Model Cars Magazine Forum

No Dodge in Nascar next year

Have seen it to be the case with Sprint Cup and Nationwide but have not seen anything about trucks yet.

Yeah the 2013 Charger looked great. Don't know how competitive it would have been though.

And just as Chevy was going to run the Camaro in the Nationwide series in 2013 against the Mustang and Challenger. Now that would have been great for the muscle car fan but not to be.

Edited by jjsipes

I use to be a die hard nascar fan from way back,,but since nascar went COT, and there is no such thing as ford, chevy, dodge.

toyota anymore, I just lost interest in it,, its a real shame they cann't go back to what Nascar was.. I look at it as one more decal

missing from the sport,,,, RIP Mopar, How about Nissau, VW, Saab, ? Jagaur won once in the 50's, maybe we can get them back?

Edited by rel14

Guest Johnny

That's unfortunate...the '13 Charger race car concept they showed off a while back looked great. But Penske was their only engine supplier and team (I assume this is across all 3 series, not just Sprint Cup?)

Penske more than likely had inside information or was just given a heads up that they were pulling out.

That gave him the time to set up a deal with Ford.

I'm really disappointed for the Nationwide series. The Challenger looks so perfect. I'm not a fan of the COT but the current Nationwide cars are quite enjoyable and I can look at them an actually identify what car they are.

Mike

Nascar is not nascar anymore, when u can cheat all u want and not get in trouble because of your big sponser, it has went way down, i dont watch it anymore.

That is about the dumbest thing I have read so far

Not saying this is the main reason, but what all that I have read about Dodge packing up and leaving is, they were being greedy and wanted a top teir team, there were two confirm teams that went to dodge with interest of switching to them in 2013 , and a third un confirm team. It is also being reported that they might return in 2014.

Here is one thing to consider about Dodge, they do not provide factory support like Ford, Chevy, Toyota does, they do provide some , but its very little, so that was on reason why they had problems with getting the top level teams to run Dodge

Dodge did not support the any of the teams in the Nationwide series, or in the truck series

You still might see a Dodge on the track next year, per NASCAR rules, teams can run a make/model for three years after said make/model leave the sport. There are company's build dodge engines, and the front clip/rear clip, hood/ deck lid are stamped and teams can get those.

Edited by martinfan5

Who knows what the real story is..certainly part of it is if you can't get teams interested, there's no point in participating. I've also read that Fiat doesn't have much interest in supporting NASCAR at the corporate level, that they want to concentrate racing $$$ on the Viper program... (the article on Auto Extremist yesterday alluded to this).

Who knows what the real story is..certainly part of it is if you can't get teams interested, there's no point in participating. I've also read that Fiat doesn't have much interest in supporting NASCAR at the corporate level, that they want to concentrate racing $$$ on the Viper program... (the article on Auto Extremist yesterday alluded to this).

There are two confirmed NASCAR Sprint cup teams that did go to dodge in the early part of the year, but according to the teams, dodge never got back with the teams

Dodge to Withdraw from NASCAR at Conclusion of 2012 Season UPDATE 2: Dodge is expected to announce its withdrawal from NASCAR competition following the 2012 season, multiple sources with knowledge of Dodge's plans told ESPN.com. Dodge is expected to hold a Tuesday press conference [August 7th at 2:30pm/et] to make the announcement. Attempts to contact multiple Dodge spokespeople for comment were unsuccessful or resulted in no comment. Dodge was faced with a rebuilding phase beginning in 2013, after Penske Racing -- the lone NASCAR organization to field Dodges since 2009 -- chose to leave the manufacturer in favor of Ford Motor Company beginning next season. This isn't the first time Dodge has chosen to leave NASCAR. The manufacturer pulled out of the sport in 1977 and didn't return until 2001. Since that time, Dodge has accumulated 55 Sprint Cup victories. (ESPN)(8-7-2012)

UPDATE: SRT Motorsports announced that Dodge will withdraw from NASCAR competition at the conclusion of the 2012 season. Ralph Gilles, President and CEO Street and Racing Technology Brand and Motorsports, Chrysler Group LLC, made the announcement during a media teleconference call. The decision affects current involvement in both the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and NASCAR Nationwide Series. Penske Racing currently fields two Dodge Charger cars in the Sprint Cup Series and two Dodge Challenger cars in the Nationwide Series. Penske Racing announced in February that it would end its partnership with Dodge, which started in 2003, at the end of the 2012 season.

