Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interests outside of model cars?

My interests do change as time goes by, I used to play bass in bands, mostly heavy metal bands, also played some rock and blues. I still have a bass guitar, but haven't played for years. I also used to play with 1:1 cars, mostly muscle Mopars, now got tired of it and honestly, I now prefer 1/25 plastic cars, they do not rust :lol:

My interest now are model cars, of course, and me and my GF recently discovered that traveling is fun :P In february we went to Mexico, we did visit the Mayan ruins in Tulum, also swimmed and snorkeling at Xel-Ha, and swimmed with the dolphins at Delphinus. Then in august we went to Paris, we went up the Eiffel tower, visit Le Louvre, Le chateau de Versailles, the catacombs of Paris, The Pere Lachaise cemetary (where Jim Morrison's tomb is, and we did see it, crazy how many people was there, even after all those years...), we did also visit Le chateau de Vincennes (construction 1370), l'arc de triomphe (which is way bigger than I was expecting...), also saw Notre Dame de Paris, a cruise on La Seine, and more. There's so much to see in Paris, 7 days was definitely not enough. Then we took the TGV to Nice, swimmed in the mediteranean sea, visit Le vieux Nice, also spent a day in Monaco. We are thinking on going back ;)

But now we are looking at going back on sun vacations for a week, in january or february, not sure if it will be Jamaica, or maybe Cuba. We are thinking on going back to Mexico, we really liked it there, and I wanna see Chichen Itza, Playa Del Carmen, and some snorkeling in Puerto Morelos. There's so much to do in Riviera Maya, I'm sure we will find other interesting things to do ;)

Well, after getting back into building over the last year, that certainly absorbs a lot of my free time :D Other things that I'm into are snowboarding (hooray for winter soon), going to car shows, playing drums (nice to see there's a few of us here :lol: !)I've got a show coming up with the band I'm playing in with a couple of buddies, I also play a little guitar and write some of my own tunes, I really enjoy history so I like visiting museums or historical places, I work in the wine industry so I enjoy learning about and consuming wine (wine tasting), as a hopeful career path I'm a voice-over actor though I've done more auditioning lately than anything else.

Oh, and hard to pick a favorite beer but New Castle, Boddingtons and Old Rasputin are some of my favorites B)

Small engine repair. :P I know not much of an intrest but hey I find it intresting.

I like the old stuff,nick.check this out a 30something briggs and stratton,model:zh ,with a brass Kingston carb.008.jpgthe rust is painted clear so you dont get your hands dirty. ;)

Haven't seen a Charvel like that in a while!

I'm told it's from the early eighties. A drummer I once worked with called it "The Hockey Stick" ;)

It has a decent sound and it's really stable as far as the neck set-up and staying in tune. Of course, that could also be the Phoenix climate. :P

Edited by David G.

Hey Gang,

Cool topic, glad I caught up with it, nice to see what everyone likes. Me, I play music for fun, played professionally for a long time, lots of studio work too, but now, just write little bits and pieces, mostly just for me. Keyboards since age of 6, drums, my main instrument since a teen, also melodic percussion sometimes, and some guitar and bass, but only on occassion. Also enjoy the water, swim, snorkle, dive and sail...which explains a lot about where I live. Also, try to go on at least one cruise a year, usually to Cozumel or Jamaica, love the warm water and sea-life there. Ride my bicycle, lift some weights, pretty good shape for 50+ years old. Read like a fiend, since a kid I have always enjoyed a good book, no specific catagory, I just like the act of reading. Raise and attempt to breed some exotic freshwater tropical fish, which I why I paint in the garage, fumes will XXX them. Like 1:1 cars and bikes, no project going right now, but keeping my eyes open for a cool "deal" to play with/restore. Spend a lot of time with this hobby, just got finished with an almost year long trial-and error phase, repainted one car 5 times just to try different paints and techniques, read the forum almost daily, love to see what you folks are interested in and building, learn a lot just watching, and enjoy the builds a lot!! Model cars are jus so cool, glad I found my way back to the hobby, just so happy to build my cars and to look at yours. Love the Revell choppers, for some reason, have 2 I just can't get finished yet (have cool ideas but not the talent to pull off the ideas yet) and maybe will get the nerve to post something someday. In the meantime, just glad to look at what you built. thanks for listening!! :lol:

Mike

Besides Model Cars and contributing to MCM I like:

Building and racing slot cars:

P1010317-vi.jpg

Painting and illustrating automotive art:

convertiblestock72dpi-vi.jpg

Collecting vintage "CARtoons" magazines:

CTM70-vi.jpg

Collecting vintage 8-tracks and 8-track players:

P1010820-vi.jpg

F.Y.I. The first two contain links to more pictures if you click on the image.

B)

I work on european cars for a living, and since entering that field I have gotten into NASA and SCCA track events, I loosely follow world challenge racing but only if my boss is driving. I read a heck of a lot, my library goes from David Baldacci to Stephen White. I also have several teen and youth book in my collections because after several long reads a few simple "quick" reads is a nice break. I have an intrest in early Fords and intend to someday complete my project pick up that resides in my back yard. I collect diecast construction models and Hot Wheels, as well as any other automotive trinket that strikes my fancy.

I rebuild old elcetric guitars I find in yard sales and work on an old ElCamino that has hung around for about 10 years or so waiting to be finished!

Also have occasionally built racing engines for street stocks and a few drag cars! Been a while though because of health. Will be doing one for a modified over the winter as a favor for a friend that needed a little helping hand.

He is buying all the parts and I'll donate the labor for a pit pass for the wife and I when he races in town!:P

My main interest is motorcycling - mostly long-distance riding and endurance rallies, but I don't need much of a reason to hop on my scooter. My main ride is a 2007 Honda Gold Wing, but I still have my 1988 Kawasaki Concours, too. Just need to get it running again :unsure: - the poor thing hasn't moved since I got the Wing. Model cars is my longest running interest - I've been at it since the mid-1970s. Maybe one day I'll improve. Other interests include pretty much any mode of transportation (submarines, trains, and Thunderbirds/Porsches/70's Italian exotics particularly fascinate me),technology/computers (especially VMware ESX and other server OS/hardware), all models in general including model railroads, and the Battle of the Atlantic in WWII.