Model Cars Magazine Forum

Out Of Production Resin & Aftermarket Products

On 3/5/2018 at 3:11 AM, Anglia105E said:

I do not intend to sell any cast items and I do not intend to produce a complete kit, so these resin items are purely for my own diorama display. Not sure where I stand legally when it comes to reproducing a body shell from an out of production kit, particularly by Minicraft and Revell. The rights and ownership still belong to Minicraft I believe.

Any thoughts and comments on this issue would be much appreciated, thanks.

David

David, if you read into this thread a bit, I think it will be more fitting to your concern about making a resin copy. I don't think it will ever come to a final answer, but will definitely share some moral insight into the issue.

Thanks Jason, and I shall have a read of the thread that you suggested. Certainly I find it appalling that someone would take a resin cast product, moulded and cast by someone else who has put a lot of effort and time into producing, and then sell it on with their own name put to it.

David

I'm still new to this forum, so am trying to catch up.  I have learned to get what I like when I see it, don't even wait a day to order.  Been finding out that if a website shows the kit is available, but when you order, then you find out they need to order from the maker.   I'm into weird subjects, so finding whatever is even more difficult.   I'm also doing well enough with work that I'm splurging to reward myself.  The cost may seem ridiculous, but if you haven't done scratch-building, or tried casting, or limited mass production, marketing, getting boxes, preparing to ship, dealing with flakes, then you just don't appreciate what is available.

This is something I got last century, when I looked through a flyer distributed at a model contest, and saw this baby, I didn't eat for a week.  I'm really glad I did, because I never see it anywhere!  Now the question is, would it be sacrilegious to put theoretical sponsorship logos on this r&d unique,  Mini Exotics Chaparral 2J "Sucker Car"?

IMG_2646_Fotor.jpg

Edited by 89AKurt

I have a Herb Deeks wire wheel detail set.  But I really don't like the cast metal rims.  I was going to use it on my California Spyder (icon picture), but used only the tires.  This is one case I regretted getting something, but I wanted to support a cottage industry entrepreneur.   I recently got a KA Models detail set of photo-etch with turned aluminum rims, huge improvement.

12 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I'm still new to this forum, so am trying to catch up.  I have learned to get what I like when I see it, don't even wait a day to order.  Been finding out that if a website shows the kit is available, but when you order, then you find out they need to order from the maker.   I'm into weird subjects, so finding whatever is even more difficult.   I'm also doing well enough with work that I'm splurging to reward myself.  The cost may seem ridiculous, but if you haven't done scratch-building, or tried casting, or limited mass production, marketing, getting boxes, preparing to ship, dealing with flakes, then you just don't appreciate what is available.

This is something I got last century, when I looked through a flyer distributed at a model contest, and saw this baby, I didn't eat for a week.  I'm really glad I did, because I never see it anywhere!  Now the question is, would it be sacrilegious to put theoretical sponsorship logos on this r&d unique,  Mini Exotics Chaparral 2J "Sucker Car"?

IMG_2646_Fotor.jpg

Reminds me of a bit comedian James Connell did regarding a marketing class he attended.  The class members were assigned to create an advertising campaign for a theoretical soft drink.  One of the students displayed an ad that said "Drink Theoretical Cola".

As far as decorating the 2J, I would do it just the way Jim Hall and company did.

On 3/5/2013 at 4:07 PM, Elliot949 said:

Art and I tried to work a deal back in 2000 for his business but there was just not a viable way to do it and see the type of ROI that a business person needs to make to just sustain a business... Art Offered alot of assistance to me if I bought the items but it just didn't work... That is also the same time I found out how big of jerk Juha Ario is...

The items for All American Models is to old now to have any value... (except perhaps a certain 1978 LTD. To me anyway)

I know there is alot of negative talk about Art but I will only say that Art got in a situation that he was just unable to get out of... Art is infact a great guy...

I almost let this go by as I have let so many mentions of AA I have seen over the years go unremarked, but I finally just have to say;   Great.  Glad to hear it.  No offense to you personally at all Mr. Elliott, but if you do not mind, and do have contact with him...

Ask him to kindly and finally return my master of the 1978 Ford LTD I had loaned him, that he copied and sold multiple kits of, and quite a few from what I can tell.  I only ever received the 1 of the five kits promised for the use of the master.  Anyway,  despite repeated phone calls and letters that went unresponded to, he never did send it. He promised twice when he answered the phone accidentally back around 2000-02 he but never did. 

