Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri american truck frames almost all the same?

Ok guys, I just started an Italeri Ford LTL9000 and did the frame wrong, it's skewed on one side. I read that most Italeri frames are pretty much the same. Is this correct? Because I'd like to use the frame off a Freightliner FLC I will not build instead of dismantling this one and rebuilding it just as crooked as it is or (most likely...) even worse. Tell me what you think.

The frames are pretty much identical however the Fords have track bars on the rear differentials as well as ramps on the frame taper at the rear, the FLC does not have the track bars or ramps.

Edited by Modeltruckbuilder

Well Italeri has been known to take shortcuts here and there over the years and have never bothered to do correct replicas of the subjects they were doing other than a very few.

They did updates to the truck kits doing new cabs to keep up with the style changes but still kept the old outdated chassis and drive line, and their wheels have never been correct as the rear ones almost allways are hub reduction gears.

I sold off most of my Italeri truck kits due to that...and the fact that it costs a fortune buying parts to correct them and build what you want from them...and I only have two Italeri trucks left in my stash right now, a Volvo 780 and a Peterbilt 378 Long Hauler, those are fairly correct but unfortunately the Volvo doesn't have an engine.

Edited by Force

I'll take the track bars off the old frame and add them to the new one. Unfortunately the ramps will have to stay on the old frame as they are quite stuck there forever, that's too bad because I really like that feature. I'll scratch build another set.

By the way, I might be wrong but, aren't the larger brake air chamber supposed to be on the front drive axle instead of the rear one one a ten wheel truck? Idealy I thought they would all be the same size back there but...

I have seen trucks with the lager brakes, also called maxi brake, on one or two of the drive axles.
The larger chamber holds a strong coil spring that apply the brakes when the air is released from the chamber.

• 2 weeks later...

The Italeri Peterbilt (378 and 377) frames are unique. The Italeri Freightliner (FLC and FLD) frames are correct for Freightliners. The Italeri Fords and Western Stars share the Italeri Freightliner frames.

Just to add a little info from Chucky's post, the FLD frame also has updated large single airbags instead of the double stacked pancake airbags in the other non Pete frames.