Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looks like I wont be building any time soon....

I am new here, but not to model building. I have been on a break from building for a few years and was thinking about getting back into it. I have been looking through this site and others for inspiration and ideas for future builds. Yesterday I was outside doing a little work to my 1:1 truck. A 1990 Ford Ranger Super Cab 4x4, when I started it up, I began hearing the dreadfull noise that no mechanic wants to hear. The sound of metal ticking inside the engine block. I Immediately shut the truck off to prevent future damage. I began Trying to think of the possibilities of what the noise was. I have detrmined that it is coming from either cylinder 2 or 3. I am waiting to get some money (wallet is dying of starvation) since I had just spent a good deal of money in other parts for it. When I get the chance, I am going to start tearing it down and looking into it more. I am almost sure of what it is. If it is what I am thinking is that a couple of the lifters have collapsed causing other parts to slowly wear out and cause the noises. I will have to spend a few hundered in parts because I hate taking my truck to the shop (don't trust stupid people nowadays). Hopefully, when I get the rebuild done, I can maybe get back into building models again.

Here are a few pics of the truck:

post-10346-0-29258300-1345439969_thumb.j

post-10346-0-56298300-1345440052_thumb.j

post-10346-0-55332200-1345439904_thumb.j

Ah, Rangers! I love those things. Often (literally) to death! That's the thing about them- they don't break too often, but when they do, it's always in grand fashion. I've got an '89 myself that's going to need a clutch pretty soon. But she's 23 years old with 145k, so I guess I can't gripe too much!

I drove my 89 (2.9) for 16 years then my brother wanted it. He drove it for a few more years. It had well over 200,000 miles on it when the engine finally turned loose. While I did change the oil and do the proper maintenance on it..I wheeled it a lot. LOL

Its on the back burner for a transplant now.

Ah, Rangers! I love those things. Often (literally) to death! That's the thing about them- they don't break too often, but when they do, it's always in grand fashion. I've got an '89 myself that's going to need a clutch pretty soon. But she's 23 years old with 145k, so I guess I can't gripe too much!

Yeah. These trucks are really tough. I love mine to death too. I wish mine was a manual, but the 4.0 with a manual was a really rare package.

I drove my 89 (2.9) for 16 years then my brother wanted it. He drove it for a few more years. It had well over 200,000 miles on it when the engine finally turned loose. While I did change the oil and do the proper maintenance on it..I wheeled it a lot. LOL

Its on the back burner for a transplant now.

At-least you still have it. What kind of swap you going to do in it?

But she's 23 years old with 145k, so I guess I can't gripe too much!

That's great milage for the age! I bought a new one in '04 and it was out of warranty in 14 months.

After about 3 years and a little over 70,000, a commercial F350 pulling a trailer decided to do a U-Turn across a 6-lane street from the shoulder - right into the passenger side. Was time for something new anyway and, gotta say, those things are built well for side crashes. Still drive it occasionally to keep it running right - still like new except for the bashed in passenger door and a few cracks to the Flareside. But that did cut down on the everyday milage!

I know. I have a few models that I need to finish still, but I need to buy all new brushes, paints, cutters, and all that good stuff. I also need to go buy another working table. And it looks like I will be spending all of my money on the truck for a while.

A work table can be absolutely free. This is made from a door on two sawhorses, all found at the local tip:

2369970358_e010820608.jpg

A cutter is less than a Tenner from Radio Shack and a set of useable brushes is obtainable for a Fiver. Hardly investments that couldn't be shelled out even by people who are on the dole.

If it has a carberator and you weren't the first owner I would thake the heads off because some people would accidentally drop small screws or something down the carb and instead of getting it out would start the engine up which would cause the screws or whatever to get imbedded into the pistons and when the pistons rose the screw would knock against the head and could cause a cracked head after a while. Anyway hope I helped some. Nice truck by the way.

If it has a carberator and you weren't the first owner I would thake the heads off because some people would accidentally drop small screws or something down the carb and instead of getting it out would start the engine up which would cause the screws or whatever to get imbedded into the pistons and when the pistons rose the screw would knock against the head and could cause a cracked head after a while. Anyway hope I helped some. Nice truck by the way.

It's not carborated. But the truck did sit up for a while since it was a deer-lease truck for 8 years before I got it and dirt dobbers did find there way into the intake and built nests all inside it. I thought I had gotten all of them out, but apperantly, there were some that were a little further down that I couldn't reach.

