Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project Phoenix: Custom '61 Dodge Dart resurrection: The Wall, March 29

Ace-Garageguy

• 4 weeks later...

A little at a time.....The trans I'm using is actually 1/24 scale in a 1/25 model (I know, but I don't care right now), and it's a big trans to start with, a ZF 6 speed, so making a trans tunnel to accommodate it, the engine setback, and still have room for the seats I want to use took a little thought.

DSCN8486.jpg

On top, with a mark where the shifter will go...

DSCN8484.jpg

The asymmetrical console that will tie in to the dash and tonneau designs....

DSCN8485.jpg

....and a look at the semi-complete firewall setback to allow the engine setback.

DSCN8487.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 3 months later...

She's been resting while I've been working on some new filler techniques, but as of today is back in the rotation. There's a lot of sculpting to do on the tonneau, and I wasn't entirely satisfied with the polyester filler, as thick as it was going to be. The epoxy / microballoon filler I've been experimenting with solved the problem, though it takes an overnight cure. More pix shortly.

• 5 months later...

Had some pinhole issues in the f'glass patch-panels, finally decided how to kill them by forcing Squadron Green into them with a chisel-tip blade.

DSCN0580_zpsa4e862e7.jpg

I also removed too much material from the rear corners of the chassis, so that's getting dealt with now. The fuel tank also gets modified to make room for pipes to run under it.

DSCN0581_zpsd63c439b.jpg

Thanks for the update. Nice to see an ambitious project return for round #2. Tough builds are tough builds. Especially when "life" interrupts. I have a project that's been kicking around under the bench for about 14 yrs. now...... I wish I had the time like I did when I was younger to build more.

Again, good to see the update. Looking good and we're paying attention. B)