Model Cars Magazine Forum

Prostar vs. Lonestar - The Builder's Choice?

vincen47

Anyone build both trucks and prefer one over the other as far as the building experience goes?

I have read that these are both great kits. Moebius has done a great job bringing two modern trucks to the market.

I was wondering, from a builder's perspective, is there a difference?

Parts fit, accuracy, etc. I've read that the Prostar's tilting bumper and cab fit to chassis can be a minor issue.

Also, should I look for the Revell edition? The instructions and decals may be better, I've been told.

I built the Lonestar, and in process of building the Prostar. They build up nice. As far as issues, they have pretty much same issues. For me, i prefer the longer wheel base trucks, like the Lonestar. Thats why i stretched my Prostar. From a design stand point, i think the Prostar is a better looking truck. Im planning on building both again, maybe a few more of each. My only gripe is the Peostar is too short.

Do some research, look at builds of both. Ive been waiting to build the Prostar till i knew what issues there were so i could address them before they are an issue. The hood groove issue on the Prostar is just a matter of getting the radiator assembly too far back.

Edited by Petetrucker07

Both kits are same in terms of building and quality/detail, the Prostar has a much better instruction book than the Lonestar kit. Yes, I have built both, and to me, they both built up the same way, there was no difference in that. But , that is because the kits share a lot of the same tooling, I believe the only difference is the hood/bumper, frame and engines are the main tooling that is different.

So it just comes down to, what truck do you prefer the most.

Edited by martinfan5

Both kits are same in terms of building and quality/detail, the Prostar has a much better instruction book than the Lonestar kit. Yes, I have built both, and to me, they both built up the same way, there was no difference in that. But , that is because the kits share a lot of the same tooling, I believe the only difference is the hood/bumper, frame and engines are the main tooling that is different.

So it just comes down to, what truck do you prefer the most.

I thought both came with the same engine and transmission, the maxxforce 15/eaton autoshift, can anyone confirm this?

I have only built the prostar so far, [have a lonestar in the hoard], but it was a joy to build. only touchy parts are the 'hood hinge groove' and the hood hinges themselves. great kit, I even bought a second one for the hoard.

photo_zps21346355.jpg

with 53' trailer

photo_zpsc7e72ea8.jpg

I've built both of them 2 times over and I have to admit, I'm partial to the Prostar.....The frame IS about an 3/4 of an inch to an inch too short, but stretching it isn't too big a deal.....But a Must....There is like, one place that you can cut and all the alignment tabs and pins won't change....And that's just behind the exhaust stack mounting brackets.....One slice, and you can stretch it to your hearts content.....

The Lonestar was a great build and the first one I attempted.....I used Testors white glue for all those little chicken light holes.....Made it go WAY quicker and after some treatment with an orange Sharpie, looks just as good.....Now the lip just in front of the windshield wipers needs to be trimmed clean away....I didn't know that the first time around....The hood won't shut flush, if you don't....

The instructions for the Prostar ARE better......Used in conjunction with the Revell instructions for the Lonestar, and you can figure out where everything is supposed to go.....I used the Revell instructions right along with the picture views of the Moebius......You can't go wrong with them both at your side....

I like the Prostar better than the Lonestar, Solely because it has less chrome and is a little easier to build....And the engines are the same....They just have different intake setups and such, because the Prostar doesn't have dual air cleaners.....

If I had to pick something I don't like about these kits.....It would be that they engineered it to where there is no way to view the WONDERFULLY detailed interior.....I had to cut mine open.....

1341024x762_zps7e73fbf4.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

I like the Lonestar havent got the prostar but would give it a shot if given the chance. I got the lonestar as a present. Begged my parents for it because i saw a real one and fell in love with the retro look at the time i referred to it as the cadillac of semis.

19314_565395350157065_824264466_n.jpg?oh

And then after i wrecked my truck in january i saw a real version of my model

1472087_836010019762262_2120692286814070

• 2 weeks later...

The Prostar has an un prototypically short wheel base and the Lonestar a somewhat longer than normal wheelbase for an average 1/1 Lonestar but both kits are comparable in build and quality.

Both kits were engineered from Navistar CAD files and information, both are prototypically correct for wheelbase. Keep in mind, there are a few choices for wheelbase in 1:1 scale.

Art

• 4 weeks later...

I tried to find the instructions on their website but didn't have any luck. Can somebody post a link? I found a page of kit instructions but didn't see the lonestar listed.

http://www.revell.de/produkte/modellbau/nutzfahrzeuge-eisenbahn/trucks-trailer/id/07408.html

Click building instructions right below the paint color chips.enjoy!

You might need to translate the page at the top right of screen

Edited by gotnitro?

I too have built the Lonestar. Only issue is was getting the cab to sit right. Someone mentioned the un prototypical frames. I have seen an exact 1/1 Lonestar as the model at an IH dealer. If you know how a truck looks under the hood fitting the air intake tube will Go 8n place with patience. Can't wait to build the Prostar.

I too have built the Lonestar. Only issue is was getting the cab to sit right. Someone mentioned the un prototypical frames. I have seen an exact 1/1 Lonestar as the model at an IH dealer. If you know how a truck looks under the hood fitting the air intake tube will Go 8n place with patience. Can't wait to build the Prostar.