Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some more Round2 surprizes!

I am guessing the original '69 Barracuda had a HEMI and slant six, and now it has a wedge 383?

My feeling is that you will never see an all new kit from Round2, or a heavily modified reissue. Retro boxes and restored parts are about what I expect.

The MPC '67-69 Barracuda annuals had a 383 and a slant 6, I believe.   The street machine issues in the 80s had Hemis, and then they put a 383 back in sometime in the 90s IIRC.

The '67 Barracuda came out in an AMT box. I don't know if AMT or MPC did the tooling, but from 1968 on the Barracudas were from MPC. (JoHan did other Plymouths, for some reason.)

I've never seen a '67 boxed as an MPC, don't know if there was one in addition to the AMT (which I have).  I don't have a '68, though the '80s street machine issue I have has '68 style side markers (molded in orange, 'The Avenger' box art). 

There was no Pro Stock in 1969. 1970 was the first year, and I don't believe S&M ever ran any 2nd Gen Barracuda in Pro Stock--they went right to the '70 model. (Plymouth wasn't that interested in firing up sales interest in used cars.)

I did a quick google-image search and found several photos of the S&M 2nd Gen Barracuda (hemi) with a '69 nose on it. But in every one (possibly all shot at the same event), it had injectors and was running B/Gas. Maybe that's what I was thinking of.

I have a couple of pictures of a Sox & Martin '68 Barracuda and a '68 with a '69 nose where it had Pro 1262 on the wind screen, so it must have been at least as late as 1970, I also have some pictures of the B/Gas '69.
Sox & Martin ran several cars in different classes with different drivers both in NHRA and AHRA and they had the Pro Stock '70 'Cuda at that time.
I believe the sanctioning bodies allowed the racers to upgrade the body style back in the day and I have also seen Hemi Barracudas with the '69 nose, but that's not allowed today as the only classified A-bodies with Hemi's are the '68 Barracuda and Dart as it's the only year they were available from the factory, no '69's were ever made with Hemi's.

Edited by Force

The 1968 "BO29" (and their Dodge relative , "LO23")  were cosmetically-updated to 1969 front / rear , and campaigned in A/MP (though I have seen a Dick Landy Dart with "S/SE" [ Super / Stock Eliminator ] emblazoned on its door glass) .

Sox & Martin also campaigned a 1968 Formula-S 340 in F/Stock .

Cosmetic changes were common with the 1970 'Cuda convertible ; 1970 models were classed in SS/D(A) , whereas the 1971 models were classed in SS/E(A) . This was done via Chrysler fudging the shipping weight for 1971 , as they were hot on the tail of the Ray King 1970 SS/EA LS-6 Chevelle convertible .

The 1968 "BO29" (and their Dodge relative , "LO23")  were cosmetically-updated to 1969 front / rear , and campaigned in A/MP (though I have seen a Dick Landy Dart with "S/SE" [ Super / Stock Eliminator ] emblazoned on its door glass) .

On my google-search, I saw one pic of a S&M '69 Barracuda that had SS/E on the windshield. I didn't count that one as I figgered it was a 340 car.

Something else I noticed, I didn't seem to see too many real vintage pics of  S&M cars with blue headlights, as so many of today's restos and "tributes" seem to have. When did the blue headlights on S&M cars thing get started?

Sox & Martin ran many cars in different classes and sanctioning bodies back then.
The Hemi Barracuda's and Dart's were classed SS/B or SS/BA first as the sanctioning bodies (most likely NHRA) thought something even hotter would come out from the factories and wanted to save the A weight break for them, later they were classed SS/A or SS/AA as nothing hotter came and these cars now have their own classification SS/AH.
The "Super Stock Eliminator" class mentioned  was a heads up 9 second AHRA class and has nothing to do with the NHRA SS/E weight break and was pretty much like the later NHRA Pro Stock class.

I don't know when the blue headlight thing started, I have seen S & M cars with blue headlights as early as 1967 but it's not on all cars, maybe it was a way to recognize one car from another as they ran several similar cars at the same time.

Edited by Force

Sox & Martin ran many cars in different classes and sanctioning bodies back then.
The Hemi Barracuda's and Dart's were classed SS/B or SS/BA first as the sanctioning bodies (most likely NHRA) thought something even hotter would come out from the factories and wanted to save the A weight break for them, later they were classed SS/A or SS/AA as nothing hotter came and these cars now have their own classification SS/AH.
The "Super Stock Eliminator" class mentioned  was a heads up 9 second AHRA class and has nothing to do with the NHRA SS/E weight break and was pretty much like the later NHRA Pro Stock class.

I don't know when the blue headlight thing started, I have seen S & M cars with blue headlights as early as 1967 but it's not on all cars, maybe it was a way to recognize one car from another as they ran several similar cars at the same time.

I checked out AHRA Super Stock Eliminator and you're absolutely right. How did I never hear of this? I guess most of the stuff I read back in the day was heavily NHRA-centric.

