Model Cars Magazine Forum

help with paint colors

new to mcm. Need some help with paint colors for a 68few charger I'm building as a gift for my dad. It is going to be like the1:1 he had in 68. It was light gold with white vinyl top matching interior 318 motor. Problem is I have never seen these colors an he has trouble telling shades of colors apart. I would like to the gold color as close as possible (interior and exterior ). I have some testors pure gold and plasti-kote gm medium gold ate either of these close? Please help.

I would suggest looking at Dupli-Color. They make touch up paint for cars. They have a wide variety of colors to choose from.

Some automotive paint stores may carry Dupli-Color so they could cross reference the paint code. If not you may be able to ask them if you can take the page from their color book so you can match it up (they may charge you a deposit to make sure you bring it back).

If you go that route you will want to do a bit of research on spraying lacquer on plastic (light coats only and give plenty of dry time between coats)

Hope this helps and good luck with reproducing your dads car.

Bob