Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Word Of Caution On The Old Pro Modeler 1969 Charger's

Lee1

Great site! I figured I would make my first post a contribution and history lesson with the Revell Pro Modeler 1969 Dodge Chargers.

In a nutshell, there are two different bodies to be found in this line. A misproportioned roof and a corrected roof. I remember back when these were still un released, everyone was stoked over the release of this kit. There was tons of pre-orders and the kit was going to be hard to find at the start. The kit was released, then recalled, but most of us kept our cars and the revised cars came along a little later. Now, there are still tons of these recalled Chargers still floating around.

From what I can tell, there is no way to tell what style you have by the box. You can only tell when you open the box. Interestingly, the instructions did not get a revision, so even later cars have the weird roof on them. Here isa side by side comparison. The orange body is the first run, white is the current. Note on the first run orange painted body how the roof sits lower. It also has a bit of a boxy shape toward the rear sail panels. The white body is more rounded, like a real Charger.

post-2174-1194413646_thumb.jpgpost-2174-1194413670_thumb.jpg

There is nothing wrong with the first version outside of proportional accuracy. Just a heads up as you may want to skip the Pro Modeler and go with the lower cost standard package version as those are always the revised body shape.

Edited by Lee1

I remember a model magazine had a number to call if you had the first release of that kit, which I did. I called the number & they said they would send the new parts as soon as they were available. Well, a few weeks later I recieved a box that had an entire new kit in it. Outwardly, like you mentioned, is the same. Looking inside, I found the decals were corrected/changed and then noticed they changed the interior rear seat/package shelf area (since they lowered the tulip panel), which also caused them to change to rear window. That was all the changes I found. It is still a great kit.