I do know that also in 1969 there was an outfit called UDRA that had an "Ultra Stock" category that was similar to what eventually became Pro Stock. Jenkins, Landy, S&M, Don Nicolson, and others would do heads-up "run whatcha brung" racing with them.

First time I saw "S/SE" , I thought that the cars got reclassified !  Yep , huge difference between "SS/E" and "S/SE"  ; a precursor to Pro Stock .

I'm not too sure about the history / timeline of the blue-coloured headlamps on Sox & Martin's cars . Now , the blue-painted engines ...

Here's the pic I was talking about. I thought I saw SS/E but now it looks like SSE which seems to fit into the AHRA Super Stock Eliminator explanation. Note it has the '69 nose.

Tried twice to paste it here as normal, no joy. So here's the link:

http://assets.hemmings.com/story_image/258331-1000-0.jpg?rev=3

There's one with blue headlights .... love that car.

This topic has gravitated to an interesting question; where did the '67-69 Barracuda tool originate. Like the '67 Chevy Fleetside, it started in an AMT box and resurfaced in 1968 in a MPC box. To the casual observer, the part count and details seem the same in the 1967 AMT and the 1968 MPC. I am not sure it is the same tool, but it could be.

This topic has gravitated to an interesting question; where did the '67-69 Barracuda tool originate. Like the '67 Chevy Fleetside, it started in an AMT box and resurfaced in 1968 in a MPC box. To the casual observer, the part count and details seem the same in the 1967 AMT and the 1968 MPC. I am not sure it is the same tool, but it could be.

Both the Barracuda and Fleetside went from AMT to MPC for '68.  If anyone knows why or how that happened, they've never said so.  After going without for '68, AMT then created another Chevy Fleetside kit for 1969.  Both kits have the same incorrect inner fenders in the engine compartment (they should look like the ones on the AMT Blazer/Jimmy body).  AMT annual kits (except the '67, of course) had a big-block engine and molded-in dual exhaust on the chassis, the AMT '67 and '68-'72 MPC trucks had a small-block and single exhaust.

First time I saw "S/SE" , I thought that the cars got reclassified !  Yep , huge difference between "SS/E" and "S/SE"  ; a precursor to Pro Stock .

I'm not too sure about the history / timeline of the blue-coloured headlamps on Sox & Martin's cars . Now , the blue-painted engines ...

Yes a Hemi Barracuda or Dart couldn't go as SS/E as it has too much HP and too little weight, a heavier car with Hemi could fit in as Sox & Martin's later Superbird did, but not the A-bodied Barracuda's and Dart's.
The AHRA Super Stock Eliminator class wich were for new or nearly new cars ran heads up began in 1968 but the class didn't have points until 1969, and the NHRA Pro Stock Category wich was pretty much the same came for the 1970 season.

Sox & Martin's mechanic/engine builder Jake King painted all the engines he built Ford Engine Blue as a homage to his own time racing Ford's and to recognize his work.

Edited by Force

....thanks, as always, Casey, for keeping us informed on all the new releases. all these are sure fired winners for Round2, and that Kat bobble figure is the first item on my list....AMT, MPC, and the kats at ROUND2....what could be better.......the ace............:D

.....notice the ad for the 67 charger GREAT STREET MACHINES series states...the first to be resurrected is the charger....may mean the 57 vette  and 67 streaker vette are coming also. but, the winner would be the 68 BOSS CUDA from that bunch, however tooling changes over the years will most likely mean that we will only see this as the 69 cuda that STEVENS is releasing in the fall.....lets hope for both......the ace.....-_-

I'll definitely be getting one of the Katt bobble heads along with a Charger.

It would be great if they could open up all the closed gates on the Charger to see what is there. The original 67 issue had quite a few front suspension pieces that are missing on later issues. Also the open steel wheels, stock wheel covers and seeing if the exhaust system is still part of the rear axle assembly.

I give Round2 credit for giving us these older parts with the reissues, I just wish more of the old parts would be available in the reissues.

doubtful if those early annual pieces will be in the charger....my guess is the parts will mirror the version of this series from 74-75 era.,,, the newer tires and quality decals, but  my bet says that's it......the ace.....:P

I'm glad they are tooling up the original style rims for the reissue but it would be interesting to see/know what may still be on the original tool. I'm only guessing that it would be more cost effective to restore parts of the tool than to do new tooling. I could be wrong about this and I've known to be wrong about a few things in the past. Any other parts from the original tooling that could be added would be a huge plus.

....Frank, I would bet that if AMT was going with oldie annual parts, it would be a selling feature to boast about.  doubt it will happen, but I will say that, in remembering this issue from building one back around 75-76 or so, it was a nice kit. the mags, cheater slicks, cross ram, and s/s scoop made it a killer, finished car, sitting on the desk...excited to get one....oh, that KAT bobble, you'll have to beat me to the first one....lol....the ace....:D