Oh, and the 1983 Dodge Diplomat master I had also sent him just prior to his closing down.  That also disappeared along with the 78.  I made them, I'd like them back just because I did.

Kindest regards.  Dwayne Larriviere

20 hours ago, DEL said:

I almost let this go by as I have let so many mentions of AA I have seen over the years go unremarked, but I finally just have to say;   Great.  Glad to hear it.  No offense to you personally at all Mr. Elliott, but if you do not mind, and do have contact with him...

Ask him to kindly and finally return my master of the 1978 Ford LTD I had loaned him, that he copied and sold multiple kits of, and quite a few from what I can tell.  I only ever received the 1 of the five kits promised for the use of the master.  Anyway,  despite repeated phone calls and letters that went unresponded to, he never did send it. He promised twice when he answered the phone accidentally back around 2000-02 he but never did. 

Oh, and the 1983 Dodge Diplomat master I had also sent him just prior to his closing down.  That also disappeared along with the 78.  I made them, I'd like them back just because I did.

Kindest regards.  Dwayne Larriviere

Well, hope everyone enjoyed this thread while it was open, because now it will probably be locked.

Dwayne, while I do understand you being upset by your situation, maybe this thread wasn't the best place to air your grievance. Because now what was a very informative discussion about many long closed aftermarket businesses and their products will probably be locked down, preventing any further discussion.

Hopefully the admins will see fit to leave it open as long as it doesn't escalate. But there typically isn't much tolerance for this sort of thing

Edited by Mr. Metallic

Please suffer me one more explanation and I will shut up for good.

I meant no offense to anyone here, nor to the admins of this site nor am, I trying to 'start' anything.  I just stumbled on this particular thread and after all these years I suppose I just finally ran tired of the 'he's really a good guy' thing.  He probably on the whole is, we had more than a few phone conversations back then, he seemed such.  I will admit he taught me a few tricks back then I had no idea of and extended my working knowledge of scratchbuilding.. (here it comes) BUT..

If you have happened to see either of my threads on the scratchbuilds I am doing elsewhere even the most casual observer can see by post dates how terribly slow I am at what I do.  It took me 8 years to do that 1978 LTD and it was my third attempt.  Almost five to do the Diplomat.  I simply would like to have them back. Please.  Now I have watched these mentions of Art on other sites (including Hobby Heaven where he held forth regularly for years and I kept silent) that run a gamut but mostly along the lines of a good guy who got a tough health break. I'll acknowledge that, it was terrible.  Would not wish that on anyone. Still twice he promised to return them then stopped answering my calls and letters.  Once, ONCE on the HH webboard I made an innocuous post on one of his threads and when he realized it was me he burned up my phone line to call me and promise again (third time) the very soon return of my masters. That was around 2001. Hasn't happened. 

And yet from that point to yesterday, I have not publicly said another word wherever or whenever I saw these mentions. Mostly because Terry Jessee advised me to just let it go and build others and I valued his counsel. I did do a repeat of the Dip but not the LTD.  Then yesterday I saw this umpteenth post about poor Art, just by accident.  I am sorry, it got me.  17 years I have bit my tongue and kept quiet, and yet it still burns that my hard work is just sitting in a box somewhere in Indiana I guess. I just don't understand why he would refuse to give me back my property. What good's it doing up there? We never agreed he would be allowed to keep them forever. I still have models I built going back to when I was ten in 1970, but I don't have those two.

Now I don't want to bring down the level of discourse here, but in my defense, I will point out threads are created in other sections to warn others about poor, slow or unscrupulous sellers when encountered and those seem to have been tolerated. They get pretty rough.  But fear me no more I will not say another word on this here.  I just thought if someone here had current contact with him I might somehow finally manage to dislodge that which I worked on for so long and put tham back in my personal collection where they belong. For that, I would be happy to acknowledge it and say thank you most graciously.

My sincere apologies for my unsettling comments to the good members here and the fine administrators of this wonderful site.  DL.

• Xingu pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...

