Model Cars Magazine Forum

Out of Cranky's Lab-RAT-ory–Endlessly Rocking

Cranky that's awesome. All the more reason I need to get a paint booth and get savvy with my air brush. What tools did you use distrssing the paint? I understand the water part. Was it just a stream of water on a localized spot and then a stiff toothbrush or something more agressive?

Chrome is easy to weather. Sprits it with dullcoat, black primer, and a little gray too . . . then after it all dries, you run a little wash over it . . . or you can dust it with the airbrush and sand-colored paint.

Thanks man, you do some amazing work. All of us talentless hacks appreciate having someone share thier ideas and skills with us. Keep up the good work.

• 1 year later...

You can see in this picture that I used a bit of color modulation technique which is just a fancy term for using paint to highlight and shadow individual panels . . . for example, you spray a lighter color toward the center of a door panel, over the tops of the hoods and fenders, etc . . .

IMG_4135-vi.jpg

I heard the term "color modulation technique " at a IPMS meeting.

On the tank the color was olive drab and it was very subtle.

Could you please elaborate a little on this technique for us mortals.

• 3 weeks later...

Joker, color modulation is a way to paint a model to replicate light and shadow. Imagine the primered model sitting in the sun. Where would the light cast shadow and what would appear brighter?

You also use it to add depth to flat panels. Prime dark, spray the base color just up to the edges, and sort of fog it over allowing the dark to just show through. Then lighten the base color and spray into the middle of the panel. This T34 is a good shot of the process on a turret.

003-4.jpg

and the entire tank.

001-3.jpg

Look at the different panels/hatches here. Notice the light and dark?

DSCF2223.jpg

This is after the final weathering. See the wheel hubs? They are lighter as well.

DSCF2229.jpg

G

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Doc your work is just absolutely amazing. Anytime I get down and depressed because I'm not getting the results that Id like to obtain, I just go to your you tube channel, watch videos, see your work and realize that being able to build and produce work like you do is what I'm building to accomplish.

• 1 month later...

Doc your work is just absolutely amazing. Anytime I get down and depressed because I'm not getting the results that Id like to obtain, I just go to your you tube channel, watch videos, see your work and realize that being able to build and produce work like you do is what I'm building to accomplish.

DITTO

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...