Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished - The Goatrod

Lyle Willits

DSCN4612-vi.jpg

'66 GTO reissue from Revell. Paint is Tamiya Mica Red and Duplicolor Universal Black with a couple coats of Tamiya clear pearl.

DSCN4615-vi.jpg

Scratchbuilt hood scoop. Expanded aluminum mesh in grilles and bumper. Moved turn signals into lower bumper.

DSCN4614-vi.jpg

Made a new tail panel and used the same aluminum mesh.

DSCN4616-vi.jpg

Wheels are Pegasus Hellas, painted semi-gloss black with red anodized wire spokes added,,,,,,,,just to make them different from every other set of Hellas I've used.

DSCN4623-vi.jpg

Engine is the kit 389 with the old blower setup from the AMT '57 Chevy, modified and smoothed and a bunch of scratchbuilt stuff added.

VEry nice...great paint schema.

Where do you get that Mesh ? I want to build a Hertz SHelby (new one) and need that style mesh to replace the 06 Mustang GT grille...

Actually, I've had that expanded aluminum mesh for about 20 years. It originally was a 6X8 inch sheet, that was given to me by a military modeller who I worked with. I've just about used it up - in fact, this may be the last model because I just have a few small pieces left.

HOWEVER, I think you may find what you're looking for from Model Car Garage. They have several photoetched mesh patterns to choose from.

http://www.modelcargarage.com/

Click on "Street Rod Grilles"

Also, you can find several fine mesh sheets in some craft stores, such as, Michaels, if you have those stores in your area.

You could give this stuff a try if you're looking for aluminum mesh. I ordered it from my local train guy but it's listed in the Walther's catalog.

f9151987.jpg

Aluminum mesh by Scale Scenics #652-3500

It's sold for small scale dioramas and is real expanded metal.