Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where does one route the fuel lines on a vt 903 Cummins?

Prettymuch, the title says it all... I'm working on restoring the blue Transtar 4300 that I got in that big truck junkyard buy and it is equipped with a naturally aspirated vt 903... I have found several good overall pics of this engine and cannot see where the fuel lines between the pump and the cylinders run. Are they under a cover? I know on an International v800, they all run to the center of the rocker covers and then under to each cylinder. As for the 903's lines, am I worrying about something that can't even be seen? If so, no worries, I'll plumb what I see in the pics and move on. B)

The VT 903(90nothin,as us that had to work on them called em)Fuel system is a "pressure time" fuelsystem and does not use external injection lines,the injectors are actuated by a camshft lobe and the fuel is supplied by drillings in the cylinder heads The only fuel lines you see are those going from the pump to the front or rear of the heads,depening on engine configuration.

I wish I had some pictures.

I have a few pictures and I see that clearly, now.

34y4oy1.jpg

116v1fl.jpg

I was wondering if that was how it was... I just wanted to make sure of what I was seeing. I'm not up on diesel engines and have never seen a system like that. I thank you for clearing this up for me. Now I know what I need to do. You've been a BIG help! :)

Been a mechanic for 30 years and seen alot of stuff come and go,I actually dont have a whole lot of modeling experience,and I have learned alot about that,so Any time I can help with the 1:1 stuff I'm happy to do so,glad that helped you.

Edited by dad vader

One thing I've learned about clicking on the Reply box, if you click toward the top of the text box, you will unintentially activate one of the text mods such as underline, or cross out... If you click in the lower half of the box, you don't have this issue... :rolleyes: Thanks for your help, you helped solve my problem!

Well i had 4300 with VT 903 twin turbos 15 double over and talk abought FLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure the twin turbos did a number on that beast! I've been thinking about adding a turbo to this engine. As it comes in the kit, it's naturally aspirated and I just don't think that's going to cut it for what I'm wanting to build... a late '70's/ early '80's owner operator truck with roof mounted AC, add-on sleeper and headache rack, pulling a flatbed. I think it needs a bit more oomph than the 290-300 ponys that the NA version puts out.