Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mixed messages...

Chuck,

I hope this means that you have some nice hobby shops to choose from! I am envious of members who have a decent LHS to give them the supplies and the kits that a Hobby Lobby or Michaels can't/won't. I live in Charlotte, NC and you would think there would be a LHS or two but the reality is that there are a couple of Hobbytown USAs, Hobby Lobbys and Michaels. I have been shopping more and more online and will need to go a show or swap meet to find some OOP kits that a LHS would normally have.

I also agree with you Chuck that a reissued kit with new decals does not warrant $25 but a restored kit not seen in years can be worth it, depending on the subject matter.

I suppose I am fortunate (and a bit spoiled) to live within a 40 minute drive of what have to be two of the best hobby shops in the Great Lakes reigion- Hulings Hobby House and Dean's Hobby Stop. The 'mom and pop' type places seem a bit more willing to listen to what their customers want and keep that stuff in stock, rather than whatever the toy department manager things might sell. And of course there's the internet, though Hulings and Deans are still my main pushers.

I'd like to amend my statement about mostly straight reissues and restored kits- I also have no problem with 'special edition' kits commanding a premium price. The Dirty Donny version of the AMT Chevy Van being one example. But even then, there are limits. Take the Chevrolet 100th anniversary tin box version of the new-tool '57 Chevy. Sorry, I just can't justify spending almost fifty bucks on that when I can get a sealed Pro Shop issue (same kit aside from the decals pretty much) for twenty. But on the other hand, I can see something like that as more of a collectible than something meant to actually be built.

I would have to say that- while Hobby Lobby doesn't carry a selection that interests me, they DO have a variety that usually runs 30 to 40 differant 'current ' kits, plus a good selection of ships, planes, etc.I think, as hobbiests, we're just plain spoiled ! If they would have had this selection when I was a teen ager, I would have passed out from excitement !

Id love to have a REAL hobby shop nearby....but have none so shipping can also effect what I can pay for an item too. I agree with some here the newest re-issues are great to see coming out but it seems there always a hobby shop only thing...Why??? There has been many recent re-issues Id buy if they were able to be purchased around here due to my low income or lack of....many with shipping added in is just too high in the final total for me. Id gladly rebuild an old one or see the older kits in stores around here...they would sell easily. Revell items are easy to get around here for the most part but Id like to see more older AMT,MPC,Johan types here once they do get re-issued or if they do. Its kind of a bummer when the garage sales are better places to look for something different. Locally Id pay 20.oo to 25.oo if it was an older or more interesting re-issue that has not been out in years...you know they would sell if the market is as open as it is here....closest real hobby shop is ether St.Louis,MO. or Springfield,IL.

None....but it would be nice to be able to save the shipping cost and purchase some in my area.

Mark,

Check out Tower Hobbies or Plastic-Models.com (same company) as they have a deal with free shipping if the order is over $25. I just picked up the AMT Phantom Van and Revell 77 GMC Pickup for less that $40 delivered to my door. Yes, I could have gone to Hobby Lobby and got the van a couple of bucks cheaper with the 40% off coupon, but then there would have been the gas and sales tax. Online is the only place I have seen the 77 GMC pickup.

how much attention from a sales associate do you need to buy a model kit?

Constant inventory shuffling- remember? Can't buy the kit if I don't know where in the store they're keeping them this month, and if the employees don't know and I don't feel like scouring the whole building....

And it's nice to have somebody actually at the register when I'm ready to check out. Unless, you know, I'm planning to shoplift.

Constant inventory shuffling- remember? Can't buy the kit if I don't know where in the store they're keeping them this month, and if the employees don't know and I don't feel like scouring the whole building....

And it's nice to have somebody actually at the register when I'm ready to check out. Unless, you know, I'm planning to shoplift.

That's a lot of information for never having set foot in the store.

I long ago decided that the cost of this hobby is nothing compared to the cost of many hobbies I could have gotten into...

That's the way I look at it. I've had a few different hobbies over the years; saltwater aquariums, guitar and amp collecting, comics and toy collecting, and this hobby is by far the most inexpensive.

