Model Cars Magazine Forum

2014 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

Just a minor update on my Charger Daytona. I filled the gap that was between the nose piece and body. I used 1 millimeter thick sheet styrene for it. After that I started putty work, but there is nothing to photograph so far. I guess it'll take a while to get all shapes correctly on the front end...

Before:

DSCN9884.jpg

After:

DSCN99021.jpg

Hello, I just joined primarily because of the Cannon Ball community build project. I was informed about this by Rob M. Not sure what he goes by on this forum. I have always wanted to do a cannon ball vehicle so this is a great inspiration for me. My projects are: '57 Chevy nomad with the best power plant available in '79, big block of course and a '72 Chevy long bed hiding a Cadillac Escalade chassis and power plant. Both will have plenty of room for extra fuel just like the 1:1 my nephew and I are planning.

I was informed about this by Rob M. Not sure what he goes by on this forum.

That would be me. I invited some folks in various scale auto type Facebook groups I'm affiliated with to bring in some new faces. Welcome to the forum and the CBP, A.W.

Hello, I just joined primarily because of the Cannon Ball community build project. I was informed about this by Rob M. Not sure what he goes by on this forum. I have always wanted to do a cannon ball vehicle so this is a great inspiration for me. My projects are: '57 Chevy nomad with the best power plant available in '79, big block of course and a '72 Chevy long bed hiding a Cadillac Escalade chassis and power plant. Both will have plenty of room for extra fuel just like the 1:1 my nephew and I are planning.

Just to clarify: engines, wheels, etc, are not limited to 1979 and earlier. But anyone who wants to add this restriction to their own build(s) is free to do that. This is my understanding.

002_zpsbf066825.jpg

After some consideration I have decided to change my car for the cannonball.The thunderbird was an old motor powered car so the detail is nonexistent.It would take more skill that I have to make it look descent.It also look to be way bigger that 1/24 scale.I will be building a 69 dodge super bee.i will be using a small block chevy instead of the 440 because of the twin turbos! i hope this is ok.

Edited by 001slick001

Excellent project idea's! Welcome to MCM and The Cannonball Run CBP!

That would be me. I invited some folks in various scale auto type Facebook groups I'm affiliated with to bring in some new faces. Welcome to the forum and the CBP, A.W.

That's an excellent idea Rob! New faces are never a bad thing!

Okay after being away for a few days "I think" I have the entry list up to date!

please tell me otherwise if I have missed you!

Nick

Here's the unstarted pic of my firebird. I'm currently trying to stuff lots NASCAR parts underneath it. I still need to decide on a powerplant, right now I'm considering a Ross Gibson Chevy stock car engine.

CAM00358_zpsdd56dc1b.jpg

Yer not gonna get very good gas mileage with that engine. :lol:

Finally picked up the AMT 1973 Mercury Cougar kit!

SDC11904.jpg

This kit is actually better than I thought, considering the fact that it comes with two complete engines and two sets of wheels. I'm choosing the Boss 429 engine that is included (yes included :P ) with the kit, though it comes with some sort of odd stock car-esque intake manifold. I've instead modified the 351's dual plane intake to fit on the 429 block. I'm also adding a 4-speed manual out of a '57 Bel Air kit, and will be opening up the trunk to display the extra fuel tank and battery.

SDC11906.jpg

For rolling stock, I found a set of Pirelli P7 tires that have tread which looks a lot like the older Mickey Thompson tires, and the wheels are the narrow/wide Centerlines from the '70 Chevelle 3n1 kit. The wheels had the chrome stripped and will be painted white to resemble basic steel wheels (not as a substitute, but rather to hide the fact that it's a powerful street machine).

SDC11905.jpg

I will be building a 69 dodge super bee.i will be using a small block chevy instead of the 440 because of the twin turbos! i hope this is ok.

Are you referring to the twin turbos from the Monogram Camaro Z-28? I think it would be awesome to modify that intake to be used on the 440 rather than put a Chevy power plant in a Mopar. That's just my $.02. I'm sort of a purist that way, but by all means do whatever works for you. The ambulance that Brock Yates won the Cannonball in,ran a 440, so history says its a winner.

Jordan, aside from the poor mold detail in the interior, that IS a good kit. Good choice. I built one a few years ago, and enjoyed it, although sanding down the molded vinyl top and getting rid of associated ghosting was a pain. Nice choice on the rolling stock too.

I am combining my Cannonballer with a club build that my local club is currently voting on. Sort of a two birds/one stone, kinda thing. We are down to the 70 Cuda or the 50 Olds, with the Cuda in the lead. More info next week.

Hi all...I'm new to this forum and i have to what a great site a great projects...I recently started a 70.5 camaro build and after looking at some stuff on here i thought "hey mine will fit in with the cannon ball stuff" so I'm worndering if i can get in on it, Thank you