Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hess Training Van Conversion

There has bee a bit of discussion about how to deal with the chassis/ drive train on the van. While Tom's is the gold standard with a full frame water tanks and Toro power plant, I took a lazier approach.

DSCN0899_zps3af3b622.jpg

This is the stock bellypan. with twin screw rear drives and a battery box and the engine bottom end

DSCN0901_zpsef2ca26d.jpg

I did some slicing and dicing to the belly pan, I kept the lower pieces and made up a new bellypan from sheet styrene.

DSCN0913_zpse57e48a8.jpg

Here it is finished and installed. I used 2mm angle to reinforce the joints. it is sprayed with John Deere Blitz Black. it is the best satin black paint that I have found. Sprays on anything with out primer and gives a very smooth finish.

I also added dollhouse paper flooring to the model. it is hardwood in a hearring bone pattern

DSCN0914_zpse9464eed.jpg

Thanks for the interest

Carl

• 11 months later...

Any more progress on this Carl? I'm getting the itch to build one too!! I was a master RV tech for over 30 years and worked on quite a few of these! There are a ton of reference pictures of the chassis and such on Google images!

Any more progress on this Carl? I'm getting the itch to build one too!! I was a master RV tech for over 30 years and worked on quite a few of these! There are a ton of reference pictures of the chassis and such on Google images!

Hi Ben

It appears that i skipped some of the build and jumped directly from here to the Under Glass Section. Here is a link

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83486&hl=%20hess%20%20van

it turned out not badly if I do say so myself.

Thanks

Carl

I have two of those Hess vans.......I hope to convert them someday! I always wanted to replicate the orange 'Palm' scheme!

Hey Dave, do you have a picture of the Orange Palm scene version? I have the HotWheels one but I have never seen a real one like that?