Model Cars Magazine Forum

....And in the spirit of keeping up the work, here's the initial putty work on the interior tub. Gonna give it lots of time to gas out due to some pretty large gaps being filled.

Then there's the chairs, (notice how they went from being seats, to chairs), which are almost done. Need to add the swivel posts. Thought about armrests, but it would make the interior look too crowded.

Also thinking about a front to back center console with cup holders, but may put them on the sides instead.

Here's the templates for the carpet and headliner.

The widescreen TV is in the paint shop.

2007-02-02001.jpg2007-02-02003.jpg2007-02-02009.jpg2007-02-02010.jpg2007-02-02002.jpg

Wait 'til he finds out he IS the BBQ. Might be a little on the chewy side.......

First off I thought you were talking about Luis....you cannibal, then I realized it was the ducky lol.

Party at someones house...............BYOB

Bring your own BBQ what did you think I was getting at?

Experimenting with Rustoleum Textured paint. I'm mixed about the look. I love the texture, but it makes the interior look like it was carved out of rock. Hopefully when it's done the center console and other details will smooth out the look.

Found some cool textured paper at Hobby Lobby yesterday when I was looking for embossing powder to do the carpet with. They only had metallics, (shoulda gone to Michael's), but I'm happy with the paper. Since I make templates, it's just one more paper template.

Last shot is the headliner. It'll get dome lights and an A/C vent.

I'm going back to bed. Ugggggggghhhhhhh.........

2007-02-04001.jpg2007-02-04003.jpg2007-02-04002.jpg2007-02-04004.jpg2007-02-04005.jpg

It was bound to happen. The Starship Modeler came out in me while I was working ideas for the console shape. I tried to stop it, but it kept taking over my mind. I try to go straight and it does this little upswing on me. I try to stay with semi-conventional styling and it just does whatever it wants to do, so I'm just gonna go with it.

There will be no swiveling seats. Sorry Luna, they did look cool conference style. I'll bring in the steering column from under the dash, so that leaves the side swivel point available. Guess I'll have to put a computer monitor with GPS readings on the screen on a swivel mount. It's getting crowded in here so I better get back to work.

2007-02-05002.jpg2007-02-06005.jpg2007-02-06004.jpg2007-02-06003.jpg2007-02-06002.jpg

Joe, I give you a ton of credit for having the nads to put down the textured paint. But now that it's been a day, are you still feeling the sand cast look? Especially with the starship console? Just wondering.................. 'cuz................ 'cuz................. well maybe it could grow on me in sort of a Flintstones meets Jetsons way.

Joe, I give you a ton of credit for having the nads to put down the textured paint. But now that it's been a day, are you still feeling the sand cast look? Especially with the starship console? Just wondering.................. 'cuz................ 'cuz................. well maybe it could grow on me in sort of a Flintstones meets Jetsons way.

It's growing on me too Mike. And, I don't know how to make it stop. This happens a lot with my builds. That's why I don't do "accuracy" builds. First, I lack the knowledge. Worst, if I get an idea while I'm doing a build, I gotta let it happen.

I truly believe that when I get the detailing done, accent stripes and so forth, it'll distract from any overwhelming feeling we're getting from the "Whole Earth" look.

Now if you'll excuse me, I just found out it's gonna tag the windshield by 1/8th of an inch and I can't find my razor saw.

That texture paint gives almost a "tweed" look that was so very popular on interiors a few years ago. I like it.

Is that the paint that's supposed to give a granite look to items?

Not sure if that's it's intended purpose as they show a generic patio set on the front picture. Your guess is as good as mine Jim, probably better. See enclosed picture. I am going to lightly take a sanding stick and knock down the rough looking bits. Please excuse the gratuitous background bling in the pic. Um, I, er, well, that's where the best light was.

Since we have the whole, "solid as a rock", theme going, I found some nice marble and granite pics during a search that will be just swell for the center console. And golly jee whiz, I think those cup holders will be the bee's knees when I get them polished and permanent.

The console itself, along with the overhead console (window hinge doo-dad), will be Jungle Jim Blue, just like the car.

Next, steering and seat belts. The seats should be mucho improvo by theno.

2007-02-07015.jpg2007-02-07004.jpg2007-02-07005.jpg2007-02-07009.jpg2007-02-07011.jpg

Thanx for staying tuned in everybody (and Luis). I think you're gonna like this update even though I didn't get to the seat belts. I was kinda busy with the seats themselves. First thing was to soften them up with a light sanding. Made all of the difference in the world. I made a seat insert panel template, (again with the templates), then cut out the panels using PSYCHEDELIC duct tape. Added a strip across the headrests and then covered them with my new favorite thing, Liquitex Matte Varnish. Available at most art and hobby shoppes near you.

The console is getting closer. Added the steering column. In addition to modifying the steering wheel, I drilled out the spoke hole impressions. DAG NABIT !!!!! Forgot to punch a hole in the marble inlay for the steering column. It was going to be under the dash, but was too low for the driver. So, I drilled a hole in the dash, super glued in a piece of aluminum tubing and went blindly on my merry way. I have mixed feelings about whether to regret the 70's or not. OH !! Something shiney.............

Where was I? Right, I was talking about the headliner which is now in a state of doneness.

Management reserves the right to disenvow any knowledge of the existence of any rumours or urban legends pertaining to the possibility that any of these words were influenced by a Kitbasher or a Batzilla.

2007-02-07017.jpg2007-02-07019.jpg2007-02-07020.jpg2007-02-07022.jpg2007-02-07016.jpg

Cool steering. It's a submarine yoke. Don't hit the breaks too hard and slide that forward, it might take a couple hundred fathoms to get back. And that my friend is.... (wait for it) no YOKE! :lol: Geez I kill me. (Nice touch on the headrests by the way).

So Mike, um, do I push forward on the wheel to dive or what? Guess a supercharger on a sub would give a whole new meaning to... (wait for it) "blowing ballast." Hah, I kill me too !! Is joke I make for to give people laughing.

Actually, I figure it to be "fly by wire" computer control. Heck of a mod for a 1965 Dodge pickup that's gonna be hauling around a 69/70 Charger, right?

Oh yeah, thanx for whatever it was you said about the headrests being touched. (Kidding) :D