Model Cars Magazine Forum

Out of Cranky's Lab-RAT-ory–Endlessly Rocking

Question, would this hairspray technique as well as the salt technique work well enough with spray cans rather than an airbrush? I've got something in the works that I'd like to employ some of these tricks on but I'm using strictly spray cans at this point, no funds for an airbrush set up. Thanks.

Edit to add: Cranky, this truck looks awesome. Fantastic job. That pic of the dirty bed looks real. Great job.

Edited by Ryan S.

Thanks, chaps. Thanks for the kind words.

A crushed hubcap, now there's an idea . . .I would imagine it could be done using aluminum foil . . . hum . . .

Ryan, I don't think the hairspray technique would work as well (or if at all) with rattlecans because the rattlecan puts out way too much paint volume. Also, for the hairspray technique to work the final color coat has to be acrylic, not enamly or lacquer . . . acrylic softens up with the water which cuts down to the hairspray coat and then softens THAT and then the paint can be chipped.

But in this hobby you never say never . . . I wouls say give it a try . . . and report back.

Cranky, thanks for the paint tips, yor truly are the master of rust & dust! :blink:

Question, would this hairspray technique as well as the salt technique work well enough with spray cans rather than an airbrush? I've got something in the works that I'd like to employ some of these tricks on but I'm using strictly spray cans at this point, no funds for an airbrush set up. Thanks.

Edit to add: Cranky, this truck looks awesome. Fantastic job. That pic of the dirty bed looks real. Great job.

It does work! I used the technique on my Reaver.

Without meaning to hijack Cranky's thread, here's proof.

Reaver08.jpg

Reaver07.jpg

Regards,

David G.

Putting me in the same company with Ken Hamilton is an honor, buddy. Thanks, but Ken (like Chuck Doan) is in a galaxy all his own.

David, seeing your REAVER makes me want to build another WW3 vehicle. Too little time too man models!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Putting me in the same company with Ken Hamilton is an honor, buddy. Thanks, but Ken (like Chuck Doan) is in a galaxy all his own.

David, seeing your REAVER makes me want to build another WW3 vehicle. Too little time too man models!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

News to me- I had no idea Ken and Chuck Doan were from another galaxy! Maybe that explains why they glow in the dark...

David- I'm lovin' the REAVER too! :D