Model Cars Magazine Forum

Status of Lindberg?

We haven't heard a peep out of Lindberg models for over two years, and I think the Dodge Charger Police Cars were the last new kits (maybe modified reissue would be more accurate?) they released in 2010. They didn't attend the 2012 iHobby show, and I don't think anything they announced at iHobby 2011 has seen the light of day, at least going by what Gerry reported on: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49241&hl=ihobby

Their website's newsletter signup link is broken, and they haven't updated anything on their site for at least two years...not a good sign.

Anybody have any inside info as to what going on in Toledo? Steve Goldman, maybe?

I'm pretty sure the last kit issued from Lindberg is the LRW drag set which was molded state side. I believe it was released after Ernie left. I only worked with Ernie and I never really talked with anyone else.

J.Lloyd is the parent company, owned by Jody Keener and they're out of Cedar Rapids. They have a molding facility in Kalkaska, Michigan. J Lloyd owns a lot of other brand names besides Hawk and Lindberg but I don't follow any of those.

New tools were done in China as in the Dodge Chargers and Monster trucks, everything else is here. The last public comments Jody made about Lindberg was in 2009 saying everythings just fine. I doubt he has any interest in running the day to day operations of it. Olie's Closeouts has been the only place to get any recent kit shipments of that I'm aware of since that last release. Read in to that what you like ...

Speculation is that Jody's looking for a buyer for the brand but I don't think anyone that really knows for sure will talk openly about it. I'm just going to wait and see what happens ..... maybe 2013 will bring better news.

Steve

• 2 months later...

I don't think there's ever been a more schizophrenic model company than Lindberg, especially during the '90s.

The '53 Ford and '66 Chevelle proved they were capable of designing models that could hang with anything else in 1/25, but, just like MPC, they seemed determined to shove 1/20 scale models up everyone's dorsal orifice. These 1/20 kits were generally very well done, but as MPC found out, there's not enough interest in 1/20 scale kits to make them viable. I have no doubt that AMT is cleaning up on the 1/25 Gremlin they reissued, despite its flaws, because it's in a scale that the majority of us have been building since who knows when.

Only a schizophrenic company like Lindberg would look at information like that and insist on cranking out...a 1/20 Gremlin.

OK, enough 1/20 bashing. Let's go to the other extreme Lindberg's known for: 1/32. Every auto model magazine "wish list" I've seen since the early '90s has had the '73 Pontiac Grand Am on it, but for some reason, no one has taken up the challenge, although Lindberg did create a series of 1/32 snap kits that included the Grand Am as well as a number of other models. Unfortunately, they're more like 12-piece toys than anything you'd feel pround to display. OTOH, those of you who like building "donks" would've appreciated the oversized tires & wheels.

I guess I'm just wondering where Lindberg would be now if they'd put a little more thought into what they decide to produce. Case in point: the Gremlin. On the positive side, it looks like they decided to do an earlier model Gremlin than AMT's '76, which is what most of is would have preferred. And even Lindberg wouldn't have had to sweat too hard to outdo the AMT kit for features and accuracy (such as a kit without a wire axle through the engine). Coulda been a big win in the right scale...

Now imagine that the same people who engineered the '53 Ford kit were assigned to do a full-detail 1/25 '73 Grand Am. Too bad we'll never see it. If Lindberg survives, they will probably be happy to just continue pooping out more snapper cop cars and more 1/32 junk.

Edited by Monty

i wonder who they think they are going to sell that junk to? kids for toys? i am specifically thinking of that surf buggy thing in 1/20 scale. its got "loser" written all over it. soon to be released direct to dollar store closeout bargain basement.

oh yeah nice box art too. i like how they photoshopped that ray-ban dude into the pilots seat of their lame buggy complete with seams down the center of the vinyl tires. classic.

Edited by jbwelda

Makes one wonder about that warehouse fire they had where the "damaged" kits ended up at Ollie's- did it happen or did they dump a bunch of kits to raise capital?

I think the fire story was just a story. As I heard it, Lindberg over produced a bunch of kits that would be slow sellers and had a huge warehouse full of stuff they couldn't sell. So they wholesaled it out. Ollies makes it sound damaged or distressed to protect the original owners salability in regular retail markets. That big sale at Ollies was over a year ago, I was there last weekend and they still had product in the store!

I picked up a few of those Ollies kits, and one (The F-150 4X4) had a melted tire in the box, and a bunch of warped parts, so I beleive the warehouse fire story was correct. And if your nose is good enough, there was a very slight smoke odor to a few of the kits I bought, but it was hard to pick up. I imagine if the kits were stored in another warehouse prior to hitting Ollie's that slight smell could be gone bfefore you got it in your hands.

