Model Cars Magazine Forum

Comp Resin Vs. Revell Duster Funny Car

iBorg

The Comp resins Duster represents an early 70's Duster body, as does the Revell kit body. The only problem that any builder faces is knowing whether or not the decals they have are for an early 70's body or a mid to later 70's body, which is much different than either of these bodies. The later year body has more of a downforce look to it, wheel bumps (in some cases) and the greenhouse sets back much further than the early body design. Unfortunately for Revell's sake, they produced some later 70's kits with the standard early 70's body. The recent reissued Mcewen kit along with the Revollution car in the tin have the inccorect body for that era of car. There are resin bodies still available for later years cars but I don't believe that Comp Resins has one yet.

With all that said, unless you're a stickler for accurate detail, you can use these early 70's bodies for just about any Duster project from the 70's, if you choose.

Chuck.....

A Dave Peters body.....A Goodstuff body......Holy Resin!

Those are two museum pieces. Good Stuff has been gone for at least ten years and Dave Peters for at least five before that.

I'm working on a '71-72 Hot Wheels Duster. I'll more than likely modify the Revell part.

By the way, if you have an extra Peters Daytona......

Modifying the Revell to the eBay purchase may not be that hard. The greenhouse mod is pretty easy. The rear wheel opening is less moving the openings back but removing some of the overhang. The front end and center stripe isn't hard. The headlights.....

Ahh.... the headlights. I can't think of a readily available source.

Mike

I think the 70-76 Duster body that Revell has would work great for the nostalga funny cars that are being

run now a days. If thats the route you want to go. The newer resin one would work better for the pro mods..

I've got 2 of the revell CopOut Dusters to build and the latest release of the McEwen car. I'm saving the

CopOut cars for what if's.

Just my 2cents worth?

I think the 70-76 Duster body that Revell has would work great for the nostalga funny cars that are being

run now a days. If thats the route you want to go. The newer resin one would work better for the pro mods..

I've got 2 of the revell CopOut Dusters to build and the latest release of the McEwen car. I'm saving the

CopOut cars for what if's.

Just my 2cents worth?

Revell doesn't have a body that fits the 70-76 era. The body that is included in all Revell Duster funny car kits from the 70's is a 70-71 style body. Anything later than that requires changes made to the body in one form or another to properly represent a Duster body from 72-76.

Here are a couple of good examples of what I am referring to for anyone that doesn't already know.

This Mcewen car can be built using the Revell kit.

Goose_18-vi.jpg

This one needs a resin body or changes made to the Revell body.

_1398226198_31367253_1437369_n-vi.jpg

This one can be built using the Revell body.

3ace1-vi.jpg

This one would need the resin body or changes made to the Revell body.

74_Ace_Martin_demon-vi.jpg

But as I stated above, this is only for those builders that require the utmost accuracy in their detail of building a model. Otherwise build whatever you want using the Revell kit and if your happy with it that is all that matters.

Edited by 1320wayne

Actually I disagree on the Hot Wheels Duster. Note the position of the blower scoop compare to the first Whipple and McCullough car. Also the rear overhang is too great. Also the front grill area and the rear spoiler needs built up. I guess I'm a bit obsessive.

Mongoose067a.jpg

Wayne, I'm in agreement with you. My only mod on this model was to increase the height of the front wheel wells to more closely match the real car. Other than that, the Revell body was a pretty close match for the real thing. Mike, the difference between the Mongoose and Revellution cars might be more a preference of engine placement than body style. Just my two cents worth.

Edited by AZ Boy

Actually I disagree on the Hot Wheels Duster. Note the position of the blower scoop compare to the first Whipple and McCullough car. Also the rear overhang is too great. Also the front grill area and the rear spoiler needs built up. I guess I'm a bit obsessive.

The bodies are identical. The angle gives a different persepctive. The blower scoop difference is simple. The early Revellution car did not run a blower hat so nothing was sticking through the windshield area. The front grill on the Hot Wheels car is simply a flat panel with a 3 demensional decal. And most of the rear spoilers were different from car to car back then.

The front Grille on the Hot Wheels body was not flat It had a grille hump in the center, and the Revellution Body is not a Kirby Buttera body. I'm speaking of the real cars.

You are correct Jim. I was under the impression that they used the same grill decal as what was on the red car, which is flat.

Goose_24-vi.jpg

However, in this picture here you can clearly see that the blue car had a recessed grill with the center hump raised, along with the marker lights.

drm_vol6057-vi.jpg

Looking at that grill I realize the best thing to do is replicate the grill on the decal sheet so I can put it on in multiple sections. One for the center, one for the lights one for the headlights (they're raised slightly and another to overlay the side pieces.

Mike

Actually the red Carefree car has the same hump in the grille it's also a Kirby body, the Kirby Buttera bodies have a very short back end on them also, and like I said only 118 inch wheel base.The Duster on the Red restored Hot Wheels hauler is also a Kirby body that was originally the blue duster that Prudhomme repainted like the 1970 duster to match the hauler but has the body been lenghtened to a 125 inch wheelbase by the guy we bought it from in 2004.The Comp Resin Body has some issues the whole nose needs to be changed to use for the Mongoose bodies.

post-6461-0-02840700-1356284229_thumb.jp

post-6461-0-61521500-1356284826_thumb.jp

Here is the pic of David Peters body mocked up with a 125" Revell chassis . I did some looking around and found out that car was 125" and the guy who had it before me looked like he was going to unstretch it but I think it looks correct. I think I may have found the best looking Late model Duster body out there

DSCI1573-vi.jpg

what do you guys think before I start moving foward on this body

Chuck

Edited by ratnasty

I know it is much better than the Revell body. The one thing to Remember about the Revell series that we've had since 1971 is they're from 1971!

Few funny cars from 1971 had that style tin or seat. I'm unaware of any national level cars (and yes there were local nitro cars back then) that had that style chassis in 1973. The upright chassis design also was quickly outdated.

The Revell Duster body was not widely used. The Whipple and McCullough and King and Marshall cars may be the only ones. Later versions of the Revelloution car had a different body style.

Only the Charger body is the only part of the first releases (Gene Snow Charger and Revelloution Duster) that seems accurate without modifications for a car beyond the '70-'71 seasons.

Now back to your original question, modify or not. Don't modify unless you have a specific car that requires it. I'm hopeful tonight to post a composite of the Revell Duster and the McEwen Duster showing the correct mods. I think I have side shots of each that will allow that.

Mike