Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

Got started on mine. The parts still need a clear coat.

DSC03007.jpg

Okay, I really try to not to be critical but this has me flamboozeled. You obviously took a lot of care and ended up with what appears to be a very solid paint job, got the correct shades and technique to realistically paint the wood grain (not easy) and THEN DIDN"T MASK OFF WHEN PAINTING THE BED RAILS!!!!!! What gives??

I need a headbangingdesk emoticon here.

Sorry for going MIA for a while. The engine on the '55 100_1456.jpg I REALLY wanted to use the magneto, but it just wouldn't fit under the tunnel ram properly. Guess I'll have to use a distributor then...

Andy, I hate to tell you this but I think we have our first rules violation. Tunnel ram intakes weren't available until at least the laste 60's. Chrysler engeneers had just begun experimenting with ram tuned intakes in 1960 (long rams) and the aftermarket didn't start making that style intake for several more years. Do you have a 6-71 blower or another intake that would work for you ?

Actually, I think I'll try my hand at making one of these: 426CH8F.jpg Always loved Hilborn style MFI... :D

Looks cool, but not practical for street use in 1962. With modern EFI a Hilborn style injection can be used in a street aplication, in 1962 with a mechanical fuel pump, someone would need to prime the injectors everytime you were to start the car.

Eh? I was reading up on it, and even though I didn't get an exact year, here's a quote from Wikipedia:

The Chevroletbig block is a series of large displacement V8 engines that were developed in the USA during the 1950s and 1960

Why do you guys gotta make it so hard on me :lol: I don't have any good small blocks laying around though, that's the problem...

EDIT-Oh, I see now that it was only the W series that came out first :( Ugh, I guess I'll just use the small block...

Edited by SuperStockAndy

I gotta chuckle Andy because it just seems like you, poor guy, just can't buy a break. I personally don't know a single thing about the history of engines so I admire your efforts to do something forward thinking within the period.

Lane, I know you posted your finished build in the under glass section. Adding one, maybe two shots here would be a nice cap to your build thread so we can see it all within context. What I saw looked like a pretty handsome finished product. Nice job, are you the first to the starting line?

Haha, thanks, I really don't know much about the history behind engines either :blink: I'll figure something out. I know I've got a 350 in the parts box, I might just use that.

EDIT-Nope, 350 was introduced in '67 :lol: I guess I have no choice but to use the 283 that's in the kit then.

Edited by SuperStockAndy

Most Chevy small blocks share the same block. They just use a variety of bore and strokes. Find an SBC that you like and use it, call it whatever size was available in 1962. The 327 for instance was released in '62, making it a viable Cannonballer, and everyone knows the 327's are capable of plenty of speed.

I agree with Rob - call it a 327. Great engine.

The funnest part of this build for me is the research. I have been slowly assembling the parts I will need and keeping everything 1962 or older is great opportunity to read up on the history of the engines, etc. There is more information than you need and it's only a click away.

Here I have so far gathered the 390 block from AMT '62 Thunderbird, Borg Warner 4 speed t-10 from AMT's 1960 Starliner kit, exhaust manifolds from same, and intake from the T-bird kit.

b2c46672.jpg

I also have the valve covers from Revell's Mysterion kit that will be modified to correctly match those of the 406.

Good thing I decided against doing that Tin Indian myself, Michael (although there isn't a rule against two of us building the same kit in our own style that I know of). It was on my short list before I decided on the Plymouth wagon. I'm loking forward to seeing your take on a road warrior version of this quarter mile terror!