Model Cars Magazine Forum

One Part of the fleet done

Sharp Alan! Did the aux lights on the deck come with the kit or did you make/purchase them? Have not seen one of these in a long time. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

The aux lights just came off a light tree. (never came with it)

Edited by alangarber

Very nice model.

I hate to be a spoiler but according to my references on the Papa Truck the frame was painted gold, Papa Truck was built on a 1976 Kenworth VIT 200 Bicentennial Edition truck and all of those had pale gold chassis.

The AMT kit has a couple more inaccuracies, the Papa Truck had Kenworth's Torsion Bar Suspension and not the 8-bag Air Glide 100 that's in the kit, and the wheels was either chromed Truck Mate 5-hole rims...or later chromed Budd 2-hole rims.
But the current owner Gary Ries/Stagecoach Diesel Motorsports has changed to 10 hole Alcoa rims...he also now owns the Hideout Truck (the transporter for Bandag Bandit) and in the fairly recent pics I have seen of it it also had 10-hole Alcoa wheels.

Most of this is not that visible so it might not matter that much if you're not picky about details.

Here is a goldmine of references on the Tyrone Malone trucks, browse around in Ken Harris albums and you'll find lots of pics from back in the day and more recent pics of the trucks.

http://public.fotki.com/superboss1/

Edited by Force

I have some pics of the unrestored Papa Truck where you can see the interrior, and parts of the chassis. I don't remember where I found them tho', it might have been at Ken Harris Fotki albums or his old Tyrone Malone website, there are some small pics of the unrestored truck in the Tyrone Malone Album but they are very small and hard to see any details.

But the interrior were left original VIT 200 Bicentennial so it's red white and blue with some swirl wood here and there.

If you go to the link and have a look around there are pics of the unrestored Hideout Truck and lots of them and they are great references, but the truck was repainted sometime after AMT did the kits and the paint scheme are not quite as on the model kit...same goes for the Papa Truck.

Edited by Force

This is one very nice looking rig....It's always been one of my favorites.....I could only dream of getting one of these as a kid, but I was able to acquire one as an adult....It's long since been gone, though....Sold for $135 on ebay.....Out of all the stuff they've reissued, I don't know why they haven't done that with this one, yet....You've done an awesome job on this one....

Yes, it would be nice with a re-issue of all of Tyrone Malone's trucks, the Papa Truck Transporter, the Super Boss race truck, the Hideout Truck Transporter and Bandag Bandit race truck...I have them all but I wouldn't say no to a re-issue.