Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 CADILLAC ELDORADO - - IMEX KIT

Ramfins59

Thanks Daniel. Since I'm doing up the interior, and it's coming along nicely, I'd like to be able to put on a boot cover instead of using the convertible up top. The IMEX kit doesn't come with a boot cover, so it looks like I'll have to try to scratchbuild my own. Is the Heller kit a 1/24 scale..?? If it is, would you be willing to part with the boot cover..??

Dan I thank you... both for your kind words and for the kit.

Edited by Ramfins59

The Heller kit is a Cheap copy of this one,

The Big difference is that the rear axle is cast as part of the chassis,

while the trailing arms and Metal Springs are separate. It is designed for a battery operated motor!!

Yes, I can let you have to Boot cover.

Not sure how long before I can send it though.

Unemployment Stinks!!!!

Okedokey... The "crew" at the upholstery shop finally completed work on the Caddy's interior. Everything is installed except for the steering wheel.

To recap, the carpet and the package tray are flocked in Brown. The tuck & roll portions of the seats are done in leather. The flat panels on the seats and door panels are flocked in a Tan color that was custom mixed. The door panels also have some flat Tan paint. BMF trim is on the door panels and the top of the seats. The kit supplied door handles and chrome window switch and lock panels were installed along with the dashboard. Pictures follow...

. 58CADDYINTERIOR11024x716_zps438f8671.jpg

58CADDYINTERIOR31024x664_zps166daec3.jpg

58CADDYINTERIOR21024x753_zps5309d52e.jpg

58CADDYINTERIOR41024x728_zps423fb4c6.jpg

Since the Eldorado is a classy car, I tried to give it a classy looking interior. It was a chore, but I think it turned out looking pretty cool. Now the car can go to the paint shop (as soon as Mother Nature cooperates and gives me a good day to paint.

Thanks for peeking in at it. More progress follows, hopefully soon.

Hate to do this, But, That 'Package Tray' is actually the Pocket where the Soft top will go

when Down, and is covered by the Boot!!

Otherwise, Looking good.

And for anyone interested, The Heller/Lee Boot cover will fit the IMEX/Arii body nicely!!

I have both kits and tested this earlier today.

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Thanks very much for the encouraging and kind comments everyone.

Yes John, once the body is painted, cleared, polished and foiled, then final assembly starts. It's moving along nicely.

Daniel, no problem if the "package tray" is covered by the Convertible top boot cover. I wasn't sure if it would be totally covered, so to be safe I just flocked it.

Mike, I really enjoy working on interiors and I had fun doing up this one. I tried to make it as classy looking as the car is.

Only a little bit of additional progress today. Mother Nature just won't lighten up and give us a good dry day here for painting. We get some snow showers every day from the Lake effects BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH...

The steering wheel & shifter are attached and the entire interior assembly is installed in place. I put a Caddy crest decal from the Revell '49 Merc in the center of the steering wheel. I also used a cowl light from my parts stash to replicate the sensing unit on the dashboard that lowers the headlights when there are oncoming cars.

58CADDYSTEERINGWHEELINSTALLED1024x757_zp

The firewall is attached, a brake line put in, and all hoses are connected. The battery has also been put in place and the cables have been connected.

58CADDYINTERIORANDFIREWALLINSTALLED1024x

Now I'm sort of in a holding pattern waiting to paint the body pieces. I've got all the chrome pieces cut off the tree, cleaned up and touched up. The grille is blackwashed, the parking and backup lights are detailed and installed, as are the license plates. I drilled out the exhaust tips and put some flat black in the holes. The wheels & tires are all assembled and ready to be attached.

If this snow BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH keeps up I may have to start in on another model just to keep busy...LOL. Let's see... should it be the '58 Corvette or the T-Bird..??

Edited by Ramfins59

Go for the T-bird. Corvettes make me yawn.... ;)

Inteior & engine detailing look really good! Nice job replicating the A/C plumbing, an often over looked detail. And as for the weather, at much effort & expense we have tickets for opening day at Citi Field next Monday. We're hoping for an improvement too Bro! This year may be the fist time I get to dress for all four seasons going to see the Mets aggravate us......

Looking good buddy, looking good!

Edited by FASTBACK340

Thanks John. This was my first attempt at trying to do A/C plumbing. I just tried using bits of wire, tubing and hose line to replicate what was shown in some googled pictures that I downloaded. I'd be at a loss doing a lot of detailing if it wasn't for the Internet and reference pics... an invaluable resource... since I'm not a mechanic although I have a general knowledge of older cars, having owned the Dodge. I find that models look so much better with the added detailing of wires, hoses, etc., although it can get tedious and overwhelming at times. If you plan it out in advance, predrill all the mounting holes in the right places, and attach things in the right order, overall, things come out usually looking pretty good. Of course being neat and clean with the glue helps a lot too.

Thanks a lot Jeff and Ira. I was hoping to be able to get some paint on the body today since it's NOT snowing, but, as fate would have it, today is my daughter's day off, so she of course decides to sleep in...!! She bunks down in the basement where my workshop is. I could go down and "disturb" her, but the considerate part of me (good angel vs. bad angel thing) says leave her alone on her day off..!! Tomorrow into Monday we're supposed to get another storm... I can't win..!!