Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Tamiya Enzo Full build kit with upcoming Scalemotorsport CF decals

David Thibodeau

• 3 months later...

Well, Scale Auto Magazine has answered my query and said the 1/12 Enzo review WAS for the 1/24 kit....why they labeled it as the $610.00/#12047 is a mystery and obvious screw up. So to all that felt a little penalized for buying the kit....don't be, Tamiya was right, it is still the same kit it was 8 months ago.

Last April, I purchased (actually pre-purchased) two Tamiya 1/12 Enzo Ferrari (full) kits, #12047 from HLJ. Since the issue of this kit, Tamiya has added some extra items to fill in areas that were lacking in the original issue. The new items include a small fret of photoetched details for the intake screens, different colored seat belts, and the windshield wiper. Also new are template sheets of carbon-fiber decal and self-adhesive metal foil for the heat shielding.

When I first received my kits, I kind of felt Tamiya had dropped the ball a bit by not including CF and heat shield decals for such a costly kit, but I figured SMS or others would fill the gap. I now find out that Tamiya apparently felt the same way as I did and has corrected this along with some other misc missing items. All these additions are under the same kit number and all was done within about an 8-10 month period! To be honest, I feel like my preorder has cheated me and it appears what was pushed out the door from Tamiya was still an unfinished product.

I wrote HLJ since I know they have very close ties with Tamiya and asked if there is any chance Tamiya would be offering these added items to those of us who purchased the first batch of kits or get them direct.

I got my answer today and HLJ says they talked with their Tamiya rep and its a no-go on getting these items seperately at this time. I could understand an issue of a kit and a few years down the road a re-issue having added items without changing the Kit # (though that would avoid confussion), but within a year of initial issue? I also now understand Tamiya has been adding stuff to this kit since last April...and apparently four iterations have been pumped out since then. This really kind of stinks in my mind's eye.

Edited by Ghostmech

In the few instances I have ever had any issue with the tamiya kits; Tamiya USA was always willing to provide replacement parts; I think you might try calling them directly, and you might be surprised at the result...The worst that could happen is you still don't have the added parts! Matt

As others have suggested, I'd e-mail Tamiya USA directly. They replaced a set of decals in a kit I purchased at a show that isn't even currently being produced at no cost to me - which surprised me since I offered to pay for them if they could even obtain a set. As good as Scott and HLJ are, they're not really a go-between, and who knows how many they sold. Perhaps Tamiya was leery of getting into a situation where they'd be on the hook to provide the parts wholesale for dozens and dozens of kits all at once.

Well, after digging into the Tamiya Inc website, I found a link direct to Tamiya (in Japan). I guess we'll see what, if anything is answered. Hell. I'd be willing to buy the upgrades as a set if it is reasonable.

Please post and let us know.

Well, after digging into the Tamiya Inc website, I found a link direct to Tamiya (in Japan). I guess we'll see what, if anything is answered. Hell. I'd be willing to buy the upgrades as a set if it is reasonable.

I have the same issue with my Enzo. Can you please post the link??? I would like to make the same request.

thanks,

joe.

OP, is there a way to differentiate between the two Tamiya revisions? Say I find one in stock online somewhere, is there a way to verify before ordering?

Not that I know of.....I first learned of it in a review in the current (April 13) issue of Scale Auto Mag. ....

Ferrari Enzo

Tamiya No. 12047

Scale: 1/12

MSRP: $610

"This is Tamiya’s fourth version of the Enzo. New in this version is a small fret of photoetched details for the intake screens, seat belts, and the windshield wiper. Also new are templated sheets of carbon-fiber decal and self-adhesive metal foil for the heat shielding. Self-adhesive printed seat belts in your choice of red, black, or yellow complete the new extras."

The article can be seen here...

http://www.scaleautomag.com/Subscriber%20Extras/Kit%20Reviews/2013/02/Tamiya%20Ferrari%20Enzo.aspx

Seriously. I pre-ordered a Zoukei-Mura 1/32 Ta152H for $95. I later found out that only the initial issue was that expensive. Eh. Live and learn. It now sells for a lot more than I paid. Check prices of initial issue on ebay.

Saying you feel cheated and that Tamiya owes you something sounds a lot like crying. I'm also amazed that so many people agree with you. My

1/12 Lola T70 doesn't have photoetch. I'll live.

Edited by LDO

Seriously. I pre-ordered a Zoukei-Mura 1/32 Ta152H for $95. I later found out that only the initial issue was that expensive. Eh. Live and learn. It now sells for a lot more than I paid. Check prices of initial issue on ebay.

