Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 RoadRunner E-58

RadRidesByDan

NICE....both, the real car AND the model. One of my all-time favorite rides. I agree with a couple of the other posts......Bare-Metal foil around the wheelwells and some white acrylic paint on the raised lettering on the tires, and you'd have a exact replica of your '74 RR. NICE!!

Mike

looks awesome , but i too have to point out something you missed

the seatcovers :lol:

seriously thoug, looks good

very nice.

who made this kit ?

i bought one a while ago and it didnt come with the roadrunner stripes :D

so this is how mine came out

(not quite done yet)

HPIM0287.jpg

if i ever got the chance to build a replica of my 1990 opel E kadett (pontiac lemanse stateside) i'd be all over that

kudos on the achievement of building something you owned

Edited by diymirage

looks awesome , but i too have to point out something you missed

the seatcovers :lol:

seriously thoug, looks good

very nice.

who made this kit ?

i bought one a while ago and it didnt come with the roadrunner stripes :D

so this is how mine came out

(not quite done yet)

HPIM0287.jpg

if i ever got the chance to build a replica of my 1990 opel E kadett (pontiac lemanse stateside) i'd be all over that

kudos on the achievement of building something you owned

AMT made the 74 GTX that came with green and blue decals....I bought my RR decals from Keith MArks in Anitoba Canada. The decals are excellent quality.

As for teh BMF, the seat covers and the raised whtie lettering on the model. I do not own the 1:1 anymore. Was traded for New luxury SUV, and the model is the previous owners hands. Was part of the buying deal when I purchased the real car. He took $500 off the sale price for me to build him a replica.

Alls I got left is pics and documented certificates that showed the car to be 1 of 6 registered in North America out of 1350 cars built with the police package option.

Alls I got left is pics and documented certificates that showed the car to be 1 of 6 registered in North America out of 1350 cars built with the police package option.

And you traded that for an SUV???!!!!

Holy $#&#@*&!!!! What in the world were you thinking???

And you traded that for an SUV???!!!!

Holy $#&#@*&!!!! What in the world were you thinking???

he wasnt thinking :rolleyes:

I actually was thinking.....In Feb 08 by the book the with out the document, the car was worth as a #2 car....$29,040. In June 08 the car ws up to $32,380, and by mid July, it was down to $28,640. The gas was going up and the values were going down...today the car is only set at $26,470.

Now the car was 98% original with 49,873 miles. You change 1 part, the value drops, you hit 50,000 miles the value drops even more. Now although my car was concidered a #2 condition car, And .....I was actually driving the car instead of leaving it in the garage, ......parts were starting to show wear and tear and falling apart. SO....I needed a new car for travelling which I couldnt afford....... the RR was showing its age which I couldnt afford to fix.... and the value was dropping.

So I went to the dealer with the car and the paperwork, said I want that SUV....we make a trade straight up, you keep my RR and I take your Luxury SUV (Chrysler Pacifica Loaded....which is built on Mercedes M class platform) and we are done. After 1/2 hour the RR was no longer mine, and the SUV was no longer thiers.

I originally bought the car for $8500 in the condition you see not knowing what it actually had for options. So I have a new car for a really cheap price.

Bear

I actually was thinking.....In Feb 08 by the book the with out the document, the car was worth as a #2 car....$29,040. In June 08 the car ws up to $32,380, and by mid July, it was down to $28,640. The gas was going up and the values were going down...today the car is only set at $26,470.

Now the car was 98% original with 49,873 miles. You change 1 part, the value drops, you hit 50,000 miles the value drops even more. Now although my car was concidered a #2 condition car, And .....I was actually driving the car instead of leaving it in the garage, ......parts were starting to show wear and tear and falling apart. SO....I needed a new car for travelling which I couldnt afford....... the RR was showing its age which I couldnt afford to fix.... and the value was dropping.

So I went to the dealer with the car and the paperwork, said I want that SUV....we make a trade straight up, you keep my RR and I take your Luxury SUV (Chrysler Pacifica Loaded....which is built on Mercedes M class platform) and we are done. After 1/2 hour the RR was no longer mine, and the SUV was no longer thiers.

I originally bought the car for $8500 in the condition you see not knowing what it actually had for options. So I have a new car for a really cheap price.

Bear

That's a tough choice you had to make. I understand your logic based on the price you originally paid for the car, but as a major MOPAR guy, I shudder to think you traded in a collectible vintage RR in #2 condition with a very rare option package for a Pacifica.

