Model Cars Magazine Forum

help from the pros

hey guys i have a problem i need a solution to. i bought my fiance an engagment ring in june and so far weve had to get two dimonds fixed the first time it was loose and the company helped us when we had it fixed and a few months later a dimond fell out and we went and had that fixed ourselves now we have a loose dimond again. i can super glue it but am afraid of getting that white film. i am sure theres a glue out there that will be strong enough and dry clear to put on it i was just wondering if anyone had any sugestions. we really dont want to send the ring back or replaced. thank you guys for your help and merry christmas

Guest G Holding

Ah.......no super glue. Diamonds are held in with a small wedge of the mount, This is done by "swaging"

See a jeweler / jewelry maker. You will get what you pay for.

Edited by G Holding

I agree with the others. Find a competent, independent jeweler and get an estimate to have it repaired properly.

Independent shops tend to do their own work on-premises, are usually very competitive price-wise and you're supporting a truly local business, which is a nice thing to do.

If you have any friends in a local fraternal order (Masons, Odd Fellows, K of C, etc.), ask them where they have their officer's jewels engraved and repaired. They usually know the good people in the area.

A Merry Chirstmas to you, too.

Charlie Larkin

If you are taking it to a chain store (Jared's, Kay's, Shaws) you won't ever be satisfied. Find an independent jeweler who's business requires that he does the job correctly, not some second year art student doing summer work. Research it, ask, like Charlie8575, people who have stuff made a lot.

There is no glue on earth that will hold a diamond in a setting for any length of time. No way, no how !

A diamond must be held in place by the setting itself. It is sort of clamped in place by the setting.

If you are losing diamonds out of your setting that is a serious problem. You will eventurally lose the diamond. I know because this happened to me.

You need to find a setting that will firmly hold the diamond in place. And find a good jewler.

The best type of jeweler would be what is called a "manufacturing jeweler", meaning one that actually can create their own rings etc. When I got married nearly 40 yrs ago, my wife's engagement ring was one of those with the diamond "floating" above the ring, the setting being a set of prongs holding the stone above the ring itself. On our honeymoon, we discovered that the stone was getting loose, so we searched, and found a manufacturing jeweler to take care of it. A few minutes with his tiny torch and those prongs were reinforced so that they didn't bend at all easily, without seriously changing the look of the ring. The charge wasn't all that much easier--a very small fraction of what the ring cost.

The setting lasted another 19 years, until our divorce in the spring of 1992.

But, gluing the stone won't likely do the job, as almost now glues out there will hold a diamond.

Art