Model Cars Magazine Forum

Garage Dio

dannyi

I managed to mock up a couple of lights shades. Decided to go with 8 lights, two between each cross beam. I was originally going to attach this to the beams but now their going to be hanging from the ceiling joist, which means they have to go on next. With time permitting things could move along here pretty good in the up coming days. Tested the lamp shades using grain o wheat bulbs and found they were too bright, so I ordered grain o rice bulbs. These shades of course will be weathered to look thirty years old when I do the final install. I noticed through researching these that there are a dozen different shades of green that were used by various manufacturers. These appear to be a little dark for Ivanhoe but I think I'll stick with the color.

826.jpg

825.jpg

828.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

.....finally made some time for this dio. Got the ceiling joists in place and the lights installed. I really couldn't find good clear photograph's or information on the electrical boxes of the day, but what I did see was that a lot of the junction boxes and fixtures were round. So that's what I went with. The conduit and fixtures on the ceiling will be painted the same white as the joists. Saw this practice a lot from my days in the plant where I worked. The painters, after being tasked with repainting, didn't mask anything, if it was in the area it got painted!

.....the plan is to run conduit from the boxes on the back wall to a main box that will go next to the service door. From there outlets and light switches will be put in once I make them........till next time.....thanks for looking in.............

802.jpg

800.jpg

801.jpg

572.jpg

573.jpg

...thanks Jim, Chuck and Tony, appreciate the feed back! It feels good to be working on this again. I'm taking advantage of the spark, so I got the cast iron drain pipe started too. Not sure yet what's going on with the second floor so this is all I'm going to add for now. The pipes will get some light weathering because their inside the building as opposed to outside. Some dust, a little rust and maybe a leak or two..........after the lights and pipes get weathered it'll be on to the second story floor boards.....

805.jpg

804.jpg

806.jpg

...thanks fellas! ..appreciate the kind words.....Tony, your right, the straight pipes are 3/16 tubing from Evergreen. All the other pieces I made from scratch. I'm going to offer these and other pieces on my web site. Should have them ready sometime next week. These pipes make an interesting and uncommon detail item.........

..thank you Mark, I really appreciate that!.....the method I used for the peeling paint was mastered by Chuck Doan. I did a variation of his exact procedure though. After the wood is cut and lightly sanded you apply an India ink/alcohol wash to age the wood. The rest of the process is basically one board at a time. I applied a thin coat of thinner(mineral spirits), just when it starts to lose it's sheen I put on a coat of latex paint. Timing here is kinda critical. The paint has to dry a bit but not fully. With a piece of Scotch brand Magic tape I laid it on the fresh paint, "lightly" pressing it down then slowly pulled it up. If your timing is good it'll peel the paint like you see in the pictures. If you apply the tape too soon it just smears, too late and very little if nothing will come up. I must have practiced on a half a dozen pieces before I got the hang of it. But if you would like the exact technique that Chuck developed, go to his Fotki page, go to Odds and Ends album, there he has his peeling paint description. Believe me, his work makes mine look like a kindergartner's finger painting! The man is off the charts with vision and talent!

Edited by dannyi

Danny, THIS is THA MOOK!!!!! Like i was tellin ya, my nephew lives in a converted cotton mill that left one section unrestored so residents could see how it once looked. Your Dio is ON THE MONEY, Daddy-O! I'll try to get Joy to get me some pics and try to have them for Friday's meeting!:P;) ;)

Been wanting to duplicate in scale the 4 bay Garage I worked in in the mid 60's. It will be no where as detailed as this one. Love the lift. The lighting is cool. Brickwork is great as is the plumbing.

Don't know why but I feel like working on my Dio Project a little tonight. It's all your fault. LOL

Danny, I'm speechless, I was Totally Amazed with your Resin Parts for Model Cars, I was Shocked at your Weathering of your Parts & Cars, Now the DIO!!!!

I had no idea that I talked to you on the Phone that your Talent went a lot further then I ever imagine!!all that Talent in just one Mans hands is Totally Mind Blowing.

You darn near blew me out of Socks! really your a better Artist then I thought.

Big or Small "U DA MAN" from top to bottom from side to side your Garage really looks like it's in the 1920's Fantastic Workmanship and I'd have to say Totally Priceless, it belongs in a Museum for all to see, and for all to look upon your Magnificient Work of Art, cause thats what I think of it.

I have just about everything that you've made thus far, and most likely I'll own even more of your Products in the furture.

I've been around for 72 years now, and I relly have to say that this Forum, makes an Old Man Happy to be Alive.

Thanks Danny, & thanks to the rest of you all for showing your builds, I look forward to seeing some brillant Builds.

The Old Guy From Indiana

...thanks George, I'd like to see those pictures! Love these old buildings!......see ya Friday. P.S...I'm bringing some parts with me too.....

...thank you Chaz, I'm glad you were inspired to work a little on your dio. The same thing happened to me, watching all these great dio's being worked on made me want to get back into mine.

...thanks Mike, you are my official PR man!..checks in the mail!..LOL..

...thanks Tony, I really wasn't sure how all the lights being on together were going to work, but was pleasantly surprised at the effect.

• 3 weeks later...