Model Cars Magazine Forum

Options for '67, '68 or '69 Camaro Z/28?

Hi, all... having seen the lovely Jodie belting around the desert in a '67 Camaro Z/28 on The Classic Car Show, I was wondering what my options for those early Z/28s were. In an ideal world, it'd be a 1/24 scale '67 model, in metallic blue with white stripes. But the world is probably not ideal, so what kits are there out there? And which one/s are any good?

Many thanks for any pointers!

All the best,

Matt

AMT did a 1/25 '67 Z28 that, if not currently in production, isn't rare at all and should be fairly cheap. It's a fairly decent kit, especially if you apply the little tweaks I describe in a tutorial in the Tips section here.

There's also a metal-body '68 Z kit (I think by Testor) that's pretty nice. Oh, AMT did '68 Z, too, which is on the shelves now, but you mentioned a preference for '67.

If you must have a more detailed chassis/engine, you can use those units from Revell's '69 Z. Be advised that the Revell dual-quad induction will not fit under the flat (non-CI) hood--not with the air cleaner on, anyway.

ETA: Out of curiosity, I just google-fu'ed the particular Jodiemobile you reference. It's a '68, not a '67, and has Style Trim Group (though not RS), rear spoiler (optional, not standard in '68), and a '69 Cowl Induction hood (available in the Revell '69 kit). Seems to be riding on Chevy Rally Wheels (possibly 15x7--they look pretty good size) with '67 center caps. That's about all I could tell from the 2-3 seconds I got on you2be.

Edited by Snake45

Thanks, Richard. I think what confused me is that in the commentary, she called said it was built as a response to the Mustang, and that only 600 of this model had been built. Someone briefed her right later, though, because she tweeted about being in a '68...

Anyway, an AMT "2in1" 68 kit is now on the way, which seems to have both the spoiler and the Rally wheels. Which, if any, of the "tweaks" in your excellent tutorial would still apply to the '68? I really like the look of the sharpened up nose around the grille, so I hope that's one of them! And a Model Car Garage detail set is on the way, which should provide emblems, grilles etc...

All I need now is a 1/24 Jody Kidd. Where's a Fujimi "Supermodel Driver Set" when you need it...?

Thanks for your help.

All the best,

Matt

Edited by Matt Bacon

All of my tweaks would apply. If you want to replicate the Style Trim Group Belt Reveal Molding (the chrome strip under the side windows), the molded-in kit junk still needs to be removed, and a new, correctly shaped one either scribed in or just applied with foil.

The AMT kit will have '68 Rally Wheels. It looked to me like the Jodie car has '67 center caps but I couldn't tell for sure. Just go ahead and use the kit '68 parts. You'd have to be an OCD Camaro nut like me to notice or care.