Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mid '70s Chevy rescue van Round 2

Is there anyone who has an original kit and can take photo's of the contents?

Because IIRC the side panels (behind the front doors and between the upper beltline and roof) were separate parts, so if the inserts of window option still exist, it would be neat just to include it as a option for those who can handle a saw and knife ;^)

Thanks

I have the Penski Set Unbuilt, And the Original Rescue issue built awaiting completion of restoration.

You are correct in that the side panels WERE Separate Pieces

giving the builder the Option of a Passenger Window van, or a Cargo van, Or even Combination of the 2.

The rescue had Bench seats to make a Standard Passenger van.

If they Can't re-tool this option, maybe we can get them to add cut line on the Inside of the body to

guide us on where the windows go!!

Did they open up the windows on th rear doors with the back-dated "Dirty-Donny" re-issue??

Here is a pic of the Rescue Resto In-Progress showing the window panels Taped into the body.

ChevyVan-rs.jpg

Actually, the tape is Holding the Side sliding door On!!

Also notice the Hood is NOT there!!

it was still a separate piece on this issue!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Did they open up the windows on th rear doors with the back-dated "Dirty-Donny" re-issue??

No, it has the windowless rear doors. I'm inclined to thin that the reissue recue van will simply be the Dirty Donnie with different decals and the rescue parts added back in.

IIRC, most if not all cargo vans still can be had with or without windows in the back doors, I've also seen several current Chevy and GMC cargo vans that have smaller than factory and most likely aftermarket back windows installed in those doors...........and look like garbage that way too!

BTW, how were those tickets written? IIRC here in Illinois, all vehicles have to have at least 2 useable mirrors, so long as those vans had mirrors on both front doors, they should be legal.

IIRC, most if not all cargo vans still can be had with or without windows in the back doors, I've also seen several current Chevy and GMC cargo vans that have smaller than factory and most likely aftermarket back windows installed in those doors...........and look like garbage that way too!

BTW, how were those tickets written? IIRC here in Illinois, all vehicles have to have at least 2 useable mirrors, so long as those vans had mirrors on both front doors, they should be legal.

I don't know about other states, but as far as I can recall here in WV, pickups and vans do not even need interior rear view mirrors, nor do they need rear vision from windows. A pickup or van with rear windows can have those windows painted black and nothing can be said about it.

As I recall, the one I read about, got his thrown out by showing Pictures of Commercial vans

like Phone company, without windows, or having them covered by equipment.

At least with the doors, Because the windows Were there in Original & Early re-issues,

you can see the markings fro them on the inside of the body.

True, I too would hope for all the Original ear parts to be returned, but since they

did not return the option of Window van or cargo panels and rear door windows to the Dirty Donny

Back-dated kit, I doubt they will do it for this one

Adding back the Rescue specific parts, Yes, but, the ability to make a passenger window van.........

Only by custom work on our part!!

The original issue of this version of the Chevy van kit had FOUR build options, plus modifications between those 4.

They were Rescue, Police Paddy Wagon/Equipment unit, Cargo van & Passenger Window van with TWO bench seats!!

We will likely get ONE of the Bench seats as it Is used in the rescue van.

The 5-pc stretch should be returned, the 3 pc Oxygen tanks & cabinet with drawing to make a mask from masking tape/paper

and line from thread, rope coil, axe, 2-pc bull horn, 4 flasher bases

We should get 2 each red, and amber Strobe/rotator domes. (Maybe 2 blue for Police version

if that option is in the box again.

All we can do is wait and see if Round2 gives us that option again.

Otherwise, You will either have to Cut the windows out yourself, and come up with

correct Bench seats, or find an Original/early issue that still has those parts.

The kit I have in the Penski set has the window inserts for the body, but not the

bench seats for the Passenger option!!

They pop up on that evil auction site, but plan to SPEND $$$$$ for an unbuilt!!

Heck, Plan to SPEND on a Built Too

Just watched one built as the Open Road MIni-Motor Home go past $45.oo and

a second built as a Custom go over $35.oo!!

Both had the separate side inserts! The Mini-Motor Home had the Roof extension!

Was there a 454 option in the early issues of this van kit ?

I could swear that the Red Alert racing team van listed a 454 as an option instead of the 350 (yes , I am aware that the Red Alert was an LS-6 Chevelle ; I'm referring to the van's engine choices) .

Edited by 1972coronet

Was there a 454 option in the early issues of this van kit ?

I could swear that the Red Alert racing team van listed a 454 as an option instead of the 350 (yes , I am aware that the Red Alert was an LS-6 Chevelle ; I'm referring to the van's engine choices) .

John,

I had this kit soon after it was released and if I recall my kit had the 454 for the Chevelle and the 350 for the Chevy van..

I've only seen these kits with the same basic 70's truck small block, even the 80's A-Team one. Also, while I don't know about back in the 70's, but these vans could be ordered with the TBI 454's in the 90's (A-Team van and 454SS truck kits would work well there ;) )