Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '62 Corvette Roadster 2'n1

Dr. Cranky

Hi,

I've found this thread really useful for learning about not only the kit but real '62 Corvettes - thanks guys!

I've got one of these kits now (took a while for one to appear over here) and I'd like to paint it an accurate colour - MCW do not ship out of the U.S. - has anyone got any suggestions on how I can get a realistic representation of '62 vette colours?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

Jim

You could try Hiroboy/Zero Paints, he's in the UK. Probably all you really need is the paint code (you can find this info at TCP Global's Auto Color Library) you might be able to get a local auto paint jobber to mix up some paint for you (I don't know how the regualtions are in the UK, if auto paints are available to the general public).

Or you could buy a set of vintage paint shop paint chips off of ebay - "pete's auto data" is a source I've used several times - and either mix your own or match to what's available commercially. Sometimes Corvette colors are done on their own sheet instead of the same year's Chevrolet colors. Depends on which paint brand the chips are from.

http://www.hiroboy.com

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/default.aspx

http://stores.ebay.com/petes-auto-data

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the reply - I deal with Steve at Hiroboy regularly, he uses an Italian company to provide the recipes for his paints and if they don't have the code listed he's unable to do the ratios correctly. There are some codes for Chevrolets but none as early as 1962. What Steve does have is a huge range chips that he can match so if I get some paint chips off e-bay it won't be 100% accurate but it'll be close enough for me and probably all but the pickiest of viewers.

I'll try the links you have suggested as well, thanks.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi,

I've found this thread really useful for learning about not only the kit but real '62 Corvettes - thanks guys!

I've got one of these kits now (took a while for one to appear over here) and I'd like to paint it an accurate colour - MCW do not ship out of the U.S. - has anyone got any suggestions on how I can get a realistic representation of '62 vette colours?

Cheers,

Jim

Jim,

A simple hobby paint solution would be Testors Model Master Lacquer "Honduras Maroon" - if you don't already have a color in mind.

Happy Modeling,

Matt

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Matt - you can't get Testors model car paints here, a shame as I like the Honduras Maroon and it would make a change of pace from all the bright red ones (I don't mind bright red - in fact I quite like it as my 1:1 hot rod is bright red!!). I was quite optimistic when I heard that Testors paints would start to be sold over here but all that is being imported are the military colours plus some of the basics. A plus is the metalisers are over here now and they're a nice product.

Marcos - ScaleFinishes can't ship paint outside of the U.S. either - I'll either have to get some chips or see if my local car paint shop can use some of the codes from the paint manufacturers, it seems getting the codes isn't too difficult.

Cheers,

Jim

Edited by Jim Whalen

Hi,

Cheers,

Jim

If anyone needs factory codes, or any type of paint information, for the 62 Vette you can find them on my site (scalefinishes.com), or email me (scalefinishes@gmail.com) There is more info, and specs for the '62 at http://www.rogerscorvette.com/specs/62.htm

I hope that helps,

Jameston

Edited by Scalefinishes

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Matt - you can't get Testors model car paints here, a shame as I like the Honduras Maroon and it would make a change of pace from all the bright red ones (I don't mind bright red - in fact I quite like it as my 1:1 hot rod is bright red!!). I was quite optimistic when I heard that Testors paints would start to be sold over here but all that is being imported are the military colours plus some of the basics. A plus is the metalisers are over here now and they're a nice product.

Marcos - ScaleFinishes can't ship paint outside of the U.S. either - I'll either have to get some chips or see if my local car paint shop can use some of the codes from the paint manufacturers, it seems getting the codes isn't too difficult.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim,

You can email me about the colors you are looking for. I will be more than willing to send you the formula info I have, and you can see if a local paint shop will mix it for you.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I really think the new Revell 62 Corvette is closer to 1/24 scale not 1/25. The reason I say this is I was going to do some kit bashing between the 62 Vette and the 67 2n1 Vette convertible, the 62 is huge compared to the 67. I put the 62 up next to the 1/24 65 Vette and they were closer in size. Has anyone else noticed this?

Just went on line to find 1:1 dimensions.

62 Corvette

Total length 177.2" width 70.4"

Wheelbase 102" length 57" front 58.8 rear

67 Corvette

Total length 175.1" width 69.6"

Wheelbase 98" length 56.8 front 57.6 rear

Other than the total length, the differences in 1/25 scale would be negligible. The 62 looks like its 6" wider than the 67.

Every Monogram kit I have ever owned has been 1/24th. I don't thing Revell will re-tool any Monogram kits to fit their 1/25th standard.

Well that's where things get sloppy after the merger. The '58 Corvette was a Revell Pro Modeler, then the '59 was issued in a Monogram box.

The '59 Cadillac was the honest to goodness pre-merger 1/25 tool.