Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Lonestar Failure! to Success!

I have great respect for the guys here who build Big Rigs. This was suppose to be a build for our quarterly contest for JSMCC on Friday. I worked on this one for 2 months and anybody that knows my builds, this is a life time. Everything was going fine until I got down to the final assembly. 3 days to get the body to fit and parts are falling off everywhere, I'm throughing in the towel. It's not this great kits fault. it's was the builder, ME!!

I'm sticking to my restoration of old model cars and replica stock.

Al

post-8591-0-98010300-1392759643_thumb.jp

Edited by Porscheman

You are tackling a skill level 3 kit, and from what I see you have done a very nice job with it thus far. I have found it best to take a step back or go for a walk when I hit a road block on a build. I know that it is frustrating when you are days away from a show and you've put so much time into a build that it starts to feel like quick sand when things don't go right.

Don't give up. It looks great. Just have a break from it and come back to it. One of the best examples I've seen of that truck. I've built 2 of them, one out of the box and one converted to an Australian T904 Kenworth. Yours looks better than mine. I'm about to tackle a prostar after I try a tamiya laferrari. That's been a learning curve as I'm more use to building trucks. The last car I successfully finished was about 2 years ago, it was a tamiya Nissan 370z. Cheers.

Ben

Don't let it get you down....To be honest, I think you can salvage this.....It looks like you've only forgotten or neglected to install the rear air bags for the rear portion of the sleeper.....I think if you can find those two little parts, you'll win this one....And if you can't find them....Add some small pieces of sprue set vertically just under the rear portion of the sleeper and it will sit level.....Don't give up....I think you can lick this one, because everything else looks pretty smooth....Then, you can change the title to "My Lonestar Success!!!!".....Those instructions look nice, but they're not really very good....The Prostar's instructions are MUCH better, and they can be used as a guide for the Lonestar as well......I've been building big rigs for years, and this one really tested me.....So don't feel bad...

031_zps12b16376.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Looks pretty good to me, Hey if your use to restoring cars that don't have a lot of exposed parts to snag stuff on while your handling it I can understand your frustration. Trucks have parts everywhere and require different handling. You need a car hauler to put your built restorations on behind your Lonstar.

This happens to a lot of us man.

Trucks are different for sure,but just glue the parts back on,build or buy a car trailer and take a break from the trucks.

After you see your nice cars loaded on it and the space it takes up is put to good use, you may want to build another one.

Come on... I was looking for parts and pieces!?!

I think that JT turned on the lights for you to complete this truck.

You have done great job so far, classic color combo, nice paint job, so FIGHT IT and beat it, don't let it beat you.

Kostas.

PS. Is that Mercedes in 1/24 scale? Can you please post some photos of it. It is looking great too!!!

JT, I want thank you for showing me the cab airbags. They are long gone, so I used a little plasti-struc and everything is sitting pretty. I also want to thank everyone the words of encouragement to finish it. The truck is all set for the quarterly contest with day to spare.. Thank god they can't touch the models, as it is a bit of a Rube Goldberg :blink:

Al

Edited by Porscheman