I know there are ways that I can get a building table and materials really cheap. But since I don't have a real job, (only 17 and trying to get the truck running for a job), all of my money that I do get has to be focused towards the truck for a while. I am not a spoiled rich kid that gets hundereds of dollars a week in allowence. I have to work for everything I get now. So I have no idea how long it will be before I can get back to the hobby. I will try my best to stay on the forum when I can to keep in touch with everybody and keep getting ideas.

Yeah, you really have to be careful of all those people putting screws inside carburetors of cars they sell----------------

Seriously,

If you have loose screws inside your cylinders, it will only take a couple of seconds before you notice that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CadillacPat

I would, but none of the local junkyards will let you run the vehicles or test the engines, so I would be running the same risk of buying an engine that is in the exact same shape mine is.

Quite true....

But, after many years of getting used engines, I'll be the first to tell you that a reputable yard WILL stand behind what they sell. And usually as a pretty decent discount.

I would suggest, though, if you buy a used engine to change the stuff that usually brakes while it's out- starter, alternator, a/c compressor, power steering pump, and so forth, provided your budget allows. At a bare minimum, I would do the starter- much easier to change without the rest of the truck in the way.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

I would, but none of the local junkyards will let you run the vehicles or test the engines, so I would be running the same risk of buying an engine that is in the exact same shape mine is.

Not to undermind your capabilities, but your far better off with something from the factory with 100k miles on it, then something you have pieced together, unless your going full modified.

Any reputable wrecking yard will have compression #'s as well as the vehicle milage it came from, if its a pull your own type of place...Go for the crunched vehicles....at least you know they were moving, I laugh when people tell me they got a "tranny" from this cherry caravan, looked like it had been garaged all its life, what a score !!!!......hmmm, why was it in the bone yard I wonder ???

Not to undermind your capabilities, but your far better off with something from the factory with 100k miles on it, then something you have pieced together, unless your going full modified.

Any reputable wrecking yard will have compression #'s as well as the vehicle milage it came from, if its a pull your own type of place...Go for the crunched vehicles....at least you know they were moving, I laugh when people tell me they got a "tranny" from this cherry caravan, looked like it had been garaged all its life, what a score !!!!......hmmm, why was it in the bone yard I wonder ???

The deal with the only junkyard around me is ran by Iranians that can barely speak english. I am rebuilding this also since this will be my first v6 rebuild. I am used to building up V8s. I am not replacing it with factory parts. I usually don't even trust engines or trannys from junkyards since I don't know the history of the vehicle.

If the truck sat for a long time, there's a good chance you've just got a couple of stuck lifters that will free up as she circulates warm oil. 'Worn out' mechanical noises just don't start with no warning. They usually start very small and almost not-noticeable and get worse if ignored.

A noise that wasn't there and begins suddenly one day when you start the vehicle, if it's a tapping or ticking as you describe, is very often just a STUCK lifter....nothing more....and it SHOULD clear up with some gentle running and warm up.

I wouldn't bee ess you......I kinda know this stuff. Here's my website:

https://ace-garage.com/

Feel free to PM me with questions.

If the truck sat for a long time, there's a good chance you've just got a couple of stuck lifters that will free up as she circulates warm oil. 'Worn out' mechanical noises just don't start with no warning. They usually start very small and almost not-noticeable and get worse if ignored.

A noise that wasn't there and begins suddenly one day when you start the vehicle, if it's a tapping or ticking as you describe, is very often just a STUCK lifter....nothing more....and it SHOULD clear up with some gentle running and warm up.

I wouldn't bee ess you......I kinda know this stuff. Here's my website:

https://ace-garage.com/

Feel free to PM me with questions.

The truck never sat up for more than a couple months at a time. And the noise doesn't go away after warming it up. I have let the truck run for about 30 minutes the other day and it never got quiter. I am going to start with small stuff and do a tune up on it such as new plugs and wires, oil change, new filters, and all that good stuff. If none of that helps it, then I will procede to start tearing it apart.

And I do know what I am talking about. I grew up in a mechanic shop. When I wasn't in the shop, I was with my dad working on his vehicles. I have learned allot more than allot of people care to. Although I am better with the V8s than I am with V6s, I still know my way around them.

And I do know what I am talking about. I grew up in a mechanic shop. When I wasn't in the shop, I was with my dad working on his vehicles. I have learned allot more than allot of people care to. Although I am better with the V8s than I am with V6s, I still know my way around them.

Thennn.. Why are you trying to fix and internal noise with tune up parts? Does it run bad ?

Thennn.. Why are you trying to fix and internal noise with tune up parts? Does it run bad ?

Because before I jump to a quick conclusion, I am going to give it a nice tune-up and see if that helps with any of the noises. I have worked on allot of engines where a simple tune-up can help quite a few problems.

I am not stupid, so don't come jumping on my like you know everything.