Model Cars Magazine Forum

Canepa KW, new project

I have a regular T600a kit and the only advice I have is take ur time with the sleeper and the rear suspension in my kit is way wrong. Try in to find an 8 bag kw suspension to graft on. Are gonna build this box stock? With a tanker you should leave off the roof fairing

box stock is the plan, and ya, the sleeper looks like it's going to need a lot of work, the fit of the panels is not quite the best, lol. the tanker isn't going to be permanent, I haven't built one yet [another nightmare of it's own from what I understand] and thought i'd put one behind this for now when it's done.

Tom, everything needs work on this kit. The frame is 1970s W900, the rear suspension should be swapped for an 8-bag from the AMT Aerodyne, the front suspension is incorrect, the engine is a 1970s NTC350 (not available on the T600), the grill & hood are a single molded unit. Even the cab interior is wrong.

Jim, looks like we will being having a text session soon, lol. I noticed a bit of deja-vu looking at the instructions, very similar to the KW I just finished.........

may be some kit bashing going on soon with this........

The only problem with taking the air ride from the snap w9 is that the elephant ears are molded to the from and it is not very detailed. I'm goin to use the air ride from my T900 Australia on mine and the grill could be left chrome with a lil putty to remove the seam many companies make a chrome cover for the 1:1 anteater. Will be following this to see how to build mine.

• Tom, one of the most troublesome aspects of building my first T600, was getting the hood and bumper to line up right and clear each other so you could raise the hood. Combine that with a wheel base thats a good inch to an inch and a quarter to short, and you have a challeging build. They can turn out well though. I stretched the frame and fairings, built some supports for the fairings, moved the tanks forward, and moulded the grille. Here are a couple of pics to show that it can be done.
  • post-11762-0-14284900-1394600664_thumb.jpost-11762-0-72890600-1394600682_thumb.jpost-11762-0-69747200-1394600725_thumb.jpost-11762-0-14604600-1394600754_thumb.jpost-11762-0-36386600-1394600773_thumb.j

Yes, and no. While the engine, transmission, & rear suspension would be correct; the front of the frame would still be incorrect. The T600 & T800 don't have that long, skinny "swoopy" front end like the W900. The front spring hangers are very different. GW Trucks does offer a Front End Correction kit.

T800/T600 (ok, so it's not the best pic, but I think you get the idea):

http://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/truck_brochures/kenworth/kenworth_t800/t800b06.html

Edited by Jim B

I built one many years ago...sometime around when the kit was first released in the early 90's...but I don't remember any big issues except for the hood-bumper clearence.

I didn't use the Canepa hubcaps and cab to sleeper fairings as I added the exhaust stacks, I made them from heat guards from a W925 with aluminum pipes, but otherwise it's out of box.

The pictures are not the best as they are scanned photos taken in the late 90's but they are the only ones I have.

skanna0001b.jpg

skanna0002b.jpg

Edited by Force

thanks for all the info guys. while I mull over if I am going to box stock it, or change the items mentioned, I started on the body. got the main cab painted and have the hood in what's going to be the secondary color. still need to mask the hood and paint the main color on it. have part of the sleeper together, gonna need a lot of body work on it as the seems are terrible. here's where I am at with it,

photo_zpsd9feb09a.jpg

photo_zps8bc56407.jpg

photo_zpsb8e153a2.jpg

photo_zps132cc123.jpg

photo_zpsfb44de30.jpg

photo_zps69c182ec.jpg

photo_zps34a34e22.jpg