Model Cars Magazine Forum

small drill bits

What are torch cleaning drill bits and how are they different from regular drill bits, which are available in dozens of sizes?

I guess what I'm asking is... there are already normal drill bits available in almost every size imaginable, so why would "torch cleaning bits" be any better?

What are torch cleaning drill bits and how are they different from regular drill bits, which are available in dozens of sizes?

I guess what I'm asking is... there are already normal drill bits available in almost every size imaginable, so why would "torch cleaning bits" be any better?

The normally available (in the hobby anyway) "numbered drills" come in US wire sizes, which are expressed in decimals (thousandths) of an inch. For really small metric drills, it might well be better to have a set of those tip-cleaning drill bits.

Art

I had forgotten about tourch cleaning bits. It has been years since I've had them. Harry, they are tapered and you use them for cleaning the tips of acetylene torches. They get a carbon buildup and you have to lightly ream them. They could be useful in model building.

Torch tip cleaners are different from torch tip drills. The drills are actually steel twist-drills in sizes from about .022" to .065". They are used with a pin-vise, and are marketed in sets appropriate to cleaning oxy-acetylene welding and cutting tips.

Torch tip cleaners are very small round files in the same diameters, with a straight pilot-shank to start them in the torch-tip hole, and they typically come in a fold-up gang holder/handle to keep them protected but handy. I have several sets, and they are sometimes useful for modeling to enlarge a small hole without drilling.

A good set of Huot (still American made, I believe) micro-drills from .0135" to.039 (80-61 number drills) lives on my model bench. Real, decent drills, require a pin-vise, and available here, cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Huot-metal-drill-index-sizes/dp/B00018A1Y6

The Chinee no-name ones tend to snap or go dull the first time you use them. What a deal.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 3 weeks later...

Torch tip cleaners are different from torch tip drills. The drills are actually steel twist-drills in sizes from about .022" to .065". They are used with a pin-vise, and are marketed in sets appropriate to cleaning oxy-acetylene welding and cutting tips.

Torch tip cleaners are very small round files in the same diameters, with a straight pilot-shank to start them in the torch-tip hole, and they typically come in a fold-up gang holder/handle to keep them protected but handy. I have several sets, and they are sometimes useful for modeling to enlarge a small hole without drilling.

A good set of Huot (still American made, I believe) micro-drills from .0135" to.039 (80-61 number drills) lives on my model bench. Real, decent drills, require a pin-vise, and available here, cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Huot-metal-drill-index-sizes/dp/B00018A1Y6

The Chinee no-name ones tend to snap or go dull the first time you use them. What a deal.

* note the product link is only for the case ... does not include the bits

Edited by scalenut

• 2 months later...

Hi fellas.

was wondering does this set of bits have the right sizes to drill out distributors?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/drill-set-61-80-ZON37150

and will this pin vise hold the small bits? or does it have to be one of those twist drills?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/swivel-head-pin-vise-ZON37140

thanks

it says it will work with 0in. to 3/32in, does #80 and smaller bits fit in to those inches?

Every pin vise I've ever had, and the ones I use today, have one collet (chuck if you will) that will close down to "infinity" (completely closed), which will work with any of the smallest drill bits you will ever use.

While the drill sets sold by Xacto, Micro-Mark etc. are great, particularly for their drill index storage cases, individual drill bits from them are expensive. A few years back, when doing some pretty serious model car machining (yeah, I have a lathe and vertical mill here), I went looking online, and settled on http://www.discount-tools.com/CATALOG.htm which is an online tool jobber, who will sell to us ordinary mortals, as well as to industry. They sell those same numbered twist drills that come in the hobby oriented drill sets, in packs of a dozen of any one size, for very reasonable prices (around $3 per dozen). They sell online, and their delivery is prompt (small packages such as those are shipped via USPS).

Given that those very small high-speed steel (HSS) drill bits are fragile (they break very easily), this makes it very easy to keep a stock of your favorite sizes handy. (very satisfied Discount Tools Company customer here!).

Art

Drillspot.com also has bits from #81 - 90 something. they are made with a bigger body so you can either finger twist or chuck them. the sets have multiples of the same size; they're prone to breakage via radial thrust.

i know someone will correct my explanation; that's the fun of posting!

Edited by southpier

• 2 weeks later...
Guest G Holding

Why are they junk Anne....dull? breakage? where did you get them, and the brand ?

I have a exacto set for a dozen years, very few replaced as I only do plastics now

Edited by G Holding

DON'T BUY CHEAP TOOLS. Walters makes a pretty decent set and there's a place that I think is called Drillmaster.com or Drillbits.com. They have the tiny bits with larger shanks and are supposed to be excellent.

Do yourself a favor and take a look at Dremel's cordless drill. I use it all the time for starter holes. Get an extra battery and charger for it.