Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

Yeah, hope to see your entry next year Jonathan! More entries, the better Race.

Oh and I forgot the prizes too. Well luckily I don't have to worry about them, since mine is far away from other builds in here. ;)

Thanks for the kind words for my Chrysler, Jonathan. :)

I know Nick posted this already, but folks might not known what it was.

Folks, if you are in any way interesting in running with us next year. Please vote on this poll thread.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67422&hl=

Good call Rob, I was a bit tired and forget to put a bit of writing in with the link, the things we do when were half asleep!

Nick

OK, I've already sent out some PMs to people who have finished and will send out the rest soon. I will be starting a voting thread in the Under Glass section tomorrow (after I get home from work....). As I stated at the begining of the Cannonball, there will be some kits given away. I'll let all of you know right now that it will be a little while before I'm able to send them out though. When I took over the Cannonball for this year I was living in Chicago now I'm living in Florida.........but the kits I was planning to give away are still 1000 miles away in Chicago. Thats part of the reason my Dart didn't get finished in time, my parts box is also still at home and I forgot to bring a few things like.......mufflers for my build. I attempted to scratchbuild some but didn't like the results and decided it was better to delay finishing the model than build it and not be happy with the results. Anyway, in about a month my parents will be coming to Florida and I'll have them bring the kits that will be given away. Its just going to take a little longer than it would have if I had them at hand. Once the winners are decided by vote I will contact them and we'll work things out as to what kits to send, where, and when they will be sent.

Thanks to everyone who has been involved in the Cannonball Run this year weather you finished your builds or not. I've enjoyed moderating it and my decision not to continue wasn't based on anything dealing with moderating it. After making the move this year I've found myself without a model workbench for the first time, I've improvised as best as I can but until I have a bench set up my modeling is going to be limited/compromised.

Ron- Slantasaurus

Au contraire Adam.

Mufflers are very important if you want to be able to roll past a cop at tickover without attracting attention.

Anyway, I think 79 is too close to 82. My vote would be for unlimited or muscle cars.

I must admit that having done it in a succession of vehicles where performance over-ruled comfort I would like to build something big, soft & fast for a change. Beemer, merc or big jap luxo barge maybe.

Anyway. i'm off to vote.

The poll is posted.

Here is the link: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67514

Because of the difficulties of getting the prizes from home, I'm going to limit it to the top 2 vote getters instead of 3. Good luck to everyone.

BTW, the Dart will get finished, hopefully in January when I get some stuff from home....

Thank fot the offer Rob, if I had realized I need them I would have asked before we met at the Pinellis swap. Or I would have bought a cheap built up to use as a donar. I didn't even think about the exhaust system until I was too close to the end.

Edited by slantasaurus

Well the cars are away, the starting line is quiet and the curious crowds are dispersing. Now just waiting for reports from the road then word from the west coast.

Thanks for all your work Ron for getting this going in the right direction and seeing it through to the end. You had a hectic year so I hope things will have settled enough to see you at the driver's meeting next year.

-Mike-

Edited by Lunajammer

we still have a "Poll" feature and that will be very important as for the first time ever there will be actuall prizes for the top 3 vote getters

The poll is posted.

Because of the difficulties of getting the prizes from home, I'm going to limit it to the top 2 vote getters instead of 3. Good luck to everyone.

What kind of a deal is that? Changing the prizes after the contest is done ?

I know a young kid that joined this contest because there was three prizes given !

Booooo

Cheers, Larry

P.S.- I have to edit this ....There were 3 prizes promissed not given

Edited by Dawson

There seems to be a problem with the poll. When I was posting it, it would only allow me 5 options so I had to add the other entries as a second "question". It seems that the poll wants people to vote for 1 person in each section which isn't really fair. I'm going to lock it now and figure out what to do next.

What kind of a deal is that? Changing the prizes after the contest is done ?

I know a young kid that joined this contest because there was three prizes given !

Booooo

Cheers, Larry

P.S.- I have to edit this ....There were 3 prizes promissed not given

Really, I didn't have to offer any prizes at all. Look at any of the other CBPs on this forum, are there any others that even offer even 1 prize ?? If the kid you know joined only because of the promice of prizes then he is building for the wrong reasons and is bound to be dissapointed at some point. I suppose I should have offered prizes for everyone who joined because they're all special snowflakes.

OK, I think I figgured out something that will work. I would like to have the 8 people who finished their builds PM me with their votes. I thought that BK Customs finished his 62 Impala but he PMed me back that he had problems with his paint and didn't actually finish. I will also chose a few other forum members to help in the voting. At this point that seems to be the most fair way of doing things since the public poll didn't work out the way I wanted it to.

Thanks again for making the Cannonball Run 2012 fun.

The votes have been coming in and while the polls aren't closed yet it seems we have a Landslide winner. Second and third places are still up for grabs though. I've sent out a few PMs to get some more votes and if anyone else would like to weigh in I'll put out a last call before closing the poll and announcing the winners tomorrow night.

As for the winner.......can you say Three-peat ??

The results are in. For the third time Zenrat is our overall winner of the Cannonball with his 60 Chevy panel truck. (What can we do to stop the Blizzard from Oz ???) Second place goes to Lunajammer's beautiful Kustom 60 Corvette. Its been a long time since I've seen such a nice period kustom. Our third place finisher this year is first time Cannonballer W409 with his 57 Chrysler 300C. I think the numbers and flames on his car drew the attention of a few law enforcement officers slowing his cross country run. :D

Congradulations to all the winners and everybody that was part of the Cannonball Run 2012. I probably won't be part of next years Cannonball, not because I haven't enjoyed it but because my building is somewhat limited right now and I'd like to focus on some other builds I would like to finish. If things change maybe I'll jump in with a late entry, we'll see how things go next year. I'll be contacting our three winners to give them a list of kits to choose from and working out detail of where and when I can send them out.

Hats off to you Zen for running another deviously clever race and outsmarting all obstacles. And for building a well equipped cross country hauler that had both stealth and brawn.

(Curses! :angry: I'll have my revenge. Oh yes, I'll have my revenge.)

Edited by Lunajammer

Congratulations Zenrat. I actually voted for that Chevy Panel Truck too. Congrats to Lunajammer too. :D

Our third place finisher this year is first time Cannonballer W409 with his 57 Chrysler 300C. I think the numbers and flames on his car drew the attention of a few law enforcement officers slowing his cross country run. :D

Wow! I wouldn't believed that I would get the Third place :blink: . And thanks to all who voted for my Chrysler!

Edited by W-409

Its a bordello delivery van, how could it not win!!! The only thing better than getting Pizza delivered to you door is getting....well, you see where I`m heading with this.

Way to go Zen!! And congrats to all you guys, all 3 builds were top notch. Look forward to next year. Hope you can make it for the next one Slant.

Thanks folks - for you votes and for your nice words

Luna Mike, you had my vote.

I don't know about any secret or trick. I just focus on what I think I would do if I was doing the run for real and try to remember that I need a combination of speed, reliability, handling, range and (stealth is the wrong word) make it something that a cop would wave past with a nod and a maybe a grin (gotta have humour). The trick is the balance.

Anyhoo, Ron asked me to take a pic of my 3 first place cars so here they are; 2008's Dustball 500 (Efi short stroke Hemi in Duster chassis with scratch built IRS), this years Chevy panel and 2010's Swifter Shifters courier van (Blown mid mounted Skyline motor in scratch built chassis with dual A arm suspension on all 4 corners).

12-12-12002.jpg

And now i'm off to see my sponsors...

Edited by zenrat