Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Lincoln Continental

Chuck Most

Yes, this is an original AMT annual kit. And yes, I 'ruined' it by building it. I regret nothing... I think it looks way better like this than it did as a bunch of styrene lumps in a box!

IMG_60161-vi.jpg

IMG_60171-vi.jpg

IMG_60181-vi.jpg

IMG_60211-vi.jpg

IMG_60221-vi.jpg

It is mostly box stock, aside from the '25 T kit Lincoln valve covers, '65 Lincoln custom exhaust manifolds, the '66 Buick air cleaner, and the Hurst mags from a '66 Mercury kit. I also lowered it by drilling the axle holes higher in the chassis. Wonder if the tooling for this one still exists, in some form? (There are many identical parts with this and the '66 promo I have, but not a lot of similarity with the oft-reissued '65 kit...)

Edited by Chuck Most

Ahhh; the smell of old plastic, and to be able to also build it, what a wonderful feeling. There is just something satisfying about building an old kit. You get to have the fun of building, the parts left over to keep the smell of the old plastic in the box, and the box to view. I've been diving into some of my stash, and building some of them. There's something fun about building something that I paid five or ten dollars for many years ago, and now I'm building a model values at well over a hundred dollars. That's a very clean build, with a nice mixture of old school and new school.

I can dig it Chuck. '69 is the only one I'm missing of that bodystyle. :D

BTW, those wheels aren't Hurst, there Kelsey-Hays 20 spoke cast wheels. A buddy of mine had them on his '72 Vette convertable.

Steve... '61, '62, '63, '64, '67, and '68 are the only ones I'm missing from that body style! (Unless you don't count promos... then I'm short a '66, too! :lol: )

Not sure why I've been refering to them as Hurst spokes- maybe because I'd originally considered running Hurst mags on it? Or maybe I'm just a moron.

I do have to say, it was weird building this kit, the whole time thinking "Wow- this kit is 13 years older than I am, and it's just been sitting around for 41 years, not being built!" I have to say it's quite a strange feeling!

Nice :lol:

I also have one mint in the box that I intend to build. A second has the box and had a little light assembly, was missing hood and one of the headlight units, I was able to get a resin hood from a caster who is no longer in business, and I cast the second headlight piece myself. The headlights themselves on the '69 kits seem small.

I also have a mint unbuilt '66...I intend to built it as a convertible ;):D

Oh, yes, that's Emerald Envy, or whatever thay call it. I'd originally toyed with black/ red interior, but I thought it would look too much like something Tony Soprano's dad would have driven! :blink:

I dug out my old '66 promo last night... seems that the promo shares quite a few parts with the '69 kit, yet virtually nothing with any of the '65 kits I have. The dash appears to be exactly the same as in the '69 kit as do the stock wheel covers, and the chassis, aside from the lack of screw holes and the thin wire axles instead of the promo's fat, knurled metal rods, appear to be identical. Leads me to wonder if the '69 kit tooling still exists, since it seems totally different from the '65's...? I sure hope so!

IMG_60671-vi.jpg

IMG_60681-vi.jpg

IMG_60691-vi.jpg

IMG_60721-vi.jpg

IMG_60731-vi.jpg

Edited by Chuck Most

I dug out my old '66 promo last night... seems that the promo shares quite a few parts with the '69 kit, yet virtually nothing with any of the '65 kits I have.

That's because in 1966, Lincolns went through a subtle, but very thorough, revision. I believe all the body panels are different, with the possible of the roof.

There were minor revisions made from 1967-69.

Charlie Larkin

Beautiful piece great ext/int color combo + love the "AMT annual 1969" box(art) & Kustom parts. IMO the '69 was the best looking of the '66-'69 generation.

...Always wondered what was the faith of the AMT 1969 Continental mold....Where is it??? totally vanished for nearly 40 years!

ERTL did bring back the '65 in the 70's,80's,90's...but the '69 never came back....gone for good? B):D;)