I guess I'm just wondering where Lindberg would be now if they'd put a little more thought into what they decide to produce. Case in point: the Gremlin. On the positive side, it looks like they decided to do an earlier model Gremlin than AMT's '76, which is what most of is would have preferred. And even Lindberg wouldn't have had to sweat too hard to outdo the AMT kit for features and accuracy (such as a kit without a wire axle through the engine). Coulda been a big win in the right scale...

Now imagine that the same people who engineered the '53 Ford kit were assigned to do a full-detail 1/25 '73 Grand Am. Too bad we'll never see it. If Lindberg survives, they will probably be happy to just continue pooping out more snapper cop cars and more 1/32 junk.

The 1/20th Lindberg Gremlin is a 40 yr old kit--pre dates the AMT '75/76 by a few years (those are '70s kits also), and the 1/32nd kits date back to the '70s also...so they were just re-issuing old tooling w/ those, not much investment to put those out...

I think the '90s 1/20th kits were there because the guy that was the MPC 1/20th proponent in the '60s was at Lindberg then...they had some interesting subject choices, but in the wrong scale....about the only kits I really like in 1/20th are F1 racing car kits. I do like their 1/25th modern tools like the Chevelle, Cutlass, and '64 Dodge and Plymouth...it's too bad they never did more variations on the Dodge and Plymouth.

Edited by Rob Hall

Maybe they should start re-issuing their OLD 'Matchbox/Hot Wheels' Scael "Mini-Lindy's" kits.

I know several of those that start at $10.oo on evilbay.

Their 1/32 scale 70's era cars were basically Enlarged Mini-Lindys!

Look at the chassis if you have one.It actually reads "Super-Mini-Lindy" on it!

I have several of them. Challenger, Cuda, El Camino, Benz SL, Charger, Cordoba,

Grand Prix, Omega (Oldsmobile Nova), Grand Am.

I can tell you that only the Charger & Cordoba, and Olds Omega are correctly 1/32 scale. The Cuda/Challenger,

El Camino and 2 Pontiacs are under size .
ALL had the Same tires (Just Like their Pocket size kits did) They Look too large on the Cuda/Challenger

etc, but are way Under size on the Charger & Cordoba.

The Omega matches Revell's SWAT Nova kit.

And like others have said, Take any Lindberg kit with a Grain of Salt.

Unless you Kmnow for a Fact it was a NEW Tool After their 53 Ford, it most likely is Not.

The 1/32 scale kits are all OLD, The 70's kits ARE Lindberg but From the 70's, thus almost 40 years old!

The Older cars, 30's-40's are Pyro/Palmer kits

I have Many of those as Originals from the Mid 60's!!!!

The 1/20 Gremlin & Vega were New in 72, so again OLD!!

At the time Lindberg was not into High Detail, just like many of us were not!!

If it looked like the car in our driveway, or next doors, or the parking lot we were happy

Yes, They should add the little notice about "this kit is an Older design and may not assemble like our Modern kits"

But, Few of us here did not know that the Classic cars they issued were not theirs to begin with not Newly tooled.

Most of us realized upon seeing them what they were;

Would I like to see them as New tooling, Yes. Will we? I don't know that.

If you like the subject, Buy it. If you are worried about what is in the box, Wait for the Review, or ask in the forums,

and groups you are a member of before buying.

That is what I do.

I have one of the x-Pyro/Palmer 1/25 scale 48 Lincolns. I Asked for it in trade Knowing what it was.

Would I buy the other 2 like it? Yes If I can.

If offered the 1/20 Gremlin would I accept? Yes even though I limit my collection to 1/24-25 and smaller

I have a few of MPC's 1/20 Ford Econoline van. so do get larger if it is something I can not find in 1/25.

I don't have the AMT re-issue 78 Gremlin yet, and know I could get the Lindberg kit Cheaper.

I wish I had found the Police Chargers at Ollie's, but all they had left were the Alabama 97 C-V's

The 1/20th Lindberg Gremlin is a 40 yr old kit--pre dates the AMT '75/76 by a few years (those are '70s kits also), and the 1/32nd kits date back to the '70s also...so they were just re-issuing old tooling w/ those, not much investment to put those out...

I think the '90s 1/20th kits were there because the guy that was the MPC 1/20th proponent in the '60s was at Lindberg then...they had some interesting subject choices, but in the wrong scale....about the only kits I really like in 1/20th are F1 racing car kits. I do like their 1/25th modern tools like the Chevelle, Cutlass, and '64 Dodge and Plymouth...it's too bad they never did more variations on the Dodge and Plymouth.