"We've spent an intense five months working to identify and evaluate all options for our future involvement in NASCAR," Gilles said. "A number of opportunities emerged, and our team worked diligently to put a structure together to fit our overall business and competitive objectives. While we have been pleased and enthused with the amount of interest from teams and sponsors over that time, in the end, we simply couldn't develop the right structure."

Dodge has recorded 215 wins in the Sprint Cup Series, including 55 since 2001, and has been represented in the NASCAR Chase for the Sprint Cup seven of the eight seasons. In 2010, Brad Keselowski captured the NASCAR Nationwide Series championship driving a Dodge from Penske Racing.

"It's an extremely difficult decision to know that we won't be there for our fans next season," Gilles added. "It's important to note that we have not lost focus on 2012 or the commitment to our partnership with Penske Racing in both the Sprint Cup Series and Nationwide Series this season." Keselowski currently is seventh in the Sprint Cup Series standings and has three wins in his quest to make the 12-driver Chase field for the second consecutive year. In Nationwide Series competition, Sam Hornish Jr. is locked in a four-way battle for the season championship.(SRT Moto

Edited by martinfan5

That is too bad. must be King Richard was getting engines from Penske too if that was the engine source

Negative, RPM (Richard Petty Motorsports) is in the Ford camp, and has been for the last three years, and get their engines and chassis's from Roush Fenway racing

Word here in Charlotte is that Penske has a racing engine shop for sale! Penske was building the Dodge engines for NASCAR but with them switching to Ford for next year, they have to get rid of that business.

In the end it all probably came down to factory support and money. With only 1 or 2 teams, I am sure Dodge did not feel the return on their investment made much financial sense.

I am wondering now if the Penske engine shop is still up for sale, with Dodge backing out now, there is no need for Dodge engines being built, and the whole reason of selling it was to keep the Dodge engine program going. Now I can see anyone buying it.

This is going to be another interesting part of Dodge leaving, what happens to the Penske engine shop, Penske does not need it, as they will get their engines from RFR engine program

Considering Roger consolidated his racing operations here in NC, I am guessing he will use the facilities and the people from the engine shop to improve his racing teams in some capacity if they are not building Dodge engines.

Sad to hear that Dodge will be leaving NASCAR, but the reality is they have been holding on by a thread since RPM went Ford 3 years ago and were down to Penske.

Considering Roger consolidated his racing operations here in NC, I am guessing he will use the facilities and the people from the engine shop to improve his racing teams in some capacity if they are not building Dodge engines.

Sad to hear that Dodge will be leaving NASCAR, but the reality is they have been holding on by a thread since RPM went Ford 3 years ago and were down to Penske.

That is true, for the past few years, Dodge has had three cars in the cup series, two Penske, and one from Robby Gordon, and he has all but pulled out of NASCAR, but Dodge did this to them selves, they never really funded, or helped fund the teams since really the Everham days going back to 2001.

I think Fiat wants to use the money from the NASCAR program and put towards they other racing programs

Negative, RPM (Richard Petty Motorsports) is in the Ford camp, and has been for the last three years, and get their engines and chassis's from Roush Fenway racing

Well you can tell I don't pay much attention to NASCAR and more into ALMS. My bad for lack of knowledge. :P

Edited by bigphoto

Dodge was worried about being competive when they got back into nascar when daimler own it. Dodge was competive and it helped thier sales. Now with the charger and challenger l have no ldea unless its fiat why they are getting out. is nascar as popular as it use to be ?