Model Cars Magazine Forum

Home resin casting....

I picked-up a resin starter kit, and have been playing around with casting some tire sets. The first try is a set of big and little tires from the Revell Rebel Racer kit. I need a couple of sets for a 1969 Trans-Am Mustang build, and instead of stealing the tires I just cast a set. Not bad. The second set I cast, is a set of NASCAR slicks that have been widened a bit ( 60/40 split ) because I've always thought that the kit tires looked not wide enough. These will work on kits from the late 80's to the early 2000's. The third set I did ( in gray primer ) are NASCAR tires done a bit wider then the first set ( 70/30 split ) incase I didn't like how the 1st set looked. I also copied a GT racing seat from the Rebel kit. I think all in all they turned out not to bad for a serious 1st try at casting.

post-2490-0-51733100-1395864197_thumb.jp

post-2490-0-68132200-1395864235_thumb.jp

post-2490-0-65694200-1395864295_thumb.jp

post-2490-0-43079500-1395864494_thumb.jp

Edited by kitbash1

Very nice start!!! I have been thinking about trying my hand at it for my wife.She is a gardener and there are some things she has that are not made anymore.

Where did you find your set and how much?

A link if online?

Thanks a bunch,

George

All parts were cast with an Alumilite starter kit. Heres the link www.alumilite.com Thanks for the comments. I just followed the directions supplied with the kit. I also watched a few YouTube tutorials as well. One thing that I did when casting the parts, was to warm the moulds in a microwave oven on high setting for 1 and a half minutes and poured the resin slowly into warm mould. I also tapped the moulds on the bench top until I saw the resin start to change colour ( the resin goes from caramel colour to tan as it sets ) at the pour hole. There was no pinholes and zero flash.

Edited by kitbash1

Alumalite also markets a resin under the 'AMAZING RESIN' name, which (A) sets up white instead of tan (B) has a longer pot life and © seems to be less prone to air pockets. Hobby Lobby carries both products; the 'AMAZING RESIN' can be found in the craft section with candle and soap making products.....'Z'

Douglas, nice going. As Steven mentioned, I can also recommend Alumilite "white" which is nearly identical (if not the same) as "amazing casting resin." I love it and prefer it over everything else I've used. You certainly did a great job with the standard tan stuff though!

I use a table top griddle to pre-heat my molds. It allows easier control of temperature and consistent heating throughout. You may also try dusting your mold with baby powder prior to pouring resin.

Nice job!