My girlfriend is much happier now when i come home with a $25 model kit than when I used to come home with $$expensive$$ guitars, amps & FX pedals and rare marine fish and aquarium equipment.. LOL

We want lots of accurate detailed models molded in the USA...But we want them for the same prices we paid 15 years ago.

We are willing to pay extra for the detail we want....So long as we still get to use that 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby.

$25 dollars is too much to pay for a highly detailed kit of a car we've been bugging you to kit for decades...But $125 dollars is great deal on that screw bottom built up AMT Buick Invicta at the swap meet last week.

I Cant believe that screwed up ______________ (insert small detail that most wouldn't notice.) on the new tool '57 Chevy....The original AMT '57 chevy is the best one out there. (even though it has a wire axle going through a gaping hole in the engine block.

Why don't the model companies ever give us what we want? After all they can read this board and see exactly what we are asking for.

I think this is by far the most succinct quote on this subject ever. Man, you nailed it Darin. buick_nailhead-500px.jpg

well "we" might not want to pay for quality but I will.

as long as there is quality inside the box...not another flashy (as in lots of extra plastic) mediocre in its inception and execution reissue...i am willing to pay for it.

...it's nice to have somebody actually at the register when I'm ready to check out...

Do you guys have the self scanning thing going on up there?

Increasingly Supermarkets & the big chain Hardware Stores expect us to scan our own goods and pay for them without an employee being there.

In fact Masters hardware stores (owned by Wal-Mart) don't have any manned registers - you have no choice but to checkout yourself.

I refuse to do this until I am invited to the staff xmas party.

Do you guys have the self scanning thing going on up there?

Increasingly Supermarkets & the big chain Hardware Stores expect us to scan our own goods and pay for them without an employee being there.

In fact Masters hardware stores (owned by Wal-Mart) don't have any manned registers - you have no choice but to checkout yourself.

I refuse to do this until I am invited to the staff xmas party.

I love stores that have self check-out. Especially when I need to run in somewhere for one item (forgotten dinner ingredient, etc.) and I can check-out in a minute vs. waiting behind a line of over-flowing shopping carts. Plus, I'm pretty anti-social so the less I have to interact with people, the better!

I love stores that have self check-out. Especially when I need to run in somewhere for one item (forgotten dinner ingredient, etc.) and I can check-out in a minute vs. waiting behind a line of over-flowing shopping carts. Plus, I'm pretty anti-social so the less I have to interact with people, the better!

^ What Dennis said. I can do it faster and more efficiently myself.

I don't have someone else drive me to the store, pick my items and place them into my cart/basket, nor bring them to the register for me, either, so self-checkouts are fine by me. My only complaint is that there aren't more of them.

I like self-checkout...use it at the groceries whenever possible. One pet-peeve I hate when waiting in line at a normal checkout is being stuck behind someone paying with a check..as if it were still the 20th century.

Edited by Rob Hall

I just sheared off a rear universal joint destroying my driveshaft & pinion yoke on the Barracuda. Between the new driveshaft, joints, and the pinion yoke, not to mention the hypoid additive and gear lube, I'm into it for almost $300. That was an expensive hole-shot.......in an equally expensive hobby.

BTW: I've sent my Wife to Alta twice so she could ski with her Father. I know first hand it's almost a $1,000 for the week.

I like self-checkout...use it at the groceries whenever possible. One pet-peeve I hate when waiting in line at a normal checkout is being stuck behind someone paying with a check..as if it were still the 20th century.

Worse than that is the little old lady who waits until the checker is completely done and THEN she starts to dig around in her purse for her checkbook! Then she writes in the register first, finally writes the check, and THEN starts digging around for her I.D.

Yes, self check out is a blessing!

May I be chauvinistic for a moment...?

Get in the line with the most men (including the checker). Men are on a task to get in and get out. Women delight more in the purchase and social transaction and savor the moment more.

(p.s. I don't want to miss a chance to say I love your work and writing Drew).

Edited by Lunajammer