The guy pushing 1/20 scale models was George Toteff. I remember being elated the first time I heard that MPC had done up a decently detailed '69 AMX. Imagine my disappointment when I learned what scale it was.

Thanks for cluing me in on the age of the Lindberg Gremlin. I'd never even heard of it until its latest release, and I didn't pay much attention to it then because of the scale issue. As I said, some of the 1/20 stuff they did was very nice. I recall being impressed when a friend of mine showed me their '94 Firebird kit. If it had been made in 1/24 or 1/25 scale, I probably would have chosen it over anything comparable from AMT, Revell or Monogram at the time.

I'm not a big fan of most mid-'60s Mopars, but you're not the first one to mention that Lindberg could have done so much more with their Plymouths and Dodges.

OTOH, some of the stuff they did (Hoppin' Hydros, anyone?) just leaves me convinced they'd prefer to be a cheesy plastic toy company.

Edited by Monty

I wish I had found the Police Chargers at Ollie's, but all they had left were the Alabama 97 C-V's

The police Chargers were never part if the Ollie's inventory. They exist BECAUSE of the Ollie's inventory. Depending on the store and if you got in before the good stuff sold out there were some of the earlier SRT-8 Superbee Chargers to be had.

The Craft House days when they were in Toledo where when all the new tools were cut. I believe only the Charger and Dodge Monster Truck were tooled after.falling into the bottomless pit that is J. Lloyd.

I used to love those Mini Lindys when I was a kid. I was a big Matchbox and Hot Wheel guy and they had different vehicles that added to my collection. And since I used to take apart my diecast to paint and detail them, they were ideal since they came as a kit!

I collect those 1/32s. Again, LIndberg picked subjects that we didn't see in 1/25. Some of the subjects are mentioned above, I also have the Ford Granada. Some of these bring real money on eBay! I think if the tooling still existed we would have seen them already. In fact, back in the 1990s I remember seeing a couple of them as dollar cars in the supermarket. I bought the Gremlin, a Corvette and a Thunderbird at that time.

Remember, the last management at Lindberg filled a warehouse with everything they had. I think that's all the old tools that exist.

It would be a shame if they disappeared from the market.

I just love the 66 Chevelle kit. Whenever I see a decent price on that auction site I grab it. I actually found one on there yesterday for $12 plus shipping.

I also like their 61 Impala kit.

They have some great kits they could re-issue that would create some good cash flow for them.

oh yeah nice box art too. i like how they photoshopped that ray-ban dude into the pilots seat of their lame buggy complete with seams down the center of the vinyl tires. classic.

On the other hand, at least they had the decency airbrush the seams away during that same Photoshop session- at least you'll now you're expecting them.

It would be a shame if they disappeared from the market.

I just love the 66 Chevelle kit. Whenever I see a decent price on that auction site I grab it. I actually found one on there yesterday for $12 plus shipping.

I also like their 61 Impala kit.

They have some great kits they could re-issue that would create some good cash flow for them.

Speaking of their Impala, I have one of their "Round" windshield versions. I'm wondering what I can do with it?

One can't blame Lindberg for not trying hard. For a good few years, they put in a bigger effort than all other American kit producers combined at the time.

They filled a long gasping gap with their excellent '53 Fords and with their 60s Mopars they gave us something to pimp our Jo-Hans with, including a decent Slant Six (one wonders, where the capital for the tooling came from). Large scale modellers may have been delighted by their fairly recent 1/12 and 1/8 reissues, which included the very sought after Exterminator, a kit that can hold its own even today and is an excellent source for vintage speed equipment in this scale. IIRC it even includes a Potvin option?

Then they catered to the truckers at heart with the re-releases of the loooong missed IMC big rig stuff, the Lil Red Wagon, and also the AMT 34 Ford P/U was a very welcome reissue.

OK, I bought them all. Twice. Even trice. Now what?

I seem to remember that Lindberg is run by a bunch of true veterans of the hobby, some of which having been around since the heyday 60s. Maybe the current management of Lindberg just reached the end of their working life, looking forward to a well deserved retirement?

One thing is for sure. Going down the 1/20 street in this time and age will not save them.

It was a mistake back then and they should have learned their lesson.

Edited by Junkman

I have a couple of these kits in the stash. I was just looking at the convertible and it appears to be OK. Now I just have to dig through and find the others. I did build one awhile back and it is OK. I must of been lucky to not get one of the incorrect versions.

I agree with the 1/20 scale not being a big seller. I really couldn't understand why they were producing kits in that scale. There were a few that would have been great in 1/24 or 1/25 scale.