thing's gotta race cross country so it'll work)

009_zps4776eff0.jpg?t=1365139744

makin a rollbar out of solder

007_zps666fa351.jpg?t=1365139731

that hole in the back seat is there because of the ride height

if you looking at these pix and something just don't look right, then please speak up. i'd like to hear what you've got to say :D

Edited by knarf

here's a couple progress pix of the superbee

here's my scratchbuilt 4bbl intake,

001_zps373c9731.jpg?t=1365139713

if you looking at these pix and something just don't look right, then please speak up. i'd like to hear what you've got to say :D

Intake looks sweet awesome job!!

You'd be surprised how an all black 4 door freaks people out on the freeway. I drive a Town Car and folks back down and refuse to pass me.

Yeah i used to drive a mettalic brown 79 Malibu 4dr. back in the 80's looked like a cop car.

Knarf, that 'Bee looks dead nuts on to me stance is perfect

Michael

Evenings have been spent restoring and modifying the Cormaro body. I've fitted a parts box firewall and filled the cowl gap that formerly exposed the blower of the Camaro funny car engine and restored the lower windshield trim.

BodyPrepFront_zps069859be.jpg

The front clip has been quite time consuming. Getting into such tight little areas with the thinnest edge of sandpaper tests my threshold of patience. Still the results, when painted, may be marginal. Includes filling & smoothing the engine blower hole and blending the gaudy extensions I've added to the front, while trying to preserve the molded in detail like bumpers and turn signals.

BodyPrepFrontClip_zps60bada6f.jpg

The rear end includes holes for custom taillights and restoration from glue damage, damage from disassembly and warps.

BodyPrepRear_zps939bfc46.jpg