In the future the RR's value will rise over time, while the Pacifica's value will drop. In 5 years the RR will be even more sought after, while the Pacifica will be just another used car.

You realize that Chrysler has dropped Pacifica due to no sales. Maybe if you keep it long enough it might some day have the same collector car value your RR had.

I see your point about the RR's value being affected by mileage and wear and tear. If it was me I'd have garaged the RR and saved it for nice weekends, keeping the value up, and bought a cheaper car as my daily driver. But we all have different priorities, I guess. But man, I'd give a kidney to own a nice vintage RR like that!!!

Tough choice you had to make!

rare or not, id use that as a daily, forget the value. i bought my 74 dart sport (mostly original,had some rust repair at one point and repainted) but the interior is MINT, with fold down rear seat, all original running gear with 44xxx original miles on it (now has 46xxx). under the hood still has all the original hoses even!! i pulled the wimpy 7 1/4 rear for a 8 1/4, swapped the steering wheel for a grant, added a big stereo (did do any chopping, original AM is still hooked up and still works), and swapped the steelies for a set of magnum 500s (gonna have 13 or 14" wire wheels soon) and im gonna put dual exhaust on next year. gonna fix the rust and have my buddy paint it a flaked out green with black patterns on it. oh ya and i bought it for a total of $2080 in may of this year!!

almost forgot, when i pulled the back seat to run my stereo wires, i found TWO build sheets,BUT theres a twist, one didnt belong to my car!

Edited by Spike

That's a tough choice you had to make. I understand your logic based on the price you originally paid for the car, but as a major MOPAR guy, I shudder to think you traded in a collectible vintage RR in #2 condition with a very rare option package for a Pacifica.

In the future the RR's value will rise over time, while the Pacifica's value will drop. In 5 years the RR will be even more sought after, while the Pacifica will be just another used car.

You realize that Chrysler has dropped Pacifica due to no sales. Maybe if you keep it long enough it might some day have the same collector car value your RR had.

I see your point about the RR's value being affected by mileage and wear and tear. If it was me I'd have garaged the RR and saved it for nice weekends, keeping the value up, and bought a cheaper car as my daily driver. But we all have different priorities, I guess. But man, I'd give a kidney to own a nice vintage RR like that!!!

Tough choice you had to make!

Dont get me wrong...We have winters here and I cant drive that in the winter......I love MOPARS and it was very hard to hand over the keys to the dealership with all the paperwork. I had tears that day.....But.....When I had bought the car, it was to be torn into over a period of a few years to make it what I would of liked to have. But as I did some digging, the more I dug the more I found how original it was and it became a headache trying to figure out my next move. Knowing what I knew about the car surely did not help matters. So when my daily driver crapped out. My next move was actually made for me....as hard as it was....it was the right move......One day I will have another toy....not a #'s matching rare original car but a project car that I will be able to build to my specs. The 73 -74 RR's were never the most popular models of Mopar muscle and I took that in consideration. At the Barrett Jackson Auctions, I remember seeing a more rare 74 than what I had. It was the RR with the 318cid with AC and a 4 speed manual. there were only 212 of them made out of 11,555 RR's made that year, and it had a rotissery restoration done and it had sold somewhere around the $26,000 range. I know to Mopar fans its hard to understand my decision. But I will have another one one day......and it will be my way :lol:

Edited by RadRidesByDan

WANTED TO COMENT ON THE WHEATHERING

ON THE ENGINE, NICE TOUCH. WILL TRY THAT IN ONE OF MY

PROJECTS, I WAS THINKING ON DOING AN OPOSSITE.

A OLD CAR WITH A TRICKED OUT ENGINE LIKE THE

MOVIE TRANSFORMER, WHEN THEY OPENED THE HOOD

OF THE BEATED UP CAMARO, AND IT HAD A

NEW 350 WITH WEBERS AND CHROME ALL OVER.

WANTED TO COMENT ON THE WHEATHERING

ON THE ENGINE, NICE TOUCH. WILL TRY THAT IN ONE OF MY

PROJECTS, I WAS THINKING ON DOING AN OPOSSITE.

A OLD CAR WITH A TRICKED OUT ENGINE LIKE THE

MOVIE TRANSFORMER, WHEN THEY OPENED THE HOOD

OF THE BEATED UP CAMARO, AND IT HAD A

NEW 350 WITH WEBERS AND CHROME ALL OVER.

I think that would be actually quite cooooool to see. Your typical guys first car. Not the car that girls would want to get caught seen in....... but can run with the best at the friday night street meets.

Go for it Bro......2 thumbs up