So, someone once made a '70(?) Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible, and it looks like it was long before Revell released their '71/2:

OldsCutlassConvresin.jpg.b0d804e36acac10ed808fed5f83e3a17.jpg

I see "MCR" (I think) molded into the hood flash area-- was this Model Car World or another company? I don't see how those three letters could stand for Motorsports Miniatures, so I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, MM was not the creator but a seller in this case.

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2013 at 12:53 PM, jas1957 said:

I don't have pictures but Mike's Miniature Motors 1911 Chevy & '50 Studebaker Convertable. After many years of looking I found the Studebaker at Toledo last year.

This is Mike's Miniature Motors '52 Studebaker Pace Car Convertible . The color scheme and correct shades resulted from the Public Library in the day . MCW and autocolorlibrary did not exist . I did not have internet either . Fred Kady Decals  .. 'Cause I could ..  The wags called this Stud the  'clam-digger nose "  Thanx .. 

'52 Stud Pace Car R.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2018 at 7:12 AM, om617 said:

Steve Kohler at Star Models offer the Willys.

Noticed someone on eBay offer the 1970 Buick Skylark convertible,dont remember the name. Intended for Monogram 1:24

Thank you Tommy . I've not been on here much .. Thanx ..

• 2 weeks later...

this was just posted on Tuesday on the GPMA site:

Mike Quarterman just told me that resin casters Paul Fisher of Fisher Models and Joe Vondracek of Quikskins have lost everything

in the California fires except for their lives.  So sad for all the lives and property lost.  

The Large Scale Aircraft modellers set up a Go Find Me for the Fishers. Last I saw it was nearly $10,000.  Hope it goes way beyond that goal. 

Note - in checking the Fisher site and my own correspondence records, I see that Paul and Joe both lived in what was once known as Paradise California ...

Oh boy

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:12 AM, om617 said:

Steve Kohler at Star Models offer the Willys.

Noticed someone on eBay offer the 1970 Buick Skylark convertible,dont remember the name. Intended for Monogram 1:24

I believe the Buick ragtop is from Mill City Replicas...he is still doing business and offering many of his products from the eighties and nineties,

Edited by lizardlust
punctuation

5 hours ago, absmiami said:

this was just posted on Tuesday on the GPMA site:

Mike Quarterman just told me that resin casters Paul Fisher of Fisher Models and Joe Vondracek of Quikskins have lost everything

in the California fires except for their lives.  So sad for all the lives and property lost.  

The Large Scale Aircraft modellers set up a Go Find Me for the Fishers. Last I saw it was nearly $10,000.  Hope it goes way beyond that goal. 

Note - in checking the Fisher site and my own correspondence records, I see that Paul and Joe both lived in what was once known as Paradise California ...

Oh boy

Andrew, if you look just below here there is already a thread about Paul & Joe both being burned out. Sad hews indeed.

Edited by peter31a

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Wonder where the molds end up. Not a whole lot different than the injection plastic molds, now you see em, now you don't.

The molds dry out and become unusable over time, whether used or not.  The heat generated by the curing of the resin dries out thin raised areas on the surface of the mold, in areas like panel lines and cowl vent detail.  Early parts from a mold will have sharp detail in those areas, over time little pieces will dry out and pull off causing loss of detail on parts cast later on.  

On 7/14/2018 at 10:02 PM, Casey said:

So, someone once made a '70(?) Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible, and it looks like it was long before Revell released their '71/2:

OldsCutlassConvresin.jpg.b0d804e36acac10ed808fed5f83e3a17.jpg

I see "MCR" (I think) molded into the hood flash area-- was this Model Car World or another company? I don't see how those three letters could stand for Motorsports Miniatures, so I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, MM was not the creator but a seller in this case.

The accompanying sheet reads "Motorsports Miniatures".  Carl Rees did one also, I can't recall the name of his company.  Didn't Modelhaus do one also?

As for the Aero Willys, Mike Watgen (Mike's Miniature Motors) did one also.  I have one of his.

On 6/6/2019 at 10:02 PM, Mark said:

The accompanying sheet reads "Motorsports Miniatures".  Carl Rees did one also, I can't recall the name of his company.  Didn't Modelhaus do one also?

As for the Aero Willys, Mike Watgen (Mike's Miniature Motors) did one also.  I have one of his.

I have Mike's Willys Aero and '51 Studebaker . Excellent kits . Thanx