Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 Plymouth stock car

shafer

You also need to change the hood. Petty ran a flat hood without the airgrabber or creases.

BTW, I'm following this one.

Incorrect. Both the 1971 and '72 STP Roadrunner ran the power bulge hood. Petty did run a couple races with the all flat hood, but plymouth wanted him to use these hoods exclusively. If people saw the winning car with one they would want the option on thier car. It goes along with the whole "win on sunday/ sell on monday" thinking. There were even a couple Chargers that ran with the stock hood, until Dodge stepped in and made him run the power bulge hoods.

petty01_zpsee09bd56.jpgKGrHqJosE63YPzdvHBPUrqMij60_12_zps90fb7a75.jpg

1972STPPLYMOUTH2_zpsa5f3b652.jpg

Edited by MAGNUM4342

By the way Clyde, I now have the wheels Jacen was supposed to send you. I'll have them in the mail monday. :) As for the rear bumper, that's not so tricky. You could go with plastic and putty to build up the proper taillight housings and file them to shape, but personally I would say lay hands on the MPC unit.

Since the MPC is 1/25th and the Revell you are using is 1/24th the MPC unit will be slightly too narrow. Just cut it down the center, top to bottom and use sheet plastic to widen it. Add enough sheet plastic to get it to match up flush with the fenders and the splash panel should line right up. I can provide the bumper with the wheels if you want. In fact, I can send you two resin bumpers. Just cut them slightly off center to get the width you need and glue the two parts back together. :D

I was going to mention the fenderwells and core support but I see you've removed them. These cars all exhausted both pipes out the driver's side. Other details you might consider, is the checkerboard pattern Richard's seat had, and the peace symbol head rest on the rollbar.

STP had a car in the 1971 Daytona piloted by "Fast Freddy" Lorenzen. A Ray Nichols prepared car. (also with the power bulge hood)

FredLorenzon71PlymouthSmall_zps51b53803.jpg

Edited by MAGNUM4342

I only see painted hood centres and not actual power bulge hoods ...

Petty switched to a Charger some-time in '72 .

They are there. Maybe not the best pics. I'll try to find some better ones. Starting at Michigan Richard began running Chargers, but he did not switch so much as add it to the stable.

In 1969 Richard wanted to switch to the Charger but was told no. He went right across the street to Ford and signed on to drive Torinos. The boys at Plymouth lost thier minds over this. They created the Superbird to lure him back to Plymouth. Richard was relatively happy with the cars he was running but still wanted to move to the Charger. In 1972 with teammate Buddy Baker running Dodges, the move was fairly seamless. He finished out the '72 season running the Dodges AND the Roadrunners. Richard did not like the '73 style Roadrunner and switched to Dodge full time in 1973.

can some one post up what the back of this car looks like in a pix - is the bumper , red chrome or blue, this will really help as i try to get the bumper close to right.

STPRoadrunner8_zps3597dd2b.jpg

A 43 on each side and a "Petty Enterprises" decal in the center. I thought I had a better shot but rear end views aren't real popular in racing. (Something about not being out front :P )

Edited by MAGNUM4342

Here are the changes I made to the stock kit

cut down ,reverse and fabricate a rear spoiler,

make sheetmeteal extentions for rear bumper , and door handel blanks

fill all seams , doorhandels, parklights, ect, and repair 6pack hole in hood using plastic body filler

integrate tbird - roll cage and dash to stock chassis

painted seat with checkerboard patter and added seat belts

added real hood pins

fabricate transmission tunnel on stock chassis

hole punch in meteal foil a fuel inlet used hole punchers for this

paint and decals

fabricate a front air spoiler that goes under the lower grille

make window brases from chrome pinstripe

so whats next

chassis componets and figuring where I can find a hemi to fit, kit came with 440 if i build this engine i will have to glue the hood closed, ( any one want to trade engines ?)

fix reaar bumper for correct look

post-10186-0-03979900-1348514283_thumb.jpost-10186-0-25345200-1348514293_thumb.jpost-10186-0-44977600-1348514332_thumb.jpost-10186-0-60167400-1348514267_thumb.j

Edited by shafer

Ken is correct. That's one of the better HEMI's available right now. The intake is fairly easy to scratch build too. Here's a shot of the engine bay. It's the 1971 car and a replica but it's correct almost to the last bolt for both years. I'm adding a resin intake and rear bumper to your package. I didn't make the PO today because Jacen came home.

1971Roadrunnerrestoration22.jpg

I have test fit the suspension and the wheels , but I am somewhat in limbo now with this build because new parts for it are on the way, i wont post more until i get the parts for the modifications.

thanks so much jacen and kevin

Edited by shafer