Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sneak Preview: Shelby Daytona Coupe 2

Here is a sneak Preview of the master of what I like to call the Shelby Daytona Coupe II. It's a coupe conversion for the Revell Series I roadster. One day I was looking at the Series I kit thinking that the front end looked more like the Daytona Coupe than it did the Cobra roadster so I did this quick sketch of what i had in mind;

seriesone-vi.jpg

Don told me to run with it, so after months of scratch building and finessing the shape here it is in plastic;

IMG_4180-vi.jpg

IMG_4181-vi.jpg

IMG_4182-vi.jpg

IMG_4183-vi.jpg

IMG_4186-vi.jpg

IMG_4187-vi.jpg

As soon as I finish up the interior, and get rid of the mold lines from the Revell portion that remains, I will be sending this off to Don, to put in rubber and cast up. the filler panel in the rear window will be removed after shipping the master, to prevent any of the bodywork cracking on the way. I'm not sure when it will be released, but I would imagine postive responce at this point would move it closer to the head of the line. what do you guys think?

Edited by Darin Bastedo

Darin, that is Gorgeous!!

Did you take the roof section off the old Gunze kit? That looks 100% better with the added roof than just a convertible!

I have that kit laying around, and now there's a good reason to build it! :lol:

Cut the roof off a Gunze Daytona? Even I'm not that crazy. The roof rear of the windsheild header is 100% scratchbuilt. This photo shows it in progress before I added the tail spoiler. everything that isn't from the original kit is evergreen plastic.

IMG_2422-vi.jpg

Here is a sneak Preview of the master of what I like to call the Shelby Daytona Coupe II. It's a coupe conversion for the Revell Series I roadster....

What do you guys think?

Well, since you asked...

Great concept idea!!

::WARNING::

If you are just looking for a pat on the back, stop here!! ;)

Now...

What would make it look better:

The rear spoiler looks a bit too thick, and the rear window,

does not appear to be wide enough.

IE: The rear window, looks as though, it will be flat, or mostly flat.

It should have a complex curve to it, like that of the original Daytona Cobra Coupes

(or Viper GTS Coupes).

IMG_4181-vi.jpg

barnfind1.jpg

replica:

2-4.jpg

With the flat rear window, it looks more like a Datsun, or Datsun based replica,

than it should.

6e6c_12.JPG

386f_12.JPG

Replica:

2886004_26_full.jpg

(Personally, I would have tried to leave a bit more structure to the rear panel,

("Deck lid"??)like the Datsun replicas have.

It is a "new"or "updated" concept after all.

The reasoning for this is that

if this car were designed today, I think it would be required,

in case of rear end collision or "spin out". (Crush zones and all that)

I think that, I would have tried to use the Viper GTS's rear window,

if possible, but not the roof.

bfbd_3.JPG

As this "MAY" have saved time and trouble.

The Viper roof, is no good, as it has "2 humps"

and these make the roof look like a Barbie dolls butt, made into a roof. :(

This is JMHO yours may very well, vary greatly. HTH :P

Well, since you asked...

Great concept idea!!

::WARNING::

If you are just looking for a pat on the back, stop here!! :)

Now...

What would make it look better:

The rear spoiler looks a bit too thick, and the rear window,

does not appear to be wide enough.

IE: The rear window, looks as though, it will be flat, or mostly flat.

It should have a complex curve to it, like that of the original Daytona Cobra Coupes

(or Viper GTS Coupes).

IMG_4181-vi.jpg

barnfind1.jpg

replica:

2-4.jpg

With the flat rear window, it looks more like a Datsun, or Datsun based replica,

than it should.

6e6c_12.JPG

386f_12.JPG

Replica:

2886004_26_full.jpg

(Personally, I would have tried to leave a bit more structure to the rear panel,

("Deck lid"??)like the Datsun replicas have.

It is a "new"or "updated" concept after all.

The reasoning for this is that

if this car were designed today, I think it would be required,

in case of rear end collision or "spin out". (Crush zones and all that)

I think that, I would have tried to use the Viper GTS's rear window,

if possible, but not the roof.

bfbd_3.JPG

As this "MAY" have saved time and trouble.

The Viper roof, is no good, as it has "2 humps"

and these make the roof look like a Barbie dolls butt, made into a roof. :lol:

This is JMHO yours may very well, vary greatly. HTH ;)

I agree with your assesment to a degree, but Just like the 1:1 car manufacturer I had other considerations to take into account when designing this. If it was a one-off I would have gone with a more complex shaped rear window/hatch area, but had I done it on the resin master, we would have had to include a vacuformed window piece adding to the price of the body. I chose a thicker spoiler in the rear to balance out the heaviness of the front end of the car. I think that was one of the faults of the series one roadster is that it looks very nose heavy. The spoiler looks a lot better in person. as far as using the Viper parts go, the series one is a much smaller car than the Viper. The lines just don't match up that well. I appreciate the critique though, and when I build my copy of this I may incorporate some of the changes you suggest.

I agree with your assesment to a degree, but Just like the 1:1 car manufacturer I had other considerations to take into account when designing this. If it was a one-off I would have gone with a more complex shaped rear window/hatch area, but had I done it on the resin master, we would have had to include a vacuformed window piece adding to the price of the body. I chose a thicker spoiler in the rear to balance out the heaviness of the front end of the car. I think that was one of the faults of the series one roadster is that it looks very nose heavy. The spoiler looks a lot better in person. as far as using the Viper parts go, the series one is a much smaller car than the Viper. The lines just don't match up that well. I appreciate the critique though, and when I build my copy of this I may incorporate some of the changes you suggest.

I do respect, and understand the decision, to not do a Resin Master for casting,

that would require a vacuformed window. It is an interesting subject,

and I hope that you sell many copies. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there friend! Just wanted to say that Ill be waiting for one. Soon my garage will have two. One will be for the sunny days.DSCF1005-1.jpg Then soon, ill have one for the days i have moose in my hair HaHahA!. Thanks for heads-up! Keep us posted.

Peace

AJulia

• 2 weeks later...
How did you get a moose in your hair? That would be very uncomfortable. Heh heh

I didnt notice that until just now lookin for any updates on the concept Shelby I meant mousse= instead of that heavy coat on my head HaHA good one Ramonsblues!!! :unsure:

Peace

Ajulia