Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Fury III Fast Top

Mopar - D

This is a R&R kit I picked up a couple years ago and have decided its time to build it. This is a 1968 Fury III Fast Top I'm changing it I from a curb side to having a detailed 383 or 440 under the hood. I'm going to use a JoHan 68 cop car for the chaises and hood as the only big problem with the resin cast was the holes in the hood. I'm going with the Magnum wheels and Dupli-Color Charcoal Gray with a black vinal top and black and white interior. Here's the pictures of where I'm starting at. Your comments and ideas are more than welcome.

01feef5426f656fddb55d4107a18b6a4.jpg

b38b23c48eaa7950f13fed11b7abbdbf.jpg

51f0cd29a47fc6df8bb127c420a01212.jpg

f54bbadb99c7f90c8b8d6110b6e9c1bf.jpg

I picked one of these up at a police auction in the late 70's. They had hung on to it for undercover work. Bland beige paint and steel wheels outside, and a 440 under the hood - the ultimate sleeper! I'm definately looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.

That should be a sweet Fury when you're done with it !

1968 was the last year that one could get a 4-speed in the C-body line , with the 330 hp 383 as the top choice (no 440 / four speed available , unfortunately) . Maybe your Fury would look even sweeter with a Hurst shifter (spring 1968 & later) or an Inland shifter (up-to Spring 1968) peeking from its console ! The Jo-Han kit already has a 4-gear behoind its 'generic' Chrysler big block , so your work's cut out for ya :) .

Nick, with Ray'

s passing, I don't know IF you'll be ABLE to get anymore R&R stuff! You can call Steve Kohler at Star models and ask him IF he can still get anymore of Rays castings and ask HIM what he thinks of the castings your lookin for, he will give you a STRAIGHT answer as to the difficulty or ease of assembly on a particular kit.

After checking my color selection again I found that it was only for the Imperial in 68 .

I'd say go ahead with your original colour choice . Chrysler would let anyone special order any colour , especially if it was already in their chart . I've seen an EA9 Charcoal Irr' 1970 Challenger R/T ; that colour was only 'available' on the 1969 Imperial ( the "E" in the paint code = "1969" ) .

It was coded "999" on the fender tag . I'm sure that the same was true --albeit under a different sales code-- for the 1968 models .

Well I received my Fury Police car kit yesterday and checked out the hood and chassis they are going to work good and I'm going to go with the front grill from the police kit but will be removing the police on the license plate. Added the vinyl top trim some BMF and primer. Looking to make some more progress next weekend with the first color coats. Here are a couple pictures on this weeks progress.

2e07241bd3ad9f7b271f47f07baf2f6d.jpg

e4067e373bd53982d97efa1e4b4fcfc4.jpg

4acbd7374676f959e3b1ab1a45c00541.jpg

Dan,

I am really enjoying this one, as I have an original, un-built JoHan Convertible, and a F&F Resin 2-Door Hardtop, that I bought a long time ago, which is quite nice. I plan to add the fender skirts, and scratch build the split bench front seat, as no 1968 Fury III had buckets and a console. One will be an automatic on the column, and the other will be a 4-speed, both being 440 cars. The color combos have not been decided upon yet.

Your build is looking pretty good so far.

Mopar -D- you posted at 318! Cool! I'll watch this build as a '67 Fury II wagon was my first car. Good color choices- yours should look nice when it's finished. I had two of the Johan '67 kits- one was built and subsequently destroyed about 40 years ago, one was an in-the-works that got too involved about... 18 years ago; it, too, bit the dust. Duh. I still mentally kick myself every now and then.

Edited by johnbuzzed

Looking good, just thought I'd throw some information in about interior, you currently have it all White, For the most part all white interior Mopars generally have black dash boards, steering columns, windshield trim, kick panels and carpet (sometimes arm rests too).

Here's a picture of a '68 III With White Interior (and split bench) I apologia for the quality, I don't hoard pics of Slab C bodies, only Fuselage C body Fury's :lol:

images_zpsca5338ec.jpg

While my car is a Fusey and a convertible, I figured the pictures may be useful anyway. Had to dig back to when my interior wasn't wrapped and squirreled away :blink:

T2eC16NHJGE9nm3ouBQGHiLPTkg48_20.jpg

GEDC2662.jpg

Thought I had more.....hmm I'll have to remedy that this spring.

Nick

Dan,

I am really enjoying this one, as I have an original, un-built JoHan Convertible, and a F&F Resin 2-Door Hardtop, that I bought a long time ago, which is quite nice. I plan to add the fender skirts, and scratch build the split bench front seat, as no 1968 Fury III had buckets and a console. One will be an automatic on the column, and the other will be a 4-speed, both being 440 cars. The color combos have not been decided upon yet.

Your build is looking pretty good so far.

A Fury convertible was my first kit ever. Could it have been 40+ years?

Nick thanks for the pictures your correct about the white interiors I already had plans to go with the black carpet, dashboard and rear deck lid.

Thanks Carl

John back then I was just starting to build and I was into the AMT and MPC kits not knowing what I was missing out on with the JoHan's.

Edited by Mopar - D