Saying you feel cheated and that Tamiya owes you something sounds a lot like crying. I'm also amazed that so many people agree with you. My

1/12 Lola T70 doesn't have photoetch. I'll live.

Ok...I didn't plan on turning this into a pissin' contest, but comparing your $95 ZM to my (and others) $350-450 kit is another....I'm not b*tchin about price...if I were, I would b*tch about the fact that HLJ is now listing my Enzo for about $50.00 cheaper than when I bought it (pre-ordered). If I were cryin' about price as in your example, then you may have some standing in this argument, but that's not what I was doing. I also was not cryin about a kit being issued and then several years (or decades) the same kit is reissued with some PE parts that I didn't get when I bought mine years ago. I have several older Tamiya 1/12 kits w/o PE.....I'm not talking about that. At least Tamiya changed kit numbers for their reissued kits with PE which makes it a logical progression.

I must assume you don't have this Enzo kit and didn't fork over the money that I, and others did. If you did, you may have understood my point. My issue (along with others) is that we buy the kit , only to find out they pumped in some more (needed) parts to the same kit within about a an 8 month period without identifying it. In fact, no one knows what they are getting if they bought one today, old stock or new. I was really just posting it to alert those who care that an 8 month old kit appears to have been revamped and those of us who bought the original kit may have bought a kit that wasn't quite ready for prime time. I was making an effort to see how Tamiya would handle this ...if at all.

The fact that you are trying to make this into something akin to me asking for a handout and making those of us who feel a bit penalized for the early purchase as Occupy Wall Street types is uncalled for. If you can't "comprende" the point there, Hoss, then please refrain from replying .

Thanks,

Ghost

this is what happens when you have to have the bleeding edge.. I see all the time in electronics, gaming and etc. yea I have missed out on a few good things standing back and waiting a bit before I buy.. but for the most part is I will not buy band new fresh off the press..

It had nothing to do with having to have it fresh off the presses and comparing this to electronics is ludicrous....apples and oranges.

Edited by Ghostmech

Well, Tamiya Japan did answer me...they basically said I must be mistaken and I must have confused it wiith one of the the 1/24 version kits and claim the 1/12 scale kit has not changed.

I guess it's a case of the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing at Tamiya since the SAM reviewer obviously had the kit in hand and reviewed it as such.

Here is a scan of the box top from the SAM article with noted change..

samenzoreview_zpsf394fa9d.jpg

Original.......

ltams2047.jpg

Edited by Ghostmech

Hey Ghost,

Not doubting you, but are you sure that picture is from the 1/12 kit? From HLJ's site, it looks pretty positive that picture in the article is for the 1/24 scale kit:

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM24327

Here's the 1/12:

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM12047

The PE elements look exactly like this:

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM12652

I have the 1/24 kit somewhere and I'm pretty sure it didn't come with the PE kit. In fact, the earlier release (2007) of the 1/24 kit is a few dollars less at 3040Y vs the re-release (2012) at 3840Y.

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM24302

You'll notice that there are some key differences in the molds, the 1/12 has the transmission tunnel undercover that the 1/24 does not. Also, the front hood is also molded in 1 piece on the 1/24, but not on the 1/12.

I'm sure the reviewer on SAM had the boxes mixed up..

Hey Ghost,

Not doubting you, but are you sure that picture is from the 1/12 kit? From HLJ's site, it looks pretty positive that picture in the article is for the 1/24 scale kit:

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM24327

Here's the 1/12:

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM12047

The PE elements look exactly like this:

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM12652

I have the 1/24 kit somewhere and I'm pretty sure it didn't come with the PE kit. In fact, the earlier release (2007) of the 1/24 kit is a few dollars less at 3040Y vs the re-release (2012) at 3840Y.

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM24302

You'll notice that there are some key differences in the molds, the 1/12 has the transmission tunnel undercover that the 1/24 does not. Also, the front hood is also molded in 1 piece on the 1/24, but not on the 1/12.

I'm sure the reviewer on SAM had the boxes mixed up..

That's what I'm starting to think.......I think SAM and/or the review is flawed. The picture I posted was scaned from the magazine review and it clearly states kit #12047, 1/12 scale and a $610.00 price. I posted yours (and now my) suspicions on the SAM Forum.....I guess we'll see if it was a mixed up review.

Edited by Ghostmech

